1 minute ago, Mad Zero said:

I hear you bro

Soft sticky Vanquish VXT type tyres (fairly scale looking & not too wide) on pressed steel beadlocks which require minimal trimming to the Sendero (pickup) body. That’s the brief. Doable? 

I'm sure it is. I hadn't heard of those tyres before but they are a 4.65" diameter with a fairly open tread so basically Class 2, the Fastrax Rockos or the Proline Krawlers would fit the bill.

Steel wheels, a few options out there - among my hoard of parts I tried and didn't get along with are some GMade steel wheels which look good (they do have a slightly narrower offset than others, only a few mm but it's worth knowing if stance is important to you.

You also have a lot of all-steel wheels from the likes of RC4WD and SSD. As well as the Chinese ripoffs you can get from the usual online sources for under £30 a set.

32 minutes ago, sosidge said:

I'm sure it is. I hadn't heard of those tyres before but they are a 4.65" diameter with a fairly open tread so basically Class 2, the Fastrax Rockos or the Proline Krawlers would fit the bill.

Steel wheels, a few options out there - among my hoard of parts I tried and didn't get along with are some GMade steel wheels which look good (they do have a slightly narrower offset than others, only a few mm but it's worth knowing if stance is important to you.

You also have a lot of all-steel wheels from the likes of RC4WD and SSD. As well as the Chinese ripoffs you can get from the usual online sources for under £30 a set.

Actually I was looking at the Gmade ones earlier, do you mean more or less offset? And did you not get on with them from a looks point of view or was it a technical issue? Yes stance is important to me if it doesn’t look right I won’t drive it. 

41 minutes ago, Mad Zero said:

Actually I was looking at the Gmade ones earlier, do you mean more or less offset? And did you not get on with them from a looks point of view or was it a technical issue? Yes stance is important to me if it doesn’t look right I won’t drive it. 

Less offset. I measured it up and it is only a matter of millimetres compared to wheels that give a wider stance, but it does make quite a difference visually.

Mostly I stopped using them because I changed the body of the truck and wanted a more modern look. The quality and weight was good.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Less offset. I measured it up and it is only a matter of millimetres compared to wheels that give a wider stance, but it does make quite a difference visually.

Mostly I stopped using them because I changed the body of the truck and wanted a more modern look. The quality and weight was good.

Yes I see. I do like the look (and price) of them, I’ll have to try find a Sendero with some in to judge it. 

pxl_20210624_155925028.jpg?w=1100

This gives you an idea of what the wheels are like although this is on my Gmade, I don't have any photos of this body with different wheels.

2 hours ago, sosidge said:

This gives you an idea of what the wheels are like although this is on my Gmade, I don't have any photos of this body with different wheels.

Not really the look I’m after. Bizarrely I didn’t consider that rim width when I was looking at the bare rims I was concentrating on the centres, doh. Further thinking required. 

EDIT: Sorry it was the small pic on my phone I was seeing a thick flat edge to the rim, I can see the shape properly now. Yes they’re ok. 

Well I wasn't really happy with them with that body, that's actually a late 80s/early 90s Ford Ranger, you wouldn't have seen them with that style of wheel, but I went with Gmade just because they were easier to get and came from a proper shop.

Probably best suited to a Land Rover/Power Wagon/utility build I'd say.

1 minute ago, sosidge said:

Well I wasn't really happy with them with that body, that's actually a late 80s/early 90s Ford Ranger, you wouldn't have seen them with that style of wheel, but I went with Gmade just because they were easier to get and came from a proper shop.

Probably best suited to a Land Rover/Power Wagon/utility build I'd say.

I was looking at the plain ones (SR03 I think) without the vents for mine but tyres will be key to completing the look. 

