Sign in to follow this  
CKU87

GF-01 - A few questions

Hi everyone,

just ordered a new GF-01 Landcruiser which I will be building over christmas. Realy excited and hope to get the kit in the next days.

I was planning to use the Landcruiser Body and also paint a Jimny Body for it down the road. I will also add some tuning. So my first purchase was:

- 58589 GF-01 Land Cruiser Kit

- 2 x 54394 Universal Shaft

- 2 x 53218 Hard Coint Cup Set

I am about to release the next purchase and was planning to get:

- Tamiya GT Tuned Motor

- 54734 FRP Battery Mount

- 54924 Full set ball bearings

- 53509 HFC coated 20T pinion (was thinking to go one higher since the 25T GT Tuned has some nice torque)

- 2 x 54586 Light Gearshaft

- 2 x 9805619 Wild Willy Rear Tires

I am not sure about:

- 53571 TRF Aluminium Damper Set. These are the silver ones of the blue anodized 42102 Dampers. I would prefer to have a silver look on the dampers and get some colour from the spring set 53440. However, it appears that these dampers are longer than the recommended set 54640 for the WR02 and GF01. Does anyone have the 53571 in use or know if thats a good fit.

- 54796 Aluminium Guard. I understand that i cannot mount the spring loaded front damper when i use the guard set. Only mounting it without the springs. Would you recommend going this way? It will be a basher so hard use for sure. 

Any other concerns or recommendations about the upgrade parts? Would really appreciate your thoughts!

I own a handful of GF01’s.  It’s a great chassis for trucking around tight space. 

But I only do oil dampers, wheels/tires (l like the bigger wheels and tires in this car), bearings, 1060, moderate performance servo with high torque servo saver. It doesn’t really need anything else.  Turnbuckles if you have a couple of them laying around.

GL with your build and have fun!  

• Like 1

I took the same journey as you @CKU87 as I started with a LandCruiser but also have a Jimny body ordered for the second chassis I purchased. I’ve also got a couple of other Land Cruiser shells to play with other paint designs.

0F7E8F9B-2322-49E2-9C51-E24F2CBF8D05.thumb.jpeg.dc993c5747f42dd51f8d72db23940d67.jpeg

FC6DB01D-FE01-42B7-988C-72BC5647E2AA.thumb.jpeg.e90755e5558516acc2c9c757187ff94b.jpeg

01DB2A1B-C238-409B-AE7F-97F091AEC80F.thumb.jpeg.d0523c09cbe1297868929ebdf0211e7a.jpeg

The LandCruiser has been pretty heavily hopped-up with Yeah Racing parts. Not to everyone’s taste of course but we’ve gone with a “more is more” approach on this one ;) 

I’ve got the YR suspension shock wheelie bar still to add and a chrome front bumper with spot lamps and winch kit. 

It’s only my second build and the first (a rere egress) was built straight from the box so it’s been fun to see what can be done with all the add-ons that are available.

The Jimny build will be more standard; just bearings, pinion and and a couple of other bits. For now… ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love my GF01

cR5QBsy.jpeg

I have gone for

20t stainless pinion

Full ball bearings

Stainless suspension shaft set

And that's it. Shocks are still stock friction style  but seem to work fine. 

Mine is a modified heavy dump, but either way I think the larger wheels look best. The Toyota with 115 mm wheels is the model they should have released IMHO.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I agree, not much is needed here probably so I will be skipping the skid guard and safe some money. 

Would you recommend tire foams for the spiked tires of the dump truck? I read that they are softer than the wild willy tires, so was wondering….

I don’t use foam in my spiked tires.  The car likes soft tires with the factory damper springs.   I keep them on stands while not driven to prevent any flat spots.  

Have fun!  

Thanks a lot. 

One more thing as I am also building up a WR02 for my girlfriend. On which WR02 chassis was the Jimny released back then? 

I get confused with all the different types WR02, WR02C, WR02G then the CB….

I do notice slight differences in the manuals, e.g. in some models there is a spacer mounted between the wheely bar and the chassis and in other manuals the front is entirely different, e.g. Wild Willy Front vs Honda City Turbo Front.

17 hours ago, CKU87 said:

Thanks a lot. 

