GTodd

What would be the, “OMG Tamiya brought back the….” Rere?

Juggernaut, or any leaf sprung monster truck.  Would do really well at this point in time I believe (in the US of course) with retro RC monster trucks being so popular.  I'd buy another one with modern plastics in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blista said:

King Cab for sure, but also:

Tamiya-Mini-Cooper-94-Monte-Carlo.jpg

Tamiya-Rover-Mini-Cooper-Racing-M-03.jpg

Are they still in a fight with BMW over the licensing?

I don't have any that would make me run out and buy. The one for me was the Boomerang which I got last run, and since then I have all the important ones.

If @ThunderDragonCy got his wish for a TA04, would that mean that TA01 - TA08 are all in production(or readily available) at the same time?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Are they still in a fight with BMW over the licensing?

It certainly seems that way.  Even all their BMW static models look to have been discontinued.

58 minutes ago, Blista said:

It certainly seems that way.  Even all their BMW static models look to have been discontinued.

See, I don't understand this whatsoever. If I'm a 1:1 manufacturer, I couldn't help but think scale RC and plastic models amount to free advertising for my products and may sell real cars so I'd be encouraging it rather than preventing it.

I've always fancied building another 'rally' TB-01 - they were pretty much bombproof and there's a great selection of bodies around now.

If they rere'd the chassis and a load of the hop-ups, I'd grab one

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zealot said:

See, I don't understand this whatsoever. If I'm a 1:1 manufacturer, I couldn't help but think scale RC and plastic models amount to free advertising for my products and may sell real cars so I'd be encouraging it rather than preventing it.

I've always thought the same. But copyright/trademark laws are weird, and companies get prickly about the strangest things.

Model cars did start out as exactly that: free advertising for the carmakers. Dealerships even gave away toy or model versions of the cars they sold, and those models were later boxed up and sold as kits. That's how Jo-Han and AMT models got their start. I remember even when I was young, models of new cars would hit the shelves in the fall at the same time as the new cars were in showrooms, and the kits would be prominently labeled "New for '82!" or something.

But now, with car companies all being publicly traded and answering to bankers and holding companies, it seems they want to squeeze every penny out of a copyrighted name or trademarked design that they can, and so the model companies, if they can't negotiate a deal for the rights, just avoid making models of those cars, for fear of tooling up and then getting the dreaded "cease and desist" notice.

Personally, I don't see how BMW has any rights to the original Mini design at all, having nothing to do with its creation, only having bought the trademark from Rover. It's a bunch of... well, words I can't use in this forum. And I agree: I'd love to see the Mini bodies come back. It's the original M-chassis body shell, and it's such a huge part of Tamiya's iconography at this point. It's a shame that a second-rate purveyor of ugly overpriced junk cars is holding the design hostage. But maybe someday...

• Like 5

On 11/28/2021 at 6:44 AM, markbt73 said:

Personally, I don't see how BMW has any rights to the original Mini design at all, having nothing to do with its creation, only having bought the trademark from Rover. It's a bunch of... well, words I can't use in this forum. And I agree: I'd love to see the Mini bodies come back. It's the original M-chassis body shell, and it's such a huge part of Tamiya's iconography at this point. It's a shame that a second-rate purveyor of ugly overpriced junk cars is holding the design hostage. But maybe someday...

What they've done to the Mini is basically art vandalism.  They've done the same thing to their own iconic cars so it's unsurprising.  Can't even get their kidney grilles the right shape anymore.  :wacko:

I'd love to see a full QD series again of the buggies and monster trucks, we a few new iconic cars added to both ranges.

With modern brushless motors the 280 spacing of the gearbox is a non issue, and the gearboxes themselves are great.

• Like 1

King Cab and a FAV.  I honestly have no idea why they haven't done either.  Don't they see how well these rere's are selling?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

King Cab and a FAV.  I honestly have no idea why they haven't done either.  Don't they see how well these rere's are selling?

FAV was re-released 10 years ago. There was even an alternate paint job "Shark Mouth" version. I think they're both discontinued again now.

• Like 1

since i got my omg wish this year with the top force evo (thank you tamiya) i guess my next woud be either  hill or mansell f1 

• Like 1

I have the ones I want, or variations. I didn't buy TFE as I have a TF, probably wouldn't buy an Astute as I have a Super Astute etc.

Maybe its time to start again with another Boomerang? Another run of the Boomerang would tempt me

• Like 1

It has to be the Porsche 959/Toyota celica grb and not the bodies on a tb0 my God not that chassis again it has to be the genuine chassis!..........and going off topic (kind of) a mid from kyosho anyone not fussed? Looking more unlikely as the time goes by!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, moffman said:

and going off topic (kind of) a mid from kyosho anyone not fussed? Looking more unlikely as the time goes by!

Its probably near the top of my want-list. I hope Kyosho can keep moving forward with the rerelease program. Their products are awesome and truly next-level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 4:58 AM, Zealot said:

I think it has more to do with maintaining control over your brand names.  There's some legal precedent in the US that if you don't maintain control your brand name can become public domain.  The Super Bowl is a great example. That is a brand and a trademarked name. Nobody is allowed to use that name in ads or on anything unless they get it licensed. So you hear radio/tv ads talking about "The big game" instead of "Super Bowl" because they aren't allowed to sell their stuff and use the Super Bowl name to do it unless they license it. If they didn't do this, the name "Super Bowl" would essentially become public domain and they'd lose their trademark.

As usual, it's lawyers to blame for why we can't have nice things. 

• Like 1

I would really like to see the Sand Rover for another re release.  I have only been doing this for a bit over a year and just recently decided I would like to have one.  I can see it now painted  in a very metallic bright color with some sort of chrome 5 spoke wheels.   Maybe a lime green or bright blue metallic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdh6fan said:

I would really like to see the Sand Rover for another re release.  I have only been doing this for a bit over a year and just recently decided I would like to have one.  I can see it now painted  in a very metallic bright color with some sort of chrome 5 spoke wheels.   Maybe a lime green or bright blue metallic.

Sand rover, lime green, chrome wheels

https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/57833-57833?position=269&total=1777

Tree spoks though, rather than 5

• Like 1