Wooders28

Full scale car projects?

On 4/21/2022 at 11:50 PM, Toolmaker72 said:

Latest upholstery completed for a 1959 TR3A 

before and after pictures 

New door-cards and quarter trim panels made from scratch. Dash was tricky getting around those curves in one piece.  All in vinyl as per the originals.  White piping deleted in favour of special order all red.  Seat cushions are old fashioned using springs.  They had to be repaired before the new covers went on and I used the original rubberised horse hair padding to keep things original where possible.  Really pleased with this lot.

68BCC4E9-032A-479A-8A79-26954A795BF8.jpeg

D2B0A7E1-EECF-4B70-AF4B-3532393452E2.jpeg

D12B568E-2214-4D87-A117-264B586BC067.jpeg

F563B805-D889-460B-88E4-2A53F7288886.jpeg

85A2773B-20BE-44B6-ACF1-84A9AD27DEA1.jpeg

C2D72E37-3440-4955-9D18-5B45825AD2C7.jpeg

92862D2D-3087-47E9-AD6A-E69310FE9A6C.jpeg

FC214750-E52D-45F1-9B5A-ED97F339281F.jpeg

90561DD2-8AE9-41F1-AAEF-256ADCABD1EE.jpeg

6D47DA75-70C0-44BE-9B6F-2E6C4A88BF76.jpeg

7FC2D3AE-EBDE-4DF8-BB6A-25957AEE385C.jpeg

F6AAF889-7989-4A91-B359-5A23B5D17FE6.jpeg

1D92A94D-19CF-40B8-A0EF-C4FD73061B7B.jpeg

3E4C4186-26F6-49A3-826F-EFA433F65CBC.jpeg

B92FD3F5-E0E5-4A3C-818D-D305AB575698.jpeg

Stunning, 

Absolutely  stunning!! 

No pictures or project of my own but I have a car project related post to share. 
A few months ago, preparing for a cross country move I sold my NA Miata ( Mx-5 for non Yankees ) to a friend. I let it go for less than fair market value because 

1 a friend

2 I knew it was someone who would love it and Do it justice

while cleaning my packed up house last night he stopped by and showed off his new paint job and told me the rest of his plans. 
It was good to see the ride one more time before I left 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

No pictures or project of my own but I have a car project related post to share. 
A few months ago, preparing for a cross country move I sold my NA Miata ( Mx-5 for non Yankees ) to a friend. I let it go for less than fair market value because 

1 a friend

2 I knew it was someone who would love it and Do it justice

while cleaning my packed up house last night he stopped by and showed off his new paint job and told me the rest of his plans. 
It was good to see the ride one more time before I left 

I sold a beloved Honda Prelude back in the day to a friend after 5 years of ownership (bought new) with no more than 30k miles.  It was in like-new condition when I sold her besides all the mods on the car (dampness programmable coil overs, braces, NOS, full exhaust system, nice HU and audio system, etc etc) and he kept it for a few years, sold it to his sister, then went through maybe 3 or 4 owners after.   I saw her again after 6-7 years after selling her?   She had over 250k miles and pretty beat up, but still, it was truly nice to see her again.   :D   

I bought and sold over 35 new cars in my life time so I would assume I would see them more often, but with car auctions and dealer trades, chances are very slim one would ever see their car again after selling to a business.   Glad you sold to a friend.. you can probably visit your car again someday.

• Like 2

Last car I sold to a friend, was a 1991 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI. I'd got it spotless to sell (got sick of getting pulled over by the police, at least twice a week, although thinking back, probably deserved it...🙄) had the wheels refurbished, new rubber all round etc.

He'd been out in it a few times with me, and liked how it went and handled. 

In less than a week, he'd rolled it across a field, snapped 2 wheels ,Janspeed exhaust was flat, even the wiper blades weren't salvageable. Even though it wasn't mine, I was gutted.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Wooders28 Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.  :(  

I can't even imagine the pain..  

He survived, infact he said he'd climbed out and walked to get help himself, which is always the best you can hope for, given the car was fairly unrecognisable, so I was happy on that note.

Since then, I've got a seat belt cutter in my car, as he said the hardest part was getting the seat belt off, in an upside down car ,in a muddy field.

