So here's a look at my trucks. Nothing groundbreaking but someone might find them interesting. First up, my Clodbuster 2, at the moment it is back to a one piece body but this is where its going and might get a body/chassis stretch yet. 

ENqUkNu.jpg

Next my mod clod i have been building for nearly 2 yrs and its still way off finished but will run now. Custom everything. Very little bought off the shelf. 3d printed parts designed in Blender 3D. Body masks done in Inkscape and cut on my CraftRobo cc-120. First time with masks and went ok, just my impatience that screwed it up a bit when i did the paint. First time with that and it'll do fine.

A7PEfcn.jpg

TNM00Cg.jpg

Third up is my Jugg stretched to 16" for a Nikko F-150 Supercrew body. Pics tell it all.

KsfzTFz.jpg

87KG7zT.jpg

Fourth is my slow go piecemeal Jugg 2. Slowly getting there when i find parts but its not a quick build.

oP6NwBL.jpg

And this is something i started messing with in lockdown but its completely stalled. I do wanna finish it sometime but can see it taking years. Its probably gonna get a TXT under it now, my mates fabbing some chassis rails for me at the moment.

tEzXQXt.jpg

Edited by ad456
Figuring out this picture malarky
  • Like 9

Very Impressive. Loving that metal chassis that's been welded together. Also the top pic with the sectioned Clod Buster shell, oh, and the V8 going into the Wild Willy. Lots of work still to do though :)

Did you 3D print the Wild Willy body. How did you get the model for it ???

• Like 1

Cracking stuff . I like all of your work - truck #2 is excellent with a great stance - well done !!

• Like 1

@MadInventor Thank you! The chassis was cut to fit the body and try to give the most support possible to the body given the size of it. Its due to go back out to my mate to get  a few welds and some grinding done, he's a hobbyist blacksmith so he has a better steelwork setup than i do.

The split clod is intended for a stretch cab and a small bed stretch and drop and chassis is going to get some steel rails based off the original chassis. That ones a long way off as i need another truck done first to be on duty as the runner.

The Wild Willy body and driver are on a 3d printing site for free download so i dutifully nabbed that and tidied/split it up bin Blender. I then printed the body as panels, checked the fit and cut them from plasticard and used PlastiWeld. The original 3D model is a scan from the looks of things and i don't know how accurate it is as i have never seen a real wild willy:D

Here's the concept at the moment

7n9Gwo8.jpg

My builds take years though as i have so many big ones on the go and a young family and my attention randomly wanders between builds.

Here's a 1/8 Mad Max Interceptor destined for a custom chassis with Mad Force axle on the rear. This is on my ECX Torment to check if I'm headed to right way. I did the front clip in blender again using pics of the real car that had been stretched to suite the Proline Desert Eagle body.
49WOu2T.jpg

And another, my Wild One thats getting some FAV treatment 
ldhSDpY.jpg

Anyway, I digress as this is about the monsters.

• Like 3

@KEV THE REV It took some fiddling to get the stance right on my Bedlam truck, with a big 3s in it the whole this sinks a wee bit but drives just right. It’s getting some thunder tech axles this weekend as there is something seriously wrong with the RC4WD ones in it right now(creaking knuckles):wacko: and got some of UKMonsters lower arms for it too until I get my mill working right and do my own. 

I’m totally stalled with the Interceptor jus now as I’m struggling with the rear clip for the body so gonna get on with a chassis and come back round to the body. 
And I love that war rig @MadInventor did, it is TRULY EPIC!

• Like 1

Very nice custom work, love them all.  That stretched Jugg is very cool with the hard body.  I wanted to stretch a Jugg at some point but keep the leaf spring setup which would require skills that I'm not sure I have.  Maybe someday.  

Do you race the Bedlam truck?  Looks like an effective setup.  

• Like 1

@87lc2 thanks! I’ll never get to race that truck, I’m on the Orkney isles and am several hundred miles at least from any race action if I’m very lucky. However I did clone some Trigger King ramps at the end of my furlow period last year. My truck wasnt finished till after that though so haven’t tested it yet. On the street it’s a really nice drive tho and once I get it rebuilt I’ll give it a good bashing:D

The chassis itself is nothing groundbreaking, designs have been homaged throughout the thing. Team Juice Cube and ACRC chassis were the main inspiration. The body was my most nerve racking part as designing a livery that works is hard(worse when it’s your first and I don’t have a lot of faith in my own work!)  

The Jugg stretch came about through winning job lots on eBay. Too many parts so might as well build another and when I found that body it was a no brainer. It was meant to be a leafer but it wouldn’t vibe right so I just went with shocks

I generally 3d print my designs to check fit and then I’ll transfer to delrin/aluminium once my skills evolve. Most of this is done crudely at the moment until I get the mill wired and sussed out. 

