TRF201-Driver

Tamiya Kits w/ Hobbywing ESC's?

3 minutes ago, TRF201-Driver said:

I noticed on Tower Hobbies' website that there are 11 Tamiya kits available for pre-order that come with a Hobbywing ESC.  I tried searching and didn't find any info on this.  Anyone know why they would do this?

Tamiya kits w/ Hobbywing ESC's

Not sure if its connected but I saw a post from Tamico the other day that said Tamiya are struggling for their own esc`s so something else would be substitued. Don`t think Hobbywing were mentioned though

I've seen some posts on Insta saying that it's directly related to the chip shortage. US kits will get the 1060 and Europe will get a Carson ESC. I usually just upgrade to a 1060 anyway for the LVC, so this is an improvement to me, but I do like to have 1 or 2 Tamiya ESC's for brushless use.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bash said:

I've seen some posts on Insta saying that it's directly related to the chip shortage. US kits will get the 1060 and Europe will get a Carson ESC. I usually just upgrade to a 1060 anyway for the LVC, so this is an improvement to me, but I do like to have 1 or 2 Tamiya ESC's for brushless use.  

That was it,Carson ESC`s. Mind from what I`m hearing Hobbywings are running a bit short at the moment as well

Looking at Carson website, they appears to be effectively Mtroniks with a different sticker. 

I’m not normally one for ‘unboxing’ video’s but all 4 of these kits come with a HW1060….

• Like 1

That's a great deal if you get them with the 1060's.  Unless one was hoping to save money by running brushless with the TBLE's.. 

Just saw this on TTM. 

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/carson-500906264-speed-controller-dragster-brushed-cars-boats-switchable-suits-nimh-lipo-made-hobbywing-p-68923.html

"These are branded Tamiya-Carson as they are ESCs that are currently arriving in some Tamiya kits (due to Tamiya not being able to source their own ESC due to chip shortages)."

I have a lot of HW stuff, but the 1060 is junk.  I'd much rather have the Tamiya ESC.  Every single 1060 I've ever used went into limp mode (LVC I assume, its well documented online) after the fourth of fifth pack through it.  Their other ESCs are great and never had an issue, but not a fan of the 1060.  Actually need to replace the one in my GH2 now, was running it last weekend and kept going into limp mode.

Hopefully for you guys overseas the Carson unit is better.