Sign in to follow this  
vintagebackyardrc

Wild One VS Fox

Back in the late 80's, there was a off road track right up the road from me. My dad would take me there to watch the races. They raced 4 min heats, and only had 2 classes: stock buggy 540 can, or open mod motor. 99% of the cars at that time were 2wd Tamiya's, and all the fast guys used either the Frog, or Fox. I can remember to this day what a great time everyone was having.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, silvertriple said:

@vintagebackyardrc

Did you considered doing lap times with all the gearing options to compare?

I put the largest gear in the Wild One (think it was 18t) and matched it in the Fox. Really not sure of internal gear ratio of both cars but top end speed of both cars seemed very close. Wish I had time to really dig deeper with the shootout videos...but it's a crunch to fit everything for a shoot in now that it gets dark sooner.

4 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

Back in the late 80's, there was a off road track right up the road from me. My dad would take me there to watch the races. They raced 4 min heats, and only had 2 classes: stock buggy 540 can, or open mod motor. 99% of the cars at that time were 2wd Tamiya's, and all the fast guys used either the Frog, or Fox. I can remember to this day what a great time everyone was having.

I am a Huge Wild One fan now and have always loved my Fox. This video was beyond fun to shoot. I just wanted to keep driving them lap after lap. 

That's a cool story. The days before the rc10 domination were very different times. I recall seeing my 1st race as a kid as well and it was mostly Frogs and a few of the Cox/Kyosho cars. When we went the next year it was all Goldpans...lol.

7 minutes ago, vintagebackyardrc said:

I put the largest gear in the Wild One (think it was 18t) and matched it in the Fox. Really not sure of internal gear ratio of both cars but top end speed of both cars seemed very close. Wish I had time to really dig deeper with the shootout videos...but it's a crunch to fit everything for a shoot in now that it gets dark sooner.

Well, I guess it's difficult! But I guess it would not change the hierarchy neither :-)

But it might be totally unfair for the Hornet, grasshopper and Frog :-D

• Like 1

Love it! 

The comparison was really close against each other. Performed almost the same but the WO just landed better from jumps. The independent front shocks can also be seen to perform better than a mono shock set up. Although the WO has more under steer. But the drifting is simply cool. Plus the WO looks way better to be honest.

If this was shown in the 80s, I would have drooled even more. I'm just glad I now have WO. Because it was my dream kit ang only had a chance to have one this year.

Great video as always! B)

• Like 1

Great vid, as allways. The new design on the jumps looks more harmonic. Nice drifting from the WOB).

I remember a local toy shop had a Fox and it was so expensive that it stayed there and got sold first at the closedown of the shop in 1988 (when a lot went wrong financially here in Norway). My brother bought a Hornet at the closedown sale and actually got the rear wheels from the Fox kit, because they were missing in his kit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Love it! 

The comparison was really close against each other. Performed almost the same but the WO just landed better from jumps. The independent front shocks can also be seen to perform better than a mono shock set up. Although the WO has more under steer. But the drifting is simply cool. Plus the WO looks way better to be honest.

If this was shown in the 80s, I would have drooled even more. I'm just glad I now have WO. Because it was my dream kit ang only had a chance to have one this year.

Great video as always! B)

Thanks so much! When we played the Wild One slow motion back we were stoaked. It drifts amazing and if you look close...actually picks up the inside wheel in full drift. Looks so darn scale! It really only needs some shock tweaks and will be perfect. Trying to squeeze a few vids out before snow so tweaks will need to wait. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vintagebackyardrc said:

Thanks so much! When we played the Wild One slow motion back we were stoaked. It drifts amazing and if you look close...actually picks up the inside wheel in full drift. Looks so darn scale! It really only needs some shock tweaks and will be perfect. Trying to squeeze a few vids out before snow so tweaks will need to wait. 

I did replace all the shocks in my WO. Works much better than the stock ones.

• Like 1