He could only afford third party insurance , so it sat in his parents garage for months, whilst they tried to part it out to recuperate some money. Think they sold 3 wheels (was a full size alloy spare) and bits of interior that was about it, before it went for scrap.

• Like 1

On that note...

I've had some parts arrive for the TransAm!

I've welded plates under the back shelf, some strengthening braces, and bought a pair of rear 3 point seat belts, to replace the lap belts.

The blue looked darker in the pics online, so not sure yet, wondering if black might be the way to go?

2022-04-14_09-04-32

I decided at the start of the build, I wasn't having air con.

I live in Scotland, and it's a T-Top car, so if the sun's out, the roofs off. This ,I presumed, would make life easier on the install......😳🤦‍♂️

Turns out, (although some of you are probably shaking your heads anyway...), some of the heating controls run through the compressor, so not just a case of removing the air con...

With the fan speed control being one of the things, I've needed to find a way to control the speed. I could go for the old mini way, and just flat out or nothing on a switch, but decided on cutting into the fibre glass ,aircon delete ducting, and fit a speed resistor (basically a tamiya MSC! So needs to be in air flow, to get rid of the heat) off a modern Vauxhall Corsa. After wiring it up to test, turned out my 40yr old fans bearings where shot (OK when flat out, so sounded ok when direct onto a battery, but in slow speeds, it squealed). So I've bought a new fan (£20 for the fan plus £40 shipping/import duty and tax....🤬).

Needs a tidy up, but works (although ,I'm going to have to relabel the heater controls, as I've an extra speed, which would be nice to keep..) 

2022-04-14_09-04-50

Tried to fit the front sway bar yesterday, but will write about that later.....😬🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

Just watched the Bad Obsession guys, and their seats getting retrimmed, @Toolmaker72 sprung (pardon the pun...) to mind 😀

Yep, that’s me.  Although I would have steamed the seat foam before fitting the new cover to plump it up as if it was new.  I did a similar hand stick with these headrests.  Due to the shape I couldn’t hide a joining seam underneath so had to make the join a bit fancy as it’s show on the back of the headrest.  Basically it’s two lines of adjacent top stick that is hand stitched together once fitted around the headrest.  Lots of measuring as the lines of top stitch are done to the panels before stitching to the rest of the cover.    

85AF862F-C126-4AFE-8762-51557F24D482.jpeg

0AE9B32A-FAB2-4729-8F75-4BB83DFC5FEC.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Yep, that’s me.  Although I would have steamed the seat foam before fitting the new cover to plump it up as if it was new.  I did a similar hand stick with these headrests.  Due to the shape I couldn’t hide a joining seam underneath so had to make the join a bit fancy as it’s show on the back of the headrest.  Basically it’s two lines of adjacent top stick that is hand stitched together once fitted around the headrest.  Lots of measuring as the lines of top stitch are done to the panels before stitching to the rest of the cover.    

85AF862F-C126-4AFE-8762-51557F24D482.jpeg

0AE9B32A-FAB2-4729-8F75-4BB83DFC5FEC.jpeg

Stunning!! 😍

Never realised how difficult it was, to buy a car horn...

I wanted something that sounded,  commanding ( if you know what I mean), but not air horn shouty, so looking at reviews and listening on YouTube,  I went for the , hella supertone.

2022-04-14_09-05-37

Fitted and tested and wasn't overly impressed, which was kind of confirmed, when I received a message off my wife...

2022-05-10_08-08-57

So, I've a pair of ,Piaa snail horns to test now....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

After getting my truck back from the panel & paint shop after 7 months, the battery was dead, it wouldn't start because the oil pressure sensor (same circuit as fuel pump) was faulty, now the rear main oil seal has decided to leak profusely. Gave it a wash and put it back in the garage to fix another day 🙄

TNJzOOo.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:15 PM, Wooders28 said:

Never realised how difficult it was, to buy a car horn...

I wanted something that sounded,  commanding ( if you know what I mean), but not air horn shouty, so looking at reviews and listening on YouTube,  I went for the , hella supertone.

2022-04-14_09-05-37

Fitted and tested and wasn't overly impressed, which was kind of confirmed, when I received a message off my wife...

