Nobbi1977

DT-03 Charity build for LIVEs

https://www.lives.org.uk/

This charity attended the scene of a friends dads accident a few weeks ago. Unfortunately he did not survive. The family have put LIVES as the nominated charity at the funeral. 

The gentleman involved was everything a good person and dad should be and he used to be quite involved in local RC racing as his son was a driver.

My plan it to build a RTR DT-03 in LIVES colours (yellow and black) and then auction it off to raise some money. I am fully aware it will probably raise less than I spend but at least I feel I have put some time in rather than just giving money.

I have the DT-03 waiting so now I need to order some yellow paint. I have a tin of Gun metal in stock so I will use that as the “black”. 

No hop ups just a stock build unless I get carried away 😂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear that about your friends dad. I think it's a nice idea to do a charity build and I'm looking forward to the result. 

15 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

I'm sorry to hear that about your friends dad. I think it's a nice idea to do a charity build and I'm looking forward to the result. 

Just waiting on LIVES to give me permission to use their colours before I start

@Nobbi1977 if you can hang On a couple of days I’ll gladly order you the couple of cans of paint you need.

I’ll drop you a PM this evening if ok and we can sort out.

Nick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really sorry to read about your friends passing.

From memory this is your 2nd charity build and it says a lot about you,

I’ll be making a donation at the weekend.  

• Like 1

What a great shout @Nobbi1977 and so very sorry to hear about your friends passing.

So there are parts and materials you need? I think put up a list and we can pick them off for you perhaps? Bit like a wedding gift list concept;)

One thing I'm going to do to my Amazon bargain Neo Fighter is dye the white wheels a better colour. Have you thought about that? I would be happy to order you a bottle to match your colour scheme when I order mine if you like? I just need to make up my frickin' mind which colour scheme to go for!!:lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rit-Liquid-Dye-Clothing-Fabric-Plastic-Wood-All-Purpose-Dye-NEW-COLOURS-/321585194159?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kol__ said:

What a great shout @Nobbi1977 and so very sorry to hear about your friends passing.

So there are parts and materials you need? I think put up a list and we can pick them off for you perhaps? Bit like a wedding gift list concept;)

One thing I'm going to do to my Amazon bargain Neo Fighter is dye the white wheels a better colour. Have you thought about that? I would be happy to order you a bottle to match your colour scheme when I order mine if you like? I just need to make up my frickin' mind which colour scheme to go for!!:lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rit-Liquid-Dye-Clothing-Fabric-Plastic-Wood-All-Purpose-Dye-NEW-COLOURS-/321585194159?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I think I have about everything I need at this point. I did think about dying the wheels but it might be over kill for this project. Thank you for the offer though.

To be honest putting more money in to the project is unlikely to achieve more money for the charity. I have a small pistol grip controller I will use to make it RTR which might increase the value a little.

• Like 1

A quick start on the build yesterday

Build area is still the kitchen table

7-A53-D44-B-31-E6-40-FA-8-A3-C-F17928-B2

Tub and front end I a quick job

FD19328-B-DF46-45-E8-AFDF-CA156-B55-A127

Diff build with a little AW grease

9-B555-B46-5099-46-F3-913-A-6051-CCC1352

Torque Tuned with stock Pinion. Don’t think I have ever fitted an alloy one before.

8-FF8-DE74-F44-D-48-FE-9-DBF-8-F6-F933-E

Gearbox finished and fitting will happen another day

B122-CD62-3-E1-D-4705-80-F0-2866-C56-C75

No servo fitted because I had forgotten about that. I think I have one laying around somewhere but it might be overkill for this build. I need to hunt in some more boxes to find it 😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grumpy pants said:

Donation made as promised 👍

08-E7-D4-E1-ED75-46-B5-9776-9-DE791-EBD6

Thank you very much. I might need them one day

Dug out the radio gear that is going with the build. Not new but very close to new. I had three sets of these, they are small and great for younger kids

93-F451-A7-6031-4-DFE-A061-4100509-D5-A1

Set the servo

B2-E0-C324-6-EBE-442-E-AA0-C-F0-E4-D878-

Forgot to take any photos and then built the shocks…

172-EDF04-65-ED-4279-8-CFB-812180-FC1146

And that’s the main bit of the build done. Got to prep the body now and decide on colours. I am tempted to paint it black and then design the fluorescent decals for the outside so the new owner can easily change it if they want.