Don't forget you can always increase the offset using slightly wider hexes - although there will come a point (around 10mm) that you'll probably need to use the 'widener' version with barrel wheel nuts - which is what I did on my narrow RC4WD axles with those Gmade wheels:

i-MDDH48k-XL.jpg

I'd also recommend the Yeah Racing 'Claws' tyres (link here) they are slightly smaller diameter than the Vanquish VXT tyres, but softer and grip well - I have them on both my Capra and the TJ Jeep.

Jx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

Don't forget you can always increase the offset using slightly wider hexes - although there will come a point (around 10mm) that you'll probably need to use the 'widener' version with barrel wheel nuts - which is what I did on my narrow RC4WD axles with those Gmade wheels:

i-MDDH48k-XL.jpg

I'd also recommend the Yeah Racing 'Claws' tyres (link here) they are slightly smaller diameter than the Vanquish VXT tyres, but softer and grip well - I have them on both my Capra and the TJ Jeep.

Jx

Oooo I like those 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:56 PM, sosidge said:

Trooper's Hill?  I used to go there when I lived in Kinglewood :) this is from 2010:

img15729_19062010170253_7_1100_.jpg

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Trooper's Hill?  I used to go there when I lived in Kinglewood :) this is from 2010:

Yep! It's a great spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

img15729_19062010170253_7_1100_.jpg

No way was that roadworthy u tramp

17 minutes ago, Mad Zero said:

No way was that roadworthy u tramp

it's a post-apocalyptic desert survival truck, it's not supposed to be roadworthy, it's supposed to be desertworthy :D 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

it's a post-apocalyptic desert survival truck, it's not supposed to be roadworthy, it's supposed to be desertworthy :D 

Ok that’s fine, carry on. 

• Haha 1

I haven’t opened the Element box yet but looking at the manual online there doesn’t seem to be bumper mounting holes on the rear crossmember, have they done away with them on the BK2? They were on the BK1 right? If this is correct it’s a bit of an anti-thrill because I was wanting to fit a VS4-10 bumper set. 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mad Zero said:

I haven’t opened the Element box yet but looking at the manual online there doesn’t seem to be bumper mounting holes on the rear crossmember, have they done away with them on the BK2? They were on the BK1 right? If this is correct it’s a bit of an anti-thrill because I was wanting to fit a VS4-10 bumper set. 

You can get the plastic parts from a "normal" Enduro, they will have the holes in the rear.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sosidge said:

You can get the plastic parts from a "normal" Enduro, they will have the holes in the rear.

Thanks yep I sussed it out - there’s two versions, I’ve ordered the ‘hard’ set. 

• Like 1

Just found this thread again & thought I should update it. 

Basically I built the Element up during January, went to the nth degree with everything as you do when ur really into something & took enough photos for a build thread, drove it round the office for 10 mins then completely lost interest & stuck it in the cupboard. The cab didn’t even get painted.

47C4C7E3-DFC8-4AAA-9D60-D9C4766146C3.thumb.jpeg.0452999330f7285ec05af806ded85bc6.jpeg

Overall it’s an ok truck the upper shock mounts are gash & the trans isn’t very stealthy but yeah it fine & the  Vanquish bumpers worked out really well. What is really excellent tho is the HW motor & ESC, silky smooth & silent it’s a fantastic bit of kit and setup via a phone app is (for once) progress I approve of. 

FC06A773-851A-4595-868F-60BC0F3C489B.thumb.jpeg.4e4718aace99c739cf76acafa4b5f944.jpeg

I’ll probably pinch the electrics for my Wraith rebuild because frankly they’re wasted in this but as for the truck it’ll probably sit in the cupboard until it’s worthless then go on eBay ha ha. 

So anyway there you go, the end. . 

• Haha 1

Shame it didn't "click" for you, I've got plenty of use out of mine. I'm also running the AXE system, it's a great setup.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sosidge said:

Shame it didn't "click" for you, I've got plenty of use out of mine. I'm also running the AXE system, it's a great setup.

Yeh I’m really impressed with it put it in a quiet car you wouldn’t hear anything, plenty of oomph also.