If anyone's interested the SMT10 Builder's Kit is on sale this week for only $139.99 (pretty much everywhere, manufacturer sale).  Picked up a couple more myself, for this price it's worth it in parts alone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When you say "everywhere" I bet its not in the UK! Never yet found anything of good quality like that on sale here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

When you say "everywhere" I bet its not in the UK! Never yet found anything of good quality like that on sale here.

Sorry, guess I meant in the US.  When I said everywhere I meant pretty much anyone that follows MAP pricing; Amazon, Ebay, online retailers, etc...In the US of course.  Sorry about that.  

Man, don't tell me stuff like that... I just spent a bunch of money. I don't need to spend more.

• Like 1

Which suggests it's been a sales disaster. Always a shame to see a kit version fail. However it's become so unusual to see kits - only racing, Tamiya and crawling seem able to support them. And I'd say that crawling is only just supporting them, even enthusiasts seem to start off with the RTR versions.

Still at well over £200 in the UK, unfortunately.

I'm hovering over another AMain order, even taking into account postage and taxes, it will be cheaper than ordering from a UK supplier. Eek!

I've still got a TXT-2 in the loft to build, not sure Mrs BC will suffer another monster truck up there!

8 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Man, don't tell me stuff like that... I just spent a bunch of money. I don't need to spend more.

You're telling me...Just bought an LMT for my dad a few weeks back, and another TXT-2 from a member around the same time.  I purposely did not even look at sales over the weekend but a racer friend texted me that they were on sale and couldn't pass it up.  I really need to take a break from buying for a while.  

4 hours ago, sosidge said:

Which suggests it's been a sales disaster. Always a shame to see a kit version fail. However it's become so unusual to see kits - only racing, Tamiya and crawling seem able to support them. And I'd say that crawling is only just supporting them, even enthusiasts seem to start off with the RTR versions.

I'm not sure that's the case.  I know the monster truck segment of the hobby is still smaller, but it's growing pretty fast and I see tons of SMT builds out there.  Possible they are just sitting on a lot of inventory also.  My company does a lot of online sales and we use BF/CM to clear excess inventory, whether good or bad sellers.  Doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't sell well, could have just overbought for a period.  

You could be right but my gut tells me they sell a ton of these things (at least in the US).  

I saw that, and almost bought one - even though I already have one.... I think sometimes the first step is to admit you have a problem! :)  

The Ryft kit was $140 off too, that was extremely tempting. Not that I want one per-se, I just thought it would be a fun build. 

**Must resist**

As far as kits, I think they initially sold well, however the initial shine has worn off, and pretty much anyone who wanted one has one at this point. The worst thing to happen to it was the LMT roller came out. Frankly, a much better platform for a MT build (SMT looks way better in my opinion though.) The AR60 axles were just never designed for big clod tires and BL power. 

I just saw this post now . 
Already have the RTR version stock except for an Onyx BL setup and fling kings instead of stock tires . It’s a fun platform and I really like the look of it.  $140 is a great deal for a jumping off point to build a second SMT 
I would be tempted but I just got an RC10 GT project I’m finishing up and I have enough TMaxx spares to build a roller ,( and then decide if I want to find a nitro engine for it or E convert it as I already have one running nitro Maxx. 
the amount I would spend on electronics , body etc , I could easily have my 2nd Maxx running on either nitro or Brushless power.

So, I have to pass right now , but will also kick myself later for not getting one when they were only $139 lol 

26 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I just saw this post now . 
Already have the RTR version stock except for an Onyx BL setup and fling kings instead of stock tires . It’s a fun platform and I really like the look of it.  $140 is a great deal for a jumping off point to build a second SMT 
I would be tempted but I just got an RC10 GT project I’m finishing up and I have enough TMaxx spares to build a roller ,( and then decide if I want to find a nitro engine for it or E convert it as I already have one running nitro Maxx. 
the amount I would spend on electronics , body etc , I could easily have my 2nd Maxx running on either nitro or Brushless power.

So, I have to pass right now , but will also kick myself later for not getting one when they were only $139 lol 

Yea, I needed another SMT like a hole in the head, but for the price it's a fantastic deal and I couldn't resist.  For spares alone it makes it worth it to me.  I problably won't get to building either of them for a while but can't pass up a good deal. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 10:43 AM, sosidge said:

I agree that the SMT was not great in sales, prob due to its fragility,i have one. I would still say its the best true to scale looking 1/10th MT.

I don't know where the sentiment of the SMT10 not selling well came from.  No way Axial would have upgrded it and brought it back in both RTR & kit form if it didn't sell well the first time around.  

As far as it being fragile, no big argument there with the AR60 axles, but if you use it like a scale monster then you won't break anything.  Bashing it like a Traxxas will definitlely destroy it.  The first SMT10 I built is a sport mod truck that I've been racing for 3+ years now and the only thing that is not original on the truck is the rear gear set.  No other upgrades and has been dead reliable.  Now some of my SMT10s with brushless power have broken gear sets and a few driveshafts, but even then the original axle housings, suspension links, etc are all doing fine.  I think it's all in how you use it.  With that said, a new version with better axles would be very much welcome...

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

As far as it being fragile, no big argument there with the AR60 axles, but if you use it like a scale monster then you won't break anything.  Bashing it like a Traxxas will definitlely destroy it.  The first SMT10 I built is a sport mod truck that I've been racing for 3+ years now and the only thing that is not original on the truck is the rear gear set.  No other upgrades and has been dead reliable.  Now some of my SMT10s with brushless power have broken gear sets and a few driveshafts, but even then the original axle housings, suspension links, etc are all doing fine.  I think it's all in how you use it.  With that said, a new version with better axles would be very much welcome...

So it would most likely be alright to stick a brushed motor in one and hand it to, say, a 10 year old?  No huge jumps or anything, just some fun bashing in the backyard along with some other rc's.

6 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

So it would most likely be alright to stick a brushed motor in one and hand it to, say, a 10 year old?  No huge jumps or anything, just some fun bashing in the backyard along with some other rc's.

Would be perfect for that.  I actually have one SMT10 with the stock 12T 550 brushed motor that is my "loaner" truck.  I let my nephews and anyone else that comes over drive it and has yet to have any issues.  That truck has 2.2 tires on it.  When you start to add Clod sized tires it puts a lot more stress on the drivetrain, but even then as long as you're not putting crazy brushless power through it or taking it off 2' high jumps it will be fine.  It's a great truck for kids, they all love it.  

As per the Postman thread, my SMT10 builders kit has arrived courtesy of the heads up here. At typically £229 in the UK and no sign of any discount, this was a bargain at £146 including postage.

6A88AD69-4F1A-44A1-9C13-is 065B3C4AC48A.

Thank you @87lc2!

• Like 3

Glad I could help, definitely a bargain.  Be sure to post when you get it together.  

• Like 1

I ended up grabbing one as well.  I have other rigs to fix and finish first before this goes together.  Thanks again for the heads up.

• Like 1