• Like 3

So LIVES have said I can emulate their colours. Which is great for marketing but not so great if you want a normal car. So the plan is to do the car in black and then sticker the outside with yellow. This will look (nothing actually) like the LIVES cars but allow the new owner to remove the stickers and apply the stock ones.

I have done a mock up over the spray film, remember the car underneath will be black. Wheels have been dyed yellow, it is quite dark but the cars have two different yellows on them. Another member suggested the wheels and offered to pay for the dye. Another offered to buy the paint. I have not taken them up but I am truly grateful for the offers.

I will need to colour print some logos and “ Critical care team” stickers.

D0-F085-E5-3-A46-4-E1-B-BC88-1452312-E6-

72-F3-BF9-A-2-CEB-4474-B72-E-17-CC262269

EBB4-DDC6-310-D-4217-9-E61-2-BEE9-DB46-B

The roof needs changing to match the wing I think.

• Like 5

"Critical Care Team" is going to set it off a treat. 

New favourite Tamiya slogan takes place of "No Guts No Glory" which might struggle on an ambulance. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

"Critical Care Team" is going to set it off a treat. 

New favourite Tamiya slogan takes place of "No Guts No Glory" which might struggle on an ambulance. 

I did think that as I was looking at the sticker kit 😂

Quick update. This is a slow build because I want to get away from Christmas before I list it.

Body painted and hi viz stickers applied. This stuff is horrible to work with and do nice cuts and edges with. 

Need to print some logos now to finish it off. Electronics are in but I have lost my XT60 to Tamiya adapter so I need to wait for a new one before I can move on.

A60-CC4-FF-4638-45-F7-9903-B1-BD508-FFA8

I have differed from the first mock up because I did not like the stripe bits. I may add bits later though.

54-AFD0-C5-F1-A7-4520-B576-D8-FBF7-C3221

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Body painted and hi viz stickers applied. This stuff is horrible to work with and do nice cuts and edges with. 

Probably too late now, but instead of using hi viz stickers (the honeycomb pattern and thickness does not look right at this scale anyway), how about masking and using fluorescent yellow paint instead? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Probably too late now, but instead of using hi viz stickers (the honeycomb pattern and thickness does not look right at this scale anyway), how about masking and using fluorescent yellow paint instead? 

I did look at that.I wanted the new owner to be able to go back and apply the stock stickers if they did not want to keep it in the same scheme.

I might look at some thinner yellow vinyl instead 

Just now, Nobbi1977 said:

I did look at that.I wanted the new owner to be able to go back and apply the stock stickers if they did not want to keep it in the same scheme.

If I am to own such a special once off scheme, I will definitely keep it. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this has been sat looking at me for more than a year. The reflective yellow vinyl was rubbish and looked terrible and I totally lost heart with the project.

I did a biker down course earlier in the year that was attended by Lives and I ordered some different yellow for the car. I then ordered more because yellow is actually orange in vinyl speak and I needed buttercup.

so I have spent a couple of hours today mocking up a scheme and I think I am closer to where I need to be 

It is never going to be perfect but I am about at the limits of my talent.

So I need to pull it all off now and give the body a good clean before I cut some more. I might see if I can get a slightly better vinyl as well.

So what do you think? Is it a passable approximation? Where could I improve before the final version?

spacer.png

fOlr353.jpg

Y1xAIvh.jpg

• Like 2

Looks much better now I think. And it's also just such a lovely idea. Would it be possible to use that logo, maybe on the wing? I think the word itself would make sure that car was linked to the charity. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Looks much better now I think. And it's also just such a lovely idea. Would it be possible to use that logo, maybe on the wing? I think the word itself would make sure that car was linked to the charity. 

I am going to print some logo stickers as well. I will offer it to them when it is done if they want to raffle it. I have spoken to them and told them what I am doing.