vintagebackyardrc

Holiday buggy paint.

Have any of you painted the re-re H.Buggy yet?

I was planning on using Tamiya acrylic model paint but the abs body is way more flexible then say an old Grasshopper or Sand Scorcher body.

Should I use Lexan paint and clear over it instead? Worried about it cracking off. 

3 hours ago, vintagebackyardrc said:

Have any of you painted the re-re H.Buggy yet?

I was planning on using Tamiya acrylic model paint but the abs body is way more flexible then say an old Grasshopper or Sand Scorcher body.

Should I use Lexan paint and clear over it instead? Worried about it cracking off. 

Hi don't paint the holiday buggy no paint will stick to it you must leave it plastic only.

There are many much older posts about this in the archive. If I remember the trick is to heat the plastic surface. Have a dig in the search bar but the posts might be 8-10 years old

I read you're supposed to heat it too, but I've not painted the plastic personally.   I read it's plastic similar to those used on trash and recycle bins. :lol:

Might even consider basic colors from Krylon for plastic lawn furniture.. (?)   

Keep us posted on what you decide.   That was one of the reasons why I did not purchase a vintage HolidayBuggy as I wanted to place Willy on there, but then if I can't paint it olive drab or battleship red, no meaning.

Just finished building one myself.

That PE material is meant to resist paint by being permanently "oily". Almost anything will slide off. There is a possibility that etching primer may work but I do not have any to try and those are really meant for metal. 

• Like 1

I painted a basket case shell by scuffing the shell then using a plasic primer then finish paint . The paint is holding even after all these years , but it is a shelf queen and doesn't get run in anger . I wouldn't advise painting a good shell to run

• Like 1

Would Plastidip spray work? This tends to form more of a rubbery skin over the body which if blended in onto the underside of the shell might keep itself in place? 

Heat the surface with an air gun until it shines but doesn’t bubble - or (worse) darken 

It’s almost like drying hair in terms of the rapidity of movement / air flow 

The shell will then cool into a more matt / textured finish that will hold paint 

If you plan to run it, a final layer of PS Clear reduces chipping but as others say it will always be more vulnerable than others 👍

Did the torch method. You can absolutely see it turn "shiny" then matte. Scuffed it with a scotch bright pad, cleaned with 80% alcohol, hit it with adhesion promoter/plastic primer and automotive primer. 

Looks like it's sticking just fine...but I am going to let it dry for a few days and test it. No going back now!

Thanks for tips guys.

• Like 2

I hope it works.

There are some HBs that are painted:

I have the Red version of the re re HB and would love to have that matte finish. Sadly my Shell has a Crack and i don`t find any glue that works....

• Like 1