Wooders28

Full scale car projects?

6 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Picked this beauty up 3-4 weeks ago.  It's a 98 XJR with the Supercharged 4.0L V8.   I've had a few of these cars an absolutely adore them.  I'm typically a muscle car guy, but I bought one of these on a whim a few years back and have been hooked ever since.  Between the looks, power, and comfort they have everything I need in a weekend cruiser.  Only has 60k miles and has been very well taken care of.  It might be the first example I've seen without a single split in the wood trim :)  

I drove it about 100 miles the first week I had it, but have since been tearing into it.  Pulled the cam covers/timing cover and replaced all of the tensioners/guides/chains since the original plastic units can fail without warning and destroy the engine.  Luckily all of the originals were in good shape with no broken/missing pieces but still nice that its done for peace of mind.  Also helps when selling one of these since thats the first thing a potential buyer will ask about. 

Working on some other small age-related issues while the cars down as well.  The auto dimming rear view mirror was leaking so sent that out for repair.  Removed the rear deck speaker and repaired the foam surround since it was rattling around, and going to put in a new headliner as well.  All things that just fail with age, no way around it.   Have new tires ready to go also, but might wait a bit to see if I can find some painted wheels, not really a fan of the chrome.  Haven't had much luck but we'll see.  

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

I’ve looked on and off for one of these for a while, a 98 in the U.K. is usually in rough condition.  Never seen an xj with chrome wheels in the U.K. either.  Funny how manufacturers deem certain style aspects are essential for certain countries.    I like the black wood and black leather you have also.  Never a fan of the beige and caramel interiors.   Shame everything is so expensive to ship everywhere now.  
The Jag I have is an older 77 xjc.  Just can’t find a good chrome front grill anywhere 

On 7/7/2022 at 6:28 AM, Wooders28 said:

Love it!! 

How awesome would an old 850.T5 be, infront of that.😁

Try and get a 850 T5 now, they are rare and expensive. 

I did consider a matching Volvo to pull it but I think he chopped the front off because that part was never any good anyway. Lol. 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, FoxShot said:

That is full on Dizzy (Rascal - Bonkers) love it!!!

Needs some bullet holes and a bit more "Mad Max"!!!

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:51 AM, Toolmaker72 said:

I’ve looked on and off for one of these for a while, a 98 in the U.K. is usually in rough condition.  Never seen an xj with chrome wheels in the U.K. either.  Funny how manufacturers deem certain style aspects are essential for certain countries.    I like the black wood and black leather you have also.  Never a fan of the beige and caramel interiors.   Shame everything is so expensive to ship everywhere now.  
The Jag I have is an older 77 xjc.  Just can’t find a good chrome front grill anywhere 

Yea, the chrome wheels are definitely an American market thing...I'm really not a fan of them.  Apparently they're pretty uncommon but I'd much prefer the silver painted versions.  Have been looking for a set with no luck so far.  I actually much prefer the UK/Euro-spec XJRs and XJ Sports with the black window trim.  All XJs in the Stated received stainledd trim with the exception of the XJR100 and there's not many of those around. 

These XJRs are rather cheap for what you get over here in the States.  I've had a few and this is probably the nicest, in really good condition.  I do love the dark leather and dark wood.  My previous XJRs all had the Oatmeal interior with bright wood, I much prefer the black.  

I absolutely love the XJC, probably my favorite Jag ever (besides the XJ13 and one-off stuff like that).  Do you have any pictures to post of the XJC?  

On 7/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, 87lc2 said:

Yea, the chrome wheels are definitely an American market thing...I'm really not a fan of them.  Apparently they're pretty uncommon but I'd much prefer the silver painted versions.  Have been looking for a set with no luck so far.  I actually much prefer the UK/Euro-spec XJRs and XJ Sports with the black window trim.  All XJs in the Stated received stainledd trim with the exception of the XJR100 and there's not many of those around. 

These XJRs are rather cheap for what you get over here in the States.  I've had a few and this is probably the nicest, in really good condition.  I do love the dark leather and dark wood.  My previous XJRs all had the Oatmeal interior with bright wood, I much prefer the black.  

I absolutely love the XJC, probably my favorite Jag ever (besides the XJ13 and one-off stuff like that).  Do you have any pictures to post of the XJC?  

The xjc is going through a rather drawn out restoration, partly due to 2 years of covid, partly due to myself being slow with the mechanical side of things.

The body currently is waiting for the engine and gearbox to be fitted so the body can be prepped for its new paint.  The body is now fully restored, underside included which has had its final paint finish.  Engine bay is in colour, but the fella doing the work won’t go any further in case mechanicals damage the final paint during fitting and getting it running.