One more thing as I am also building up a WR02 for my girlfriend. On which WR02 chassis was the Jimny released back then? 

I get confused with all the different types WR02, WR02C, WR02G then the CB….

I do notice slight differences in the manuals, e.g. in some models there is a spacer mounted between the wheely bar and the chassis and in other manuals the front is entirely different, e.g. Wild Willy Front vs Honda City Turbo Front.

You're very welcome!

I checked the instructions manual and the Jimny is a standard WR02.  

I have several other pictures of my GF01 and GF01TR in my profile page if interested.  My Beetles are all GF01/GF01TR  based, less Sand Scorcher.

IMG_Aug202021at114621AM.thumb.jpg.01cc86cd66e12c24fb1dc9249e30c81d.jpg

IMG_Aug202021at114633AM.jpg.e9b2a0f775cbafd65ef560fd1193e916.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

😅 Oh my god, these cars are awesome! Really impressive, nice and clean build cars! Thanks for the pictures and will check your page immediatelly! 

Did you paint your rims by yourself? At least I can see three coulours, black, like a gun metal grey and the original silver!?

Good to know regarding the chassis, thanks! Then I can go ahead and buy the Wild Willy set as this is a stock WR02.

Yes I have seen the WR02C is more the onroad Version for the Honda City Turbo only it seems. The WR02G has the smaller front tires and the Comcial Variants of the WR02 and the GF01 are a different anyway.

Anyone doing the WR02C front axle upgrade on the stock WR02? At least to me the B9 looks more robust than the screwed E6 and E2 part. But then the front tires of wild willy wont probably fit I assume as they go on the ball bearing instead of the axle pin like with the Honda?

• Thanks 1

@CKU87 Thanks, yes I did paint the wheels.  The Jimny's wheels are running Tamiya's TS38 Gunmetal, and the LandCruiser pickup wheels are TS29 Semi-Gloss Black.   

As for the front axle upgrade on the WR02, I just run the factory wheels and the soft spike tires on mine.  Yes, the front wheels are running bearings on the hub.  

• Like 1

Hey everyone, sorry to bring this up again but i need some more clarification regarding the GF01 and the GF01CB. According to the manuals, both chassis do use D Parts number 10008265. 

However, if I compare the pictures, the GF01CB does cleary have four left holes above where the bumper is mounted, while the normal GF01 has a flat surface. It just doesnt make sense to me, especially not since both have the exact same number….

can someone clarify?

460A20AC-D3EC-41F8-BCD6-A619F956ABE0.jpeg

FB83953B-5AB8-4910-A5E7-D59D04E226E7.jpeg

Yes, that's odd. Both sets use the same part number but are different. The standard GF01 chassis does not have the four fitting points that the Comical does. The comical doesn't seem to use them though...

Edit: Actually, it's even less clear as the CB Hornet at least does not have those four points and the part is numbered differently. 

11 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, that's odd. Both sets use the same part number but are different. The standard GF01 chassis does not have the four fitting points that the Comical does. The comical doesn't seem to use them though...

Edit: Actually, it's even less clear as the CB Hornet at least does not have those four points and the part is numbered differently. 

For the Hornet it makes totally sense since it is based on a WR02 Chassis, but for the Comical Avante and the Comical Hotshot (both GF01) it is really odd.

There must be a mistake on my end as I don’t think that tamiya produces two different D-parts with the same number…

anyone else has an idea? or am i completely blind and missing something obvious?

Edit: @GeeWings Yes, that would have been my next question…what are the holes for? Only thing I could think of was the G6 chassis, but then, the chassis of the G6 must have a completly different molding as it is much longer with 6 wheels…

Hi All,

Bought my first Tamyia RC and the very first RC I have ever had to build! It is a monster beetle trail.

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a blowout on the rear axle mount on the GF01 chassis before?

This was on the very first use not doing anything crazy - only thing I can think other than a faulty chassis, is maybe the screw was too tight?

Any ideas on what causes this and tips for avoiding in future?

axle_blowout.jpg

• Sad 1

On 12/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, CKU87 said:

For the Hornet it makes totally sense since it is based on a WR02 Chassis, but for the Comical Avante and the Comical Hotshot (both GF01) it is really odd.

