GTodd

What would be the, “OMG Tamiya brought back the….” Rere?

I finally pulled the trigger on a rere EVO. I didn’t have any reservation and I really want one. I live in America and I’ve been waiting for an American  vendor to get one. Any way I digress. 

There have been a bunch of OMG can’t believe tamiya brought this car back: Bruiser, Avante, Egress, etc. 

Im not sure what would get me excited again. A Kingcab would but I don’t think it’ll happen now, been two years since the Super Astute came out.

What would do it for you? 959? OG Astute? Juggernaut…..

• Like 1

The 959 is the one that pretty much everyone wants so that's the number one.

After that I'd say Blazing Blazer and Ford Ranger. But the Ranger would need to have the mouded-in Ford badges and lattice front grille.

• Like 5

The OMG moments are gone for me. After the SRBs, Bruiser and Avante I've pretty much guessed anything is up for grabs in the old Tamiya catalog when it comes to rereleases. Its more of a will they or won't they situation now and it all comes down to whether or not its profitable. There's also little left I would buy from them as Tamiya has brought back so many greats for us. Personally, a King Cab/Hilux MR, an original Wild Willy , original Pajero, another Dynastorm, Super/King Blackfoot or a Juggernaut (and possibly an Avante 2001 or Dyna Blaster) would be the only things from them that would get my money.

I'd be more shocked if Kyosho brought back the original Car Crusher series and quite happy to see an Optima Mid of some sort. I'd be ecstatic to see Marui get back in the game. Traxxas would get my money if the TRX-1 or Blue Eagle returned.

Lately my interest have been towards more obscure buggies like old Hirobo stuff and the AYK/Race Prep Pro Radiant. Like to see some Nichimo too, but these are all just pipe dreams 

• Like 3

A new run of the "greatest hits," but with the original mechanical speed controllers. I'd buy another Grasshopper or Blackfoot or Frog or something, with the old 3-stepper. Now is the time, Tamiya - take advantage of the microchip shortage by selling models that don't need them!

Oh, and Striker/Sonic Fighter. Not kidding. I'd jump on re-releases of those.

And yeah, Marui is really missing the boat; a Big Bear re-re would sell like hotcakes.

• Like 2

Coool, a new and unique Re-Re topic. :lol:

Dyna Storm, .... what else.

Edit: Since the new Super Avante and Super Astute I am a bit afraid of a new Dyna Storm. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

The OMG moments are gone for me. After the SRBs, Bruiser and Avante I've pretty much guessed anything is up for grabs in the old Tamiya catalog when it comes to rereleases. Its more of a will they or won't they situation now and it all comes down to whether or not its profitable. There's also little left I would buy from them as Tamiya has brought back so many greats for us. Personally, a King Cab/Hilux MR, an original Wild Willy , original Pajero, another Dynastorm, Super/King Blackfoot or a Juggernaut (and possibly an Avante 2001 or Dyna Blaster) would be the only things from them that would get my money.

I'd be more shocked if Kyosho brought back the original Car Crusher series and quite happy to see an Optima Mid of some sort. I'd be ecstatic to see Marui get back in the game. Traxxas would get my money if the TRX-1 or Blue Eagle returned.

Lately my interest have been towards more obscure buggies like old Hirobo stuff and the AYK/Race Prep Pro Radiant. Like to see some Nichimo too, but these all all just pipe dreams 

Hirobo recently posted pics on their instagram of an Alien Mid leading some to say a re re is coming 

• Like 1

Not an OMG, but I'd be very tempted with a Hotshot II.

But probably not tempted enough to actually buy one as I still haven't built the Terra Scorcher I bought at the start of 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

Hirobo recently posted pics on their instagram of an Alien Mid leading some to say a re re is coming 

That would be cool as that's probably my favorite out of the bunch along with the Invader and ultra-rare Jealousy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wandy said:

The 959 is the one that pretty much everyone wants so that's the number one.

After that I'd say Blazing Blazer and Ford Ranger. But the Ranger would need to have the mouded-in Ford badges and lattice front grille.

Agree with Wandy, 959 and the original Hilux.....

• Like 2

Without a shadow of a doubt for me, The Astute and TA03R-S TRF. That would be a mind blown moment 😂👍

Of course a Monster Racer would be awesome too.

James

• Like 1

Hmm, interesting...  For me personally, it's a tricky one.  The King Cab was my first ever Tamiya, but it came to be as a very-well-used example, so I never had the joy of building and driving it fresh.  It would certainly be an interesting change for Tamiya too since there hasn't been a hint at this one yet.

An easy one would be the Mud Blaster.  That was my only childhood NIB, and although it was arguably the worst of the ORV trucks and a bit of a disappointment to me, I'd still like to relive that build experience again.

I think the King Blackfoot would be a better option as it's a better truck all round, but I already have two of them, so I doubt I'd buy.

Thinking about this has made me realise that I might not be a buggy guy anymore! I think I would spring for a King Blackfoot, but my first thought was TA04. I would love a new one with decent spares around so I could race it. 

• Like 1

On the "OMG Tamiya brought back... Finally! YES! GIVE ME AT LEAST SIX DOZEN" would be the Porsche 959 and/or Celica Group B.

On the "OMG Tamiya brought back... WHY?!?" would be the Striker and Sonic Fighter :P

On the "OMG Tamiya brought back... who saw that one coming?" could be... The Falcon? Bear Hawk? Any of the 1990s JGTC cars, even?

These are my guesses, but not my opinion - I, for one, would be quite thrilled with a Striker/Sonic Fighter re-release, and would be happy if the Falcon or 1990s JGTC cars made a return (even as a "Street Custom" - why, even a Nismo GT-R LM Road Car could happen if the Nismo Clarion GT-R LM moulds made a return, which would be no bad thing...).

I also think the 1996 Celica GT-Four ST205 WRC would be a nice model if it came back, although admittedly not quite as startling as if some of the previously-named reappeared. Its appearances in the Gran Turismo video games brought it to my attention, and its controversial legacy makes it a bit more compelling than the older ST185 WRC car.

As for the Striker/Sonic Fighter: of course, I am biased, and would love to have spare parts in good supply :D However, I think they would be surprising re-releases because they were so different from anything Tamiya has made before or since, even if the original Grasshopper used the monocoque concept (and probably better, since it used screws instead of body clips for the top shell). Re-releasing them would be a nice throwback to Tamiya's creativity in 2WD buggy design, and it is easy to imagine licence being given to strengthen the notorious weak point at the front of the chassis.

That being said, as only two models used most of the parts, there would be little incentive to re-release them. Which is why they would be surprising ;) Much easier, then, to produce the Neo Striker or Supersonic Fighter...

... I can't wait! :D But I digress.

• Like 2

Gotta be the Porsche 959 I reckon. Everything else worthy of a OMG by Tamiya has been done for me. I would still bite Kyosho's hand off if an Optima Mid appeared however! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Gotta be the Porsche 959 I reckon. 

I think the 959 is being saved for the 50th anniversary in 2026.

• Like 2