Im just waiting on a gasket to finish assembly of the gearbox.  
Below is a picture before restoration a few years ago

6E14C12F-4B67-496C-8895-EE3DD310BF99.jpeg

• Like 2

Pictures in no particular order.  When I rebuilt the axles, a lot of parts were galvanised so any chipped paint shouldn’t create any corrosion again.   I’ve fabricated mounts for a rear anti-roll bar to attach to the rear axle.  The rear bar is from a sports pack xjs, the front bar is a larger diameter version from a db7 Aston. I’ve made new spring seats for the rear axle springs to get the back sitting a little lower. Short front springs fitted from a xjs track car.  All new bearings and seals for both axles.  Rear axle is an outboard disc version so nice and easy to maintain the rear brakes.  The body will be stock, new chrome on the original bumpers, I’ve been buying new old stock chrome exterior fittings where possible.  
Interior will be new, I’ll stitch that myself, keeping the original Jaguar style but with similar styled door cards. It’s hard work doing things myself but it saves so much money and I think I put more attention to details.  
The engine for instance using dome nuts instead of open nuts with rusty studs on show.   The studs need to be carefully measured so the dome nuts don’t bottom out on the stud before clamping the parts together.  All takes time but hopefully a cracking car when finished 😊 

EDEBE3E0-6ED3-4C08-800D-ABEAF23154C6.jpeg

4A341651-AA76-4DC4-95DE-F71CE3238E8B.jpeg

FB0A52F5-3D2A-4A48-A16A-0E481B474597.jpeg

F3B6775E-3C20-407D-8A89-40766C889F7C.jpeg

79D2B4A4-1A6C-41CB-9B57-A2C22332E832.jpeg

CAEBEC64-5FAE-4227-827A-56EB9D652FB3.jpeg

B0D77502-EACA-4007-92EC-9A7C0E324E74.jpeg

AE97FC85-FD54-4118-8BFD-409F0B67426D.jpeg

4B67810E-86D2-4B67-9BCE-1FCE58C08452.jpeg

98B038F4-FC7C-490E-952F-EC5519B0C385.jpeg

• Like 4

Fantastic work @Toolmaker72, I just love that car!  If I ever find one in the States I'm buying it, no question about it.  

I really like those chrome wheels with black inserts in the second set of pictures, are they the originals?  They look exactly like the original wheels on my 87 Buick GN.  

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Fantastic work @Toolmaker72, I just love that car!  If I ever find one in the States I'm buying it, no question about it.  

I really like those chrome wheels with black inserts in the second set of pictures, are they the originals?  They look exactly like the original wheels on my 87 Buick GN.  

So you do like chrome wheels! 😊

those are the prep/paint wheels.  Just fitted to roll the car around.  Haven’t actually got a set for it currently.  The original wheels were the same style as the prep wheels but just a painted silver as my car is the lower spec 4.2.  The 5.3 had the chrome versions fitted.  Both versions had an alloy wheel as an option.  Exactly the same size as the pressed steel versions.
Image wheels do a modern size version of the original alloy wheel style.  Very expensive at £500 plus each not inc vat at 20% for 18” versions. Slightly cheaper for a 17” wheel.  I’m being patient to see how the car sits on the modern 18’s before ordering new wheels.  I’m leaning towards a 17” wheel with the slightly bigger tyre profile as I’ve replaced all the rubber suspension bushes with polymer type.  I don’t really want to ever dismantle the suspension again.  So maybe to compensate the harder ride with a bigger tyre profile 🤔.  I’ll still fit a staggered wheel set, 17x8j on the front and 17x9j on the rear.  Or have a custom set of wheels made in the original pressed steel style in the same staggered size but fitted with original chrome hub caps covering the wheel nuts.  That option i would like but scared of the cost to be honest. 😳

Wheels can make a car look 👍 or quite the opposite 😳 if the style and size is wrong.  

I’ll post more pictures once things are put back together.  

• Like 1

Wheels certainly do make a car.  I think 17s would be perfect on the XJC.  18s maybe a bit too big, but depends on the style I guess.  Look forward to seeing more progress on the car. 

I do generally like factory chrome wheels, but on my XJR the chrome wheels with stainless trim is just a bit much.  Going to keep the on the car for now since I haven't been able to find any other wheels yet, but I'll keep an eye out.  Would love to find a set of the BBS wheels that I had on my previous XJR R1.  

Mine is all fixed and back on the road.  Love driving this car, such road presence these x308s have.  Power's not too bad either with 370 supercharged horsies under the hood.  Funny about the power though - It doesn't actually feel that fast until you look down at the speedo, it can really get going in a hurry it just doesn't feel like it. 

Dwarfed by @Toolmaker72's massive project as mine is equivalent to changing toilet paper rolls :lol:, but I got these CF pads to swap on my GR Supra down the road.  Might do it it next weekend.. not sure, maybe next season as I only got like 3 more drives before hibernation for this season.  

