Kol__

Neo Scorcher, Plasma Edge II or Dark Impact

As the title guys, looking at these 3 buggies and going to get one for Xmas. It will be my first 4WD RC car this side of more than 2 decades! Any thoughts on which is the better car, use will be running and bashing for this one and I'm looking for mod-ability as well. Any thoughts from the experts and/or owners of these 3? Cheers

I only have the Neo Scorcher of the 3 you mentioned.  I have to say it is by far a very fun and capable bashing-at-home car.   I love mine.  I have the metallic pink one that Tamiya released in limited edition (?).  Car drives well out of the gate.  It has always been my go-to car for driving out on the sidewalk/driveway/street.

GL with your decision, Kol__!

• Like 2

The DF03 is likely more capable than the TT02b, but then it should be, with its greater price…. 

• Like 1

I too re-joined the hobby about a year ago. I have the DF03 and I got my son the TT02B. 

After a year of failure and upgrades I have my opinion of both. 

The DF03 is a “better” buggy in my opinion but it seems like aftermarket parts are getting hard to find. The ball diffs and tight tub make it a little tough on beginners. It has a reputation for being fragile and I have already snapped a rear gearbox and damper support.  I have spent a decent amount of time and money on mine and it sure is fun to drive... just so smooth and in control.  I cross my fingers it keeps on going. 

The TT02B has low ground clearance which bothered me so I got DF03 dampers and the Tamiya Hop Up supports as well as larger diameter tires. This helped tremendously.  I also wanted it to go a little quicker so I went brushless. That led to me being paranoid about the diffs so I converted to oil filled. IMO this thing rips… its just an angry little ******. I turn the travel down for my son. 

I really have fun with both. I would say if you are into the “hunt” for parts and like to fix bugs… DF03. If you want to buy… hop up and abuse then TT02B. 

Bringing them both to an indoor clay track for the first time this weekend.  Curious to see how long they go before breaking… lol. 

y4m3DFlRuDTr3eWX5owo1A_8yXQVWodXWQqLbfui

y4mZ6djnKaI1gwThEM_AvV19KTOryphUX-FDGAXh

y4mEWJW-vFjK_JTskcau0mrAsVeH0I4EDoqq6oHa

• Like 1

First things first. The Neo Scorcher and Plasma Edge II are the same buggy with the difference being the Plasma Edge looks far better, so rule out the Neo Scorcher (I'm joking, but only a bit. The Plasma Edge looks like a 90s buggy and is cool, the Neo Scorcher is a bit pants)

I only have the TT02B but also have others to compare, other brand race kits and some rere buggies.

The TT02B sits low, is heavy and can't jump very well. The only weak point is the rear diff and you have easy options there. Buy DF02 metal diffs which are a direct drop in and handle much more power, or treat the diffs as disposable (which i do now) as they are cheap enough and my TT02B's are now loaner cars for my sons friends and our neighbours. The DF02 diffs seriously suck power from the kit motor, but are bulletproof. They are a great upgrade to run say 13.5T brushless. Otherwise you just need bearings and you have a decent runner. Don't go crazy on hopups, they are expensive and won't really improve it. Save the money for a better kit. It is fast on tarmac though as its a touring car with longer arms and shocks.

The DF03 has to be more capable than a TT02B but parts sound hard to find. I don't have one. If you can find the key parts (a gear, proper diff parts) then it should be bulletproof though, @Wooders28 will know more as his 5S powered DF03 is still alive!

I would recommend a DF01 based car, so Top Force, Manta Ray etc. There are heaps of parts available as they share a lot with the TA01/2 as well, so Tamiya and the aftermarket providers are still making them. They handle well and are a proper buggy with good ride height.

The TT02B is probably the safer choice just because of parts availability 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have both the Plasma Edge 2 (TT02B) and the Dark Impact (DF03).

The DF03 drives better and jumps better, but honestly it is fragile and parts WILL break. The TT02B on the other hand is a right workhorse. Every part I've fitted to mine has been an upgrade, I've yet to replace any part because it broke.

Also as mentioned above, DF03 parts are quite hard to find, while TT02B parts and upgrades are literally everywhere you look.

I too recommend a TD4, because it supposedly handles better than both and it's a new buggy, therefore very well supported by Tamiya. But it is more expensive.

If your budget cannot stretch to TD4 money, then I'd go for the TT02B.

• Like 1

Aye ,the DF03 is a cracking buggy, BUT , you need a good few upgrades to make reliable, that's if you can get them...

Thanks guys, it does seem like the best option for me is the TT02B. I prefer the look of the Dark Impact and the fact it apparently performs better, but disappointed to hear it is rather fragile compared to the Scorcher/Plasma. I'm looking for something low budget and hardy here, whilst keeping it Tamiya. The Avante is out of the question, as it's 3 times as much cash and also don't think I could enjoy bashing with such an expensive car tbh.

Even though the TT-02B won't jump as well etc. if it's easy to mod and replace parts, at £112-16 in the Makeitbuild BF sale, it sounds like that's a solid bet.

Does anyone know if I can get a Rising Storm body set from anywhere? 

DF02 is another option. 

As far as "which one is better," I'd say TT02B and DF02 are almost the same. DF02 has a slight edge, like metal gears. It was built to be a buggy from the start.  Jonathon's report on metal gears draining power makes sense.  Adding few grams on rotating mass would do that.  But pot metal gears were used on almost all Tamiya kits, so plastic gears are the unusual ones, historically speaking.  It depends on what motor you'd use though.  On the other hand, TT02 started out as an on-road chassis. B version is buggified version (is that a word?).  DF03 is a sophisticated version of both. 

And many people consider older DF01 Manta Ray to have a better driving characteristic than all 3 mentioned above.  

• Like 4

I have a DF02 AeroAvante my wife bought me a long time ago.  It's also a nice option, but the TT02B drives better overall.  

I agree that the TT02B is really more a rally (gravel) buggy than off-road.   Does real well on uneven sidewalks and loose pavement.

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I have this that came in another buggy that it really wasn't suitable for. You reckon I can run this in the TT-02B? Maybe have to upgrade to the metal diffs?

mg7kLW3.jpeg

UVXWZr8.jpeg

Yes that should go well without needing the high speed gearset as the kit FDR should suit that motor. The kit diffs may last depending how you drive it. Mine get ruined because kids drive them and just stay on the throttle - they can be stuck against a wall at full throttle and don't seem to notice the gears grinding. Landing jumps is another one, let off the throttle as you land. See how it goes, the stock diffs are very cheap its not the end of the world if you ruin one or 2.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 9:33 PM, Kol__ said:

Thanks guys. I have this that came in another buggy that it really wasn't suitable for. You reckon I can run this in the TT-02B? Maybe have to upgrade to the metal diffs?

UVXWZr8.jpeg

Brave soul, running 4000kv on a 60 amp esc without the supplied fan (there are other factors at play, but I'm making reasonable assumptions). I'd try to find it and install it if possible, especially on a TT02B where it will be under more load than in the current 2WD buggy it's on.

To update guys, I've gone with the Neo Scorcher (Xmas present from the wife to me;)). It's the durability element that was important for me here, plus there's loads of mods available. Also, I prefer the shell to the Plasma Edge and I don't have a buggy with a forward cockpit like the Neo has.

If I go with that 8.5T brushless motor and ESC in the Neo Scorcher (it's got to go into something, might as well be this at some point in the future) @DeadMeat666 I'll be sure to install a fan as well then, thanks:)

• Like 1