Wooders28

Full scale car projects?

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

what a beauty and clean also if you either give the wheels a coat of wax of creamic coat them they should find for every day use

below is a picture of one of the wheels.  No clear coat lacquer on the polished rim.  

753E0F7B-E773-40B5-AA1C-86483397D3DB.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Surely 1/4 mile time too?

@Wooders28  Not 100% sure about this although there is an indication.  Reason being is that at the start the track has rubber already laid down and you can have a good or a bad lauch - human error.

9 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

In the early 90´s, must have been 93 i got posted to Germany, the first car i bought out here was a white, 85, Ur Quattro 10v, (i was 18!). The guy that owned it was getting posted back to the UK, being  a LHD and failing its BFG test he didn´t want to take it back with him.

I swapped that for a white, 82, E21 Alpina B6, that thing was nothing but trouble. I cant remember the name of what exactly broke, but there was some oil seals inside the engine that needed replacing. BMW wanted a fortune for it, so i swapped that for a red, R5 Gt Turbo.

That i then swapped for a gold, Nissan Bluebird Turbo. Don´t see any of those around nowadays.... If i had only kept them all :lol:. Found myself looking at SD1 Vistesse´s last night, i wonder why..... Oh that engine sound :o on the BTTC cars.

Wow, you've had some nice cars.  I was into bikes back then.

All I got to say, as I tell my mates, do it before it's too late.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, at least in the USA in some states they will put you in jail for attempted manslaughter if caught going 20mph+ over the speed limit..  I don't speed, I keep within the speed limit and this is the main reason why I like AWD for putting down instant power and 4 banger-turbo for the quickness without going excessively fast.  

My Supra (running a JB4 piggyback on the B58 pushing  480~500lb/ft torque)  can instantly put me in jail so when I do pull her out for a drive, I only drive the car GT style and enjoy the torque quietly.  When you think about all that, 4 banger AWD MT cars are really nice for dynamic street driving and this is why I have the cars I do..   

That's a bit harsh for 20mph +.  I keep to the speed limits too.

Nice torque figures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Willy iine said:

some states they will put you in jail for attempted manslaughter if caught going 20mph+ over the speed limit

Wow! 😳

From experience,  96mph  on the motorway (70 limit), is 3 points and a fine, above that is a court case...(although have received slaps on the wrist for more, but guess it depends what mood they're in).

3 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@Wooders28  Not 100% sure about this although there is an indication.  Reason being is that at the start the track has rubber already laid down and you can have a good or a bad lauch - human error.

Some 'pop up' tracks (not purpose built,  although only really Santa Pod and Melbourne Raceway in the uk now😢), like 'Spitfire Raceway' in Cornwall, Strightliners at Kirkbride etc, there isn't much rubber down, and is more like street racing ,but yeah, human error is a factor, but quite like the 'man & machine' aspect (or woman & machine..) 

• Like 1

This is Kaiya, a 2003 VW Lupo GTI. I've owned her since September 2004 when she had just 7k miles on the clock. She now has just over 175k and I love this car. She's 'retired' now, as I have a 2019 VW Up! GTI for my daily duties. She needs a bit of love here and there, nothing major though. Mechanically she is 100% sound, had a mild engine rebuild at 118k as a piston ring went, and I also bought a 2nd hand gearbox that I had rebuilt and fitted, still have the original too. It works fine, just getting a bit 'whiney', so I'll get that rebuilt one day as well. 

I've got loads of bits to fit to her, new coilovers, the correct colour front wings, new seat covers, new headlamp for the OS with new xenon bulbs, and a few other mods I've always wanted to do, but never found the time to do. It's my goal to get her looking like she did the day I drove her from the VW forecourt at the dealership I work for. I'm not planning on parting with this car ever! They're quite a rare beast these days, originally around 950 were registered on UK roads over a 5 year period, now down to around 450, and prices are slowly rising. 

20190222_104035.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/13/2022 at 3:44 PM, Willy iine said:

Way back when, I had wheels that had a polished lip and painted spokes similar to his.. Even though I had a nice rich coat of polymer on the wheels (even made for wheel application), unfortunately the salt got UNDER the clear in the polished area where there were tiny chips from daily use.  I could not get to the corrosion/stain and had spots ..  :huh:

Since then, I only run one piece painted wheels on my daily drivers..

if you mean diamond cut wheels where the surface has no paint protection apart from clear coat then i see what you mean the are the worse kind of finish on a wheel no matter what you do they will corrode. when the wheels get hot either from use in in the sun the clear coat will get soft just like on the car so there for brake just will get into and under it plus when the wheel is diamond cut it is enevatable they will ruin/corrode

since i have had my 1.1 car wheels have had corrosion on them and the wheels are known for this on my car i have always polished them and in the 12 years i have owned it they have not got any worse so for me polish and waxing them plus never leaveing brake dust on for long does work

23 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

753E0F7B-E773-40B5-AA1C-86483397D3DB.jpeg

i find it hard to match wheels to a mk1 focus but they do suit it

6 minutes ago, topforcein said:

if you mean diamond cut wheels where the surface has no paint protection apart from clear coat then i see what you mean the are the worse kind of finish on a wheel no matter what you do they will corrode. when the wheels get hot either from use in in the sun the clear coat will get soft just like on the car so there for brake just will get into and under it plus when the wheel is diamond cut it is enevatable they will ruin/corrode

since i have had my 1.1 car wheels have had corrosion on them and the wheels are known for this on my car i have always polished them and in the 12 years i have owned it they have not got any worse so for me polish and waxing them plus never leaveing brake dust on for long does work