IMG_2022-8-3-144002.jpg.a2a584a487a7fb90965541e23d82e0fd.jpg

13 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Dwarfed by @Toolmaker72's massive project as mine is equivalent to changing toilet paper rolls :lol:, but I got these CF pads to swap on my GR Supra down the road.  Might do it it next weekend.. not sure, maybe next season as I only got like 3 more drives before hibernation for this season.  

IMG_2022-8-3-144002.jpg.a2a584a487a7fb90965541e23d82e0fd.jpg

I've found Powerstop pads to be less than impressive.  Sub-par stopping power/initial bite and more dust than you've ever seen in your life for carbon ceramics.  Hope they work out well for you, but never again for me.  Have had great luck with ECB/Akebono.  Power stop is made at the bargain basement China factories with little to no quality control.  

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

I've found Powerstop pads to be less than impressive.  Sub-par stopping power/initial bite and more dust than you've ever seen in your life for carbon ceramics.  Hope they work out well for you, but never again for me.  Have had great luck with ECB/Akebono.  Power stop is made at the bargain basement China factories with little to no quality control.  

I doubt that Supra guys would recommended these if they had experienced what you described.  I am going to try them out anyways.  For this car, dust reduction by 95% they say, and braking very comparable to stock.  I’ve been modding cars for a while and are familiar with the brands you noted, but those have their own issues as well.

Like I said, changing pads is like swapping toilet paper.  Will mark the stock pads to slide them back if needed.. unless they rattle like some Brembo pads, probably okay for my use.  :D  I only drive the car 1000 miles or so a year as she is my garage queen.  Got tired of cleaning the wheels after 2 drives.. perhaps will do a little more driving if I don’t have to clean the pads as often… or not.  :lol:

18 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I doubt that Supra guys would recommended these if they had experienced what you described.  I am going to try them out anyways.  For this car, dust reduction by 95% they say, and braking very comparable to stock.  I’ve been modding cars for a while and are familiar with the brands you noted, but those have their own issues as well.

Like I said, changing pads is like swapping toilet paper.  Will mark the stock pads to slide them back if needed.. unless they rattle like some Brembo pads, probably okay for my use.  :D  I only drive the car 1000 miles or so a year as she is my garage queen.  Got tired of cleaning the wheels after 2 drives.. perhaps will do a little more driving if I don’t have to clean the pads as often… or not.  :lol:

Would be interested in what you think of the dust.  Mine were horrendous as far as dust, worse than the OEM semi-metallic pads.  Stopping power was the big deal for me, they were nowhere close to OEM let alone performance.  Almost no pedal feel and very poor initial bite.  With the amount you drive the car I'm sure they'll be fine.  I had them on a daily driver and I just could not believe the dust, it was rather odd actually. 

Possible I got a bad set and not saying they didn't work they just simply didn't live up to their billing.  

22 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Would be interested in what you think of the dust.  Mine were horrendous as far as dust, worse than the OEM semi-metallic pads.  Stopping power was the big deal for me, they were nowhere close to OEM let alone performance.  Almost no pedal feel and very poor initial bite.  With the amount you drive the car I'm sure they'll be fine.  I had them on a daily driver and I just could not believe the dust, it was rather odd actually. 

Possible I got a bad set and not saying they didn't work they just simply didn't live up to their billing.  

I have no idea as I have never tried this brand before.. but you know, this is how I felt (mystery) when I first tried HobbyWing ESC's long time ago and even Amazon junk servo's which turned out to be great recently, so who knows.   It could be great as others have said, or crap like you said.  I'm okay to try it and judge for myself.  

I'm also okay to try other brands.. my original inquiry to the Supra community was 'someone please recommend me to low dust JDM pads.'.   I didn't ask specifically about low price or anything like that.. these were cheap on sale and with promo at $180 for the set and readily available to ship locally .. and folks recommended them for street, so why not?  

Will keep you posted.. not in a big rush to swap so could be this month or next season.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I have no idea as I have never tried this brand before.. but you know, this is how I felt (mystery) when I first tried HobbyWing ESC's long time ago and even Amazon junk servo's which turned out to be great recently, so who knows.   It could be great as others have said, or crap like you said.  I'm okay to try it and judge for myself.  

I'm also okay to try other brands.. my original inquiry to the Supra community was 'someone please recommend me to low dust JDM pads.'.   I didn't ask specifically about low price or anything like that.. these were cheap on sale and with promo at $180 for the set and readily available to ship locally .. and folks recommended them for street, so why not?  

Will keep you posted.. not in a big rush to swap so could be this month or next season.  

