wtcc5

Christmas and Christmas holiday projects

As it stands now, Corona will again have a big impact this Christmas and the following holidays.

So why not keep busy with builds and projects?!

I would love to see what kind of builds and projects you all planned for this time of the year :)

Last Christmas I restored an FF-01 with a New Beetle, the year before, it was a Subaru Impreza WRC with lights on a TT02 chassis.

This Christmas I plan to build and hop up the first of the Skyline SuperGT generation on a TB-03. In the days before new years, I hope to build one of my childhood (first memory of sportscar) favorites: The Mampe Capri. Goal is to hop up it to a Type S with red turnbuckles and dampers.

3a71bf2e-d6a7-4d7a-9yekua.jpeg

Looking forward to see your projects!

• Like 14

Nice project 👍

Remember the Capri has a wheelbase of 251mm

• Thanks 1

@wtcc5 Looks like fun projects lined up for you! 

Will be working on..

GF01-SWB WW2 build

GF01 with F100 body build

Egress rere build 

Bruiser rere build 

During breaks, will continue decorating my imaginary RC shop.   :D

• Like 2

Sort of an xmas present to myself, got an LED kit on the way (to be installed in a Traxxas) so I can drive in the dark this winter :ph34r:

Hoping to have it up and running long before the 25th!

And before I start anymore big Tamiya projects, I have to get my cousin's Slash fixed up. Still needs a deep clean and a bunch of new parts.

• Like 1

Convice wife that we actually have space for TD4 and that it would probably make me better in bed…

Other than that finish my Agrios uprades so i can take out in the snow

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Hopefully build a new trail truck/crawler & get a couple of vintage restos underway. Unless I’m made to watch films. Hey mommy, will daddy be home for thanksgiving? I don’t know sweetheart. Eugh. 

One or both of two projects, both of which are on their way now, both due to arrive Friday.

One is an MST TCR-M chassis, which I have been dying to try out ever since I saw it. Ordered it a month ago, it's finally (almost!) here.

ff_9cf8cb1c1838f91ec9fb3406e60d25d8d9f80

It will wear a Tamiya VW Golf Mk1 body that I have had sitting around for ages and still haven't chosen a paint job for.

The other is a vintage restoration, that I'm keeping under wraps until it arrives. It's... different. We'll leave it at that. ;)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Willy iine: Wow! Impressing. That’s a lot! Do you have pictures of your RC shop?

Thanks, I am not sure if I can get to all of it during the winter break as I still need to move 2 rooms inside the house, but I'm going to get at least the GF01-SWB completed. :D

This is my imaginary RC shop.  I'm using panoramic view so the image is