Edited by ad456
  • Like 1

Oh that's too bad, racing these beasts is a blast.  I spend a lot of time in my yard with my trucks & homemade ramps for practice and even that's a ton of fun.  There's something artful about launching a monster truck in the air when you hit the ramp just right, I love it.   I don't have any super modified Clods like that, but have been thinking about it recently.  Most of mine are full chassis trucks, but yours is a lot better for racing. 

That body came out great, heck of a lot more creative than anything I've ever done.  I usually just do single color jobs with decals that replicate real trucks.  In part because I love all the trucks I saw when I was a kid, but mostly because its just easier :)   

Keep up the good work and be sure to share more progress, love seeing what other people do with RC monsters.  

@87lc2 as a BMXer and skater in my younger years I fully get the ramp launch, it’s a great feeling. Love getting backflips from my clod too. It’s jus class watching it. I spend too much time watching racing on YouTube. Frankly not enough gets uploaded or I can’t find it. 

I have to admit that I danced around avoiding doing and more so posting up these things as I didn’t think my ability was good enough but feel a lot more capable and confident after everyone’s likes and comments. I’d say jus go for it and have a go and if it turns out half as good as you want then it’s worth it, the next will be better. That’s my 3rd go at that chassis for the clod and it’s really night and day. Not bad for a jigsaw and some Yato files. It’s slightly crooked from lack of skill and patience but the first was plain drunk:D

The tire shaving was another ****htening thing, was I gonna end up with flat spots etc. Outcome was fine, not the best but not a total pigs ear either. What a difference in handling, no more flips from turning and does well on dirt and grass. 

If ya feel the slightest urge to have a go the do it, the feeling of “I made this” is cracking!

1 hour ago, ad456 said:

I didn’t think my ability was good

You undersell your abilities and creativity my friend , your work is excellent and the trucks / projects show this - keep up the great work

• Like 2

And i feel proud changing to Traxxas Joint propeller and Shaft :lol: on TXT-2, well im still proud off myself so please dont stop telling me i did good when posting final result sometime next week

• Like 3

@simalarion Thats how i started i think, Replacement becomes Modification then onto Fabrication as you get braver and more practiced. 

• Like 3

Yea, shaving Clod tires is not the most fun (or clean) thing in the world, but makes a huuuge difference.  No more rolling in hard corners when the tire catches.  Back before JConcepts tires I shaved a ton of them.  Still run Clod tires on a few trucks, but most of mine have newer rubber. 

Don't ever be afraid to share your work, especially on TC.  Your builds make mine feel simple, haha.  To each their own, I never see anything on here that I don't appreciate in one way or another.  

• Like 1

So I swapped out my RC4WD XVD tonight for Thunder Tech because there was severe binding between the steering knuckles. As I went I compared the two,  the only difference I could find was the length of the main shaft. The Thunder Tech ones are a much better fit, no binding and the gearbox was even smoother. Here's a pic of what i found, is the difference enough to cause this?

TTR top RC4WD XVD Bottom

W0qc3xm.jpg

eFgrewW.jpg

And another random question for those with lots of trucks, any ideas on a rack to hold them? 

Yes, that's enough to bind them.  I rarely use RC4WD aftermarket parts, they're just not right and usually poor quality.  I do like their new Clod beadlock wheels (Ignitors) and run a few sets, but have never really been impressed with their products other than wheels/tires.

I build stands for every one of my trucks to keep the tires off the ground.  I just use 1x3 or 1x4 end pieces with 2x3 center sections cut tothe axle width of the truck.  Simple but effective, keeps the tires off the ground and suspension loaded when not in use.  I also travel a lot with my monsters to races so handy to keep them from rolling around in the back of the car.  

• Like 1

On the Orkney Isles with a pile of rc truck bits a 3D printer & a vinyl cutter eh..

Yep, my life sucks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Zero said:

On the Orkney Isles with a pile of rc truck bits a 3D printer & a vinyl cutter eh..

Yep, my life sucks.  

Its worse than that, I've 2 vinyl cutters (I inherited free from my Mum's old business), nearly 2 3d printers, a 3040 Cnc Mill(waiting to be wired up safely first) and a 150 sq ft shed:lol:

Suck it does not, your 100% right there. Just lost a bit of motivation for my stuff, now thats sorted thanks to everyone here I'll get back to into things again properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ad456 said:

Its worse than that, I've 2 vinyl cutters (I inherited free from my Mum's old business), nearly 2 3d printers, a 3040 Cnc Mill(waiting to be wired up safely first) and a 150 sq ft shed:lol:

Suck it does not, your 100% right there. Just lost a bit of motivation for my stuff, now thats sorted thanks to everyone here I'll get back to into things again properly.

*blocked*

• Like 1