Absolutely, we all learn by trying new things.  I love Amazon servos by the way.  I love the look on peoples faces at the monster truck races when they see I'm running the $20 DS3218 Pros in all of my trucks.  They all have $100+ Reefs/Savox servos which just seems unecessary to me.  They also break theirs a lot more than I do mine, something about driving properly I think :)  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Absolutely, we all learn by trying new things.  I love Amazon servos by the way.  I love the look on peoples faces at the monster truck races when they see I'm running the $20 DS3218 Pros in all of my trucks.  They all have $100+ Reefs/Savox servos which just seems unecessary to me.  They also break theirs a lot more than I do mine, something about driving properly I think :)  

Yeah, I hate that some folks generalize that Chinese items are automatically crap.  Mine are the $15 ones and they work great.  My go to servos for trucks.  

• Like 1

I use Pagid RSL29 with AP Racing calipers.

Great feel/stopping power and no fade.

Makes a mess of your wheels though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M 800STD said:

I use Pagid RSL29 with AP Racing calipers.

Great feel/stopping power and no fade.

Makes a mess of your wheels though.

I've run Pagid on my Jags in the past and they are excellent.  Yes, a bit dusty, but great bite and fade resistance. 

• Like 1

Whilst on the subject of brake pads, I don’t race or do track days, I’ve found using original spec pads on 5 or 6 groove standard discs increases brake performance.   Usually I find I’m lifting off pressure when braking as I seem to be stopping too quickly or just brake late and wizz past the slower vehicles when approaching a roundabout.   The grooves in the disc also keep things wearing flat on the disc face to the point at mot time the readings across each axle are virtually identical.  
My daily cars pictures below are 22 and 18 years old now and the brakes are spot on. 

13BB198C-A6C5-4959-AC0B-2ED6B83620E3.jpeg

F79F5107-223C-42E7-A24E-40B688D234E1.jpeg

My daily driver is a 2019 WRX Limited and it can use some BBK's, but decided not worth spending $7k+ for the set I wanted.. I just brake early.  The factory Brembo's on my STI are night day better.. but again, I don't go crazy speeds to begin with so it's fine.  

I will drive my Golf-R as daily driver when I retire my WRX and the brakes on that car are very good.. I forget which brand pads I installed on that car, (some small name brand) but they are Japanese and very low dust.  

16 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@87lc2  Tried a few manufacturers, never looked back after using Pagid.

@Toolmaker72  Do you restore cars as a profession or is the Jag your project?

I recently started doing classic car new upholstery as a profession. The Jag is my project though.  I used to work as a body press and die toolmaker for Ford motor company and was easy to set things up for machining and repairing car parts between Ford work.  That’s where I get my knowledge of making and repairing, body panels or mechanical stuff.

My Jag is at body restoration firm as they have the tools to do that.  Some of the panels have been altered a little to help prevent corrosion issues again.  That is my input on the body.  It’s not a true factory restoration.    I’ve repaired and rebuilt the mechanicals all myself.  I’ve incorporated quite a few mods there too,  some to aid maintenance when the car gets home and others to improve performance.

Picture below is the gearbox, originally a cable drive to run the Speedo but now with an electric pulse driven speedo.  A little bit of ingenuity to get the part fitting correctly.  Speedo has also been replaced, a simple bezel change to blend in with the original dials.  Little details like that but it won’t be original when looking real close.

45799860-01D2-44C9-AE34-C81352BC4850.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, Toolmaker72 said:

Picture below is the gearbox, originally a cable drive to run the Speedo but now with an electric pulse driven speedo.  A little bit of ingenuity to get the part fitting correctly.  Speedo has also been replaced, a simple bezel change to blend in with the original dials.  Little details like that but it won’t be original when looking real close.

Crazy how we spend so much time and money, and if we do it right, no one will notice...🤷‍♂️

(Kids off school, summer shift cover and other summer stuff, has meant progress on mine has been slow to none existent...)

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Crazy how we spend so much time and money, and if we do it right, no one will notice...🤷‍♂️

(Kids off school, summer shift cover and other summer stuff, has meant progress on mine has been slow to none existent...)

Yep, part of hobby.  To build a better car than standard so it’s not noticeable.  It’s like the hardest thing to do lol.  Sometimes you feel like what ever, it worked for 40 years.  But it didn’t.  It was just repaired a lot for 40 years.

Mine has been slow for quite a while.  I was hoping to have it back  by now but it took longer sorting the gearbox and wrapping the entire loom to look good again.   Fitting that around family life as you say takes time.  
I did manage to take advantage of the hot weather today and give the radiator a good coat of paint.   Black etch prime and then good ole satin black 😊
I had shot blast it nearly two years ago.  I used a media what was like a fine flour so not to damage it.   I straightened up any of the copper fins that looked a bit flat.  Came out really well I thought.  As the engine and gearbox is being fitted into the body soon, the radiator is a bit essential also lol

BCD6CF57-5E35-485D-AE92-6C5D215AC8F2.jpeg

3414B391-475A-46C1-B50C-BAE0BC009F5C.jpeg