Torhaantje

getting rid of the green stuff on contacts of transmitter

Hi all, 

I am trying to bring one of my old transmitters back to life. When I opened the battery compartment I saw green corrosion on the contacts from leaking batteries.

Do you have any ideas how to best clean this?

Best regards, 

Rick

You used to be able to get fibre glass brushes for cleaning these. They were like a pen with them coming out the end. A good clean with alcohol afterwards to get rid of the residual acid or alkaline 

• Like 1

I just use a brass wire brush or sandpaper to knock off the big stuff, then wipe down the rest with a rag spritzed with CRC 2-26 (electrical contact cleaner). Works great on MSC contact points too.

Tried the white vinegar: Works really well!

After cleaning and drying applied some electrical spray for protection. 

Put in batteries,  switched on the transmitter and voila: power!

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

And nobody suggested licking it off because it's not that type of forum. 

But most of us kids who grew up in the 80's, know it's perfectly fine to put your tongue near anything electrical..

Back in the 80's, there wasn't health and safety and licking it off might even have been encouraged??.  😁😆😂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

And nobody suggested licking it off because it's not that type of forum. 

But most of us kids who grew up in the 80's, know it's perfectly fine to put your tongue near anything electrical..

Back in the 80's, there wasn't health and safety and licking it off might even have been encouraged??.  😁😆😂

I must admit I certainly licked a few 9v square batteries in my childhood days!:lol:Along with following the guidelines of the 'Anarchists Handbook' which did the rounds at school on a floppy disc!:lol::lol: Now I just think Whats that all about then?!?:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1