2022-05-10_08-08-57

So, I've a pair of ,Piaa snail horns to test now....

train horn train horn TRAIN HORN:D you wont get a text like that again plus when fitted ask the wife to come and listen to how it sounds:lol: then just as she gets there let rip and she how far she jumps

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, berman said:

After getting my truck back from the panel & paint shop after 7 months, the battery was dead, it wouldn't start because the oil pressure sensor (same circuit as fuel pump) was faulty, now the rear main oil seal has decided to leak profusely. Gave it a wash and put it back in the garage to fix another day 🙄

TNJzOOo.jpeg

If you're pulling the lump anyway, may aswell fit a stroker crank, and a pair of turbos ...🙄😃

8 hours ago, topforcein said:

train horn train horn TRAIN HORN:D you wont get a text like that again plus when fitted ask the wife to come and listen to how it sounds:lol: then just as she gets there let rip and she how far she jumps

Might fall under the, not wanting air horn shouty, category...🙄😜

A pair of PIAA snail horns have turned up, and alot better suited to the brief 😀

I run Hella SuperTones on my WRX STI and WRX Limited.  It's like a Subie thing.  :D 

They are very loud.

12 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

If you're pulling the lump anyway, may aswell fit a stroker crank, and a pair of turbos ...🙄😃

Wouldn't waste my time on a tbi to be honest. Would love to fit an LM7 (at least), but we don't see them really in NZ..  could put an LS1/LS2 out of a Holden in though. 

And it's a one piece, so the box has to come off... 🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, berman said:

Would love to fit an LM7 (at least), but we don't see them really in NZ..  could put an LS1/LS2 out of a Holden in though. 

Don't really see any up for sale in Scotland, so I'd need to get one imported as and when.

That's how I've ended up with a TPI, happened to stumble on a rusted out 3rd gen, and as the saying goes, you can only pee with the appendage you've got...🙄😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Don't really see any up for sale in Scotland, so I'd need to get one imported as and when.

That's how I've ended up with a TPI, happened to stumble on a rusted out 3rd gen, and as the saying goes, you can only pee with the appendage you've got...🙄😂

I did see an LM7/4L60E years ago, but I didn't have the money at the time. The heads on the L05 are really restrictive, and nobody really tunes (chips) the tbi injection any more. The old lump can stay in there until a LS falls into my lap (or I win lotto and buy a 632 crate motor 🤣).

Yes I can only pee with the appendage I've got, but I don't wanna move down to a 4.3 V6 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, berman said:

I did see an LM7/4L60E

I'm looking for the 4l80 atm, the 60 , although lighter, alot lighter, is an updated 700r4 (the 30 spline, not the real weak 27, I seemed to have been landed with...💣💥),  in stock form they're rated to 360 lbft, whilst the 80e is 440. Yeah, I'll need to crack open the gas bottles, hit the trans tunnel with heat and a heavy stick to get it nailed in, but , iys on the list....🙄

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 12:26 AM, Wooders28 said:

I'm looking for the 4l80 atm, the 60 , although lighter, alot lighter, is an updated 700r4 (the 30 spline, not the real weak 27, I seemed to have been landed with...💣💥),  in stock form they're rated to 360 lbft, whilst the 80e is 440. Yeah, I'll need to crack open the gas bottles, hit the trans tunnel with heat and a heavy stick to get it nailed in, but , iys on the list....🙄

You're right, I'd much prefer the 4L80e, but that would be a separate purchase. Much stronger box factory. 

• Like 1

Decided to work on my Supra today.. :D 

IMG_2022-6-4-162533.jpg.cd2dd587d6216669557f9b63c39af199.jpg

Adding a low frequency horn to accommodate the factory high frequency horn. 

Made a simple harness.. waiting on Amazon to deliver my horn.. :lol:

IMG_2022-6-4-165918.jpg.2f189270b8cccd2191d8070e893b33f3.jpg

My horn came in last night so installed just now.. going to put her back together.  :D 

IMG_2022-6-5-070808.jpg.b77df8588c1ed0d10b49df5b830d63bb.jpg

All buttoned back together.  :D  

IMG_2022-6-5-084800.jpg.cf97092d295c7161ffc4697e0956e845.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:30 PM, Willy iine said:

My horn came in last night so installed just now.. going to put her back together

Did you receive a message of the Wife after testing? 🙉

• Haha 1