Braydun

Re Re Tamiya Frog Build Motor Suggestions

Hey guys, happy to have found this community as I love Tamiya RC and have nobody to discuss it with!

I used to race at my local tracks probably ten years ago and just got back into the hobby when I saw they were selling Tamiya buggy re releases. I have an original Frog that I restored back then but I had no idea re release was even a thing! I had to have some so I picked up a Frog and a Hotshot.

My questions are about the Frog, what motor do you suggest for the most speed and power without destroying the car? I have upgraded the front suspension as well as the transmission with an MIP Super Ball Bearing Differential and added larger buggy wheels.

I wanted to go brushless but I spoke with the guy who helped create this differential and he said even with the upgrade he wouldn't recommend it other than a very mild brushless motor or a 20 turn brushed motor.

I am currently running an old Revenge of the Monster Horsepower Stock motor I had from when I used to race and I believe it's a 27 turn. I found a Traxxas 20 turn brushed motor but I'm not sure what would be best.

Please let me know your brushless and brushed suggestions as well as gearing for a good all around basher. I will also be upgrading the Hotshot differentials to ball bearing in the future so I will be able to try a few of your suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20211123-172522_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211123-174202_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211123-231247_Chrome.jpg

I don't have a Frog but it is on my to buy list. My plan for it is either a Dirt Tuned (mild upgrade over silver can) or a B/TZ (a bit more powerful). The B/TZ, while "only" 23T, has RPM numbers matching some off brand 19-15T.

Hello @Braydun and welcome to TC!

I have a Super Hotshot (Supershot re-re) which I've installed an MIP ball-diff in the back of, but haven't gotten around to doing so for the front yet (laziness).

I'd recommend a Tamiya Superstock BZ for the Hotshot (or RZ or TZ; they're the same essentially. I have an RZ because it's red, but a BZ is optimal because it comes with a dust cover), and a Sport Tuned for the Frog.

• Like 1

I also have a re re hotshot and put a 3300kv brushless in it. It’s not got a ball diff but no issues so far with power etc. My driving on the other hand…..

My Frog has had a lot of motors over the years, but the 17T Trinity motor in there right now is my favorite so far.

I'd say any of those you've listed would do for a Frog.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I'd recommend a Tamiya Superstock BZ for the Hotshot (or RZ or TZ; they're the same essentially. I have an RZ because it's red, but a BZ is optimal because it comes with a dust cover), and a Sport Tuned for the Frog.

Isn't TZ and BZ exactly the same (performance wise) but the RZ slightly different? 

I had seen some comments that the BZ dust cover is essentially useless and can cause overheating, is that true? 

And if something fancier than a Sports Tuned is desired, a GT (or UGT but that's expensive) is another alternative. Oh, it has red on its label too! 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Isn't TZ and BZ exactly the same (performance wise) but the RZ slightly different? 

I had seen some comments that the BZ dust cover is essentially useless and can cause overheating, is that true? 

And if something fancier than a Sports Tuned is desired, a GT (or UGT but that's expensive) is another alternative. Oh, it has red on its label too! 

The RZ has laydown brushes, but the specs of all 3 are very close, to the point of being considered similar enough for me.

The dust cover is meant to be used with cars that have motors sticking out of the body, much like the Hotshot or the DT03, so there should be enough airflow to negate the effect of the cover while still providing some protection against dust and dirt.

Just now, DeadMeat666 said:

The RZ has laydown brushes, but the specs of all 3 are very close, to the point of being considered similar enough for me.

Ha! I was just researching the difference between laydown and "standard" brushes yesterday!