There must be a mistake on my end as I don’t think that tamiya produces two different D-parts with the same number…

anyone else has an idea? or am i completely blind and missing something obvious?

It isn't unusual for Tamiya to alter parts mid-production-run and keep the same part number. At some point they added the extra fitting points to the moulding, and all GF01 chassis produced since then feature them, even if they are not used on that particular model.

They did the same with the TL-01 chassis, which originally featured a solid piece under the steering servo, but at some point had a cut-out added when they realised that small stones were getting stuck under there and jamming the steering. The older unholey and newer holey chassis mouldings bear the same part number.

14 hours ago, Bezko said:

Hi All,

Bought my first Tamyia RC and the very first RC I have ever had to build! It is a monster beetle trail.

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a blowout on the rear axle mount on the GF01 chassis before?

This was on the very first use not doing anything crazy - only thing I can think other than a faulty chassis, is maybe the screw was too tight?

Any ideas on what causes this and tips for avoiding in future?

axle_blowout.jpg

Ouch! I've only seen that happen in cases involving significant collisions. Must have been a duff chassis moulding, unless it was very cold when you were running it? Plastic can get brittle at low temperatures.

@Bezko Wow, sorry to see.   I've not had this happen on my GF01 and GF01TR's..  I think the combination of cold temps, hard hit, and bad luck may have caused this.   Luckily, one can buy just the chassis  parts tree (D).  They go about $30 + shipping..   #10008265

@Bezko weirdly enough someone posted something similar on Instagram a few weeks back but I can’t find it now. He also said no obvious reasons as yo why it would have happened. You would assume a manufacturing defect!?!

Cheers @GeeWings / @Willy iine

I will put it down to a bad batch then, I'm in Australia and the weather is plenty warm during summer.

Already ordered a replacement, but will reinforce the next one with a bit of thin sheet metal around the mounts - seems stocks are pretty low for the G1 gear case at the moment so was lucky to find one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bezko said:

Cheers @GeeWings / @Willy iine

I will put it down to a bad batch then, I'm in Australia and the weather is plenty warm during summer.

Already ordered a replacement, but will reinforce the next one with a bit of thin sheet metal around the mounts - seems stocks are pretty low for the G1 gear case at the moment so was lucky to find one.

Where in Australia are you? I’m in Melbourne.

Good luck with the next one!

On 12/30/2021 at 9:51 AM, GeeWings said:

Where in Australia are you? I’m in Melbourne.

Good luck with the next one!

Based in Sydney.

Still waiting for delivery of the part, sooo long!! 😭

10 hours ago, Bezko said:

Based in Sydney.

Still waiting for delivery of the part, sooo long!! 😭

Oh geez.. still waiting huh?  :(   Hope you get it soon!! 

It’s expensive, but I usually just pay the express parcel service (FedEx) and toss in other items on the same order to make the freight be a tad more friendly.. but only justifiable by how much I want it, I guess. 

On 1/16/2022 at 3:31 AM, Willy iine said:

Oh geez.. still waiting huh?  :(   Hope you get it soon!! 

It’s expensive, but I usually just pay the express parcel service (FedEx) and toss in other items on the same order to make the freight be a tad more friendly.. but only justifiable by how much I want it, I guess. 

Yeah will know for next time!

On 11/26/2021 at 1:52 AM, Nikko85 said:

I love my GF01

cR5QBsy.jpeg

I have gone for

20t stainless pinion

Full ball bearings

Stainless suspension shaft set

And that's it. Shocks are still stock friction style  but seem to work fine. 

Mine is a modified heavy dump, but either way I think the larger wheels look best. The Toyota with 115 mm wheels is the model they should have released IMHO.

That’s hot. Is that a stock midnight pumpkin body on there?

2 hours ago, Exit13 said:

That’s hot. Is that a stock midnight pumpkin body on there?

Thanks.

Close, it's a Pumpkin Quick Drive body, which were 1/14 (ish) scale versions of the Pumpkin for the QD range of Monster Trucks. The QD range bodies had a wheelbase of 175 mm, which fits the GF01 perfectly. That being said, I am in the process of flipping the rear arms to allow a longer wheelbase which will just help the proportions a little more, as most monster trucks tend to be stretched out a little.