My wheels had clear coat over the polished area.  They were perfectly fine until I introduced salt/ice melt.  Then the corrosion happened under the clear so I could not get my polish to make contact.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

My wheels had clear coat over the polished area.  They were perfectly fine until I introduced salt/ice melt.  Then the corrosion happened under the clear so I could not get my polish to make contact.  

yep corrosion will always happen under the clear coat due to not being painted i have even seen new unregistered car that have had to have wheels refurbed due to this i dont know for the life of me why folk buy cars with these kind of finished wheels:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, topforcein said:

yep corrosion will always happen under the clear coat due to not being painted i have even seen new unregistered car that have had to have wheels refurbed due to this i dont know for the life of me why folk buy cars with these kind of finished wheels:rolleyes:

There are many popular factory wheels today that have clear coated machined finishes so it's not uncommon to have such wheels.. but the biggest difference is OEM wheels usually have black paint covering the areas where prone to rock chips hiding any corrosion under the paint. 

8 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

2003 VW Lupo GTI. I've owned her since September 2004 when she had just 7k miles on the clock.

I did like the wee Lupo's, although I still think of them as a new car! 😳

Be interesting to see the progress 👍

Been a while since I did an update, so -

Front arches ,slight repair, sand down, primered and a coat of Halfords finest rattle tin black (mainly as I couldn't be bothered to start mixing 2pk and firing the compressor up etc etc...) 

Do I need to come up with a better plan for the lipo storage in the top left of the picture?

Although each lipo in its own bag, a few in each ammo (seal removed) box, and the ammo boxes then in those metal file boxes. The Bat Box on the top ,contains my most used lipos...

2021-11-30_09-10-10

• Like 4

@Wooders28   Looks like your car is coming along.   

As for RC batteries, I have mine in LiPo bags and placed in a fire safe steel trash can (never used it as a trash can) away from other combustible items.. that's it.  I check the storage voltage every 3 months.  They have been quite stable the last 5years in storage..  

As for  1:1 car news, I reinstated my STI's insurance today.   I hope to have a dry day where I can take her out for a nice spin and get the emissions test completed..

My wife was about to return a bomber jacket my son tried and was too big.. now my new shop jacket for the garage.  :D 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

check the storage voltage every 3 months.

Think I've around 40 lipos, it's a few hours of a job,  storage charging each of them, as they all generally need a bit (only 0.2v or something, nothing worrying), so maybe do them every year...ish. (maybe a sign, I can get rid of some?..🤔)

29 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I reinstated my STI's insurance today

Do you not keep it running, incase the unthinkable happens? Mines still insured, even in its , many parts guise (layed up policy is around £80 a year) 

31 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Looks like your car is coming along

Cheers, bit by bit...

31 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

now my new shop jacket for the garage.  :D 

Result!! 🤣

• Haha 1

@Wooders28  Wow, 40 LiPo's!!  :lol:   I only have like a dozen or so, still a hassle to test them every few months.  

My cars are covered under comprehensive insurance while in the suspended mode during hibernation.  So they're protected if they were in a flood, fire, or stolen, etc.  I just cannot drive in that status as it is required by law to carry liability insurance.  

6 hours ago, topforcein said:

i find it hard to match wheels to a mk1 focus but they do suit it

Thank you.  They were originally from a bmw.  8.5j rears and 7.5j fronts.  Had to do a bit of engineering to fit properly but that was a few years back now.   The blue focus was standard ride height so I got away with the wide rears.  I’m not so sure with my current silver focus as I’ve fitted it with shorter shocks and springs.  I’ll find out soon though. If they rub then it’s a job for the body shop 😊

5B9CCF7E-BF9F-4B6B-BD3E-D5459E0E855E.jpeg

• Like 1

@Toolmaker72 Have you looked at fender rollers?  They’re not that expensive to buy.. + heat gun and you can roll your own fenders and quarter panels.  :D

Do a few buddies and make up for the cost.. unless beer.  

12 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Toolmaker72 Have you looked at fender rollers?  They’re not that expensive to buy.. + heat gun and you can roll your own fenders and quarter panels.  :D

Do a few buddies and make up for the cost.. unless beer.  

Sometimes it’s just nice to let someone else do the work 😎

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

True true.. :lol:

48 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

lol, definitely.

My oem wheels were diamond cut face.  As soon as that lacquer was damages, water ingress, lifting, cloudy and oxidisation.

I'm my wheels worse enemy because no matter what I put on them, even my painted wheels, they get damaged due to using ceramic compound brake pads.  But I can stop/scrub off speed so fast.

7 hours ago, M 800STD said:

My oem wheels were diamond cut face.  As soon as that lacquer was damages, water ingress, lifting, cloudy and oxidisation.

I'm my wheels worse enemy because no matter what I put on them, even my painted wheels, they get damaged due to using ceramic compound brake pads.  But I can stop/scrub off speed so fast.

I don’t have such an exotic excuse to have dirty wheels.  Probably clean the car once or twice a year. Before family I had the cleanest car on the street.  Now it’s probably just the oldest car on the street.  😕