Sign in to follow this  
burakol

Tamiya RC Value Guide

Just wondering if there is such a thing? With a tight budget at hand and a very long wish list, I was hoping that there is some sort of a value guide we can refer to when tryng to estimate a proper ball park when acquiring Tamiya kits whether it is a BNIB kit or a used one. I am currently looking to get a Stadium Blitzer, an Avante black, and  Fox. I mostly do local ads and private sales and steer away from Ebay. It would be very helpful if we do have this info to use. 

You’ll struggle with anything meaningful as there are too many variables, spec, sentiment and market forces being the biggest 3 imo.

eBay recently sold prices and watching the listings of the things you want to buy are your best bet. 

• Like 2

150 for a Vintage Stadium Blitzer? No decals, decent painted body, running condition... My gut says go and looks like a decent price, but considering I may have to buy a new decal set and a body to get it restored, might as well buy a kit if I can find one... 

• Like 1

I can speak to the Fox. I have been watching them for about a year and bought 2.

I paid $140 last year for the first one and $160 a couple weeks ago for the second. They are both vintage and the first one was in MUCH better shape but still had cracks in the standard spots. Seems like you will be spending at least $140 for a somewhat decent complete vintage Fox. 

I do think it’s a good time to buy with spares and choice of buying vintage and restoring or just going the re-release route.

Prices have been really high for sometime, but they have definitely come down in the last few months and some good deals are around.

Just take your time and choose carefully, Blitzers are about £100 right now give it take a margin. 

1 hour ago, burakol said:

150 for a Vintage Stadium Blitzer? No decals, decent painted body, running condition... My gut says go and looks like a decent price, but considering I may have to buy a new decal set and a body to get it restored, might as well buy a kit if I can find one... 

A little high at $150.. It’s going to be cracked in a few places so you’re gonna need replacement parts. A new body/decal set (TBG/MCI) is going to run you $70+. 

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

A little high at $150.. It’s going to be cracked in a few places so you’re gonna need replacement parts. A new body/decal set (TBG/MCI) is going to run you $70+. 

Yeah, at $70 plus the cost, might as well find a bnib for a little more. At least it won't give me any surprise headache and does not need any rebuilding. 

It has always been my experience that the models you want to buy cost a lot more than you think, and the models you want to sell are worth considerably less... that's all I know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, burakol said:

Yeah, at $70 plus the cost, might as well find a bnib for a little more. At least it won't give me any surprise headache and does not need any rebuilding. 

I think eBay is gonna be your best bet. That’s where I get all my stuff from pretty much and no problems. Been shopping on eBay for a decade +

• Like 1

I always seem to have the knack of selling when prices are low, and buying when they are high. So do the opposite of what I do :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I notice that in the past year or so, the prices of used cars, 1:1 or smaller, had gone through the roof. 

15 hours ago, burakol said:

Just wondering if there is such a thing? With a tight budget at hand and a very long wish list, I was hoping that there is some sort of a value guide we can refer to when tryng to estimate a proper ball park when acquiring Tamiya kits whether it is a BNIB kit or a used one. I am currently looking to get a Stadium Blitzer, an Avante black, and  Fox. I mostly do local ads and private sales and steer away from Ebay. It would be very helpful if we do have this info to use. 

I've bought a few used RC's in the past. But never a Tamiya. They always seem stupidly priced.

To the point that I've never seen anything worth buying. Of course if you want something that isn't made any longer you have little choice. But still.

What I don't get is, people sell current kits for the same or more money used than a new one is. Or at least there seem to be wallies out there paying this. I was looking at buying a Neo Scorcher. Which are pretty cheap new. But look on ebay and people have paid £20 more for a used one.... why ffs ??? :o

25 minutes ago, Losi XXT-CR said:

What I don't get is, people sell current kits for the same or more money used than a new one is. Or at least there seem to be wallies out there paying this. I was looking at buying a Neo Scorcher. Which are pretty cheap new. But look on ebay and people have paid £20 more for a used one.... why ffs ??? :o

I've noticed this as well. And the price hike for a used one is sometimes astronomical compared to a STILL AVAILABLE FOR SALE new kit of the same type. Most of the sellers who seem to be doing this are in Japan. Unfortunately there's no way to filter out a particular country of origin when searching ebay, otherwise I most definitely would.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

@Losi XXT-CR @DeadMeat666 this is just like the 1:1 cars situation in the UK now, used cars are more expensive than brand new cars. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10113779/Second-hand-cars-selling-cost-showroom-report-reveals.html

I think this is supply and demand where new ones have long lead times.

2 minutes ago, Losi XXT-CR said:

Yes, but strangely, like you say, the same also apply to current, in stock and in production kits.

17 hours ago, Losi XXT-CR said:

It’s the shortage of chips world wide and lock down creating limited stock, exacerbated by high demand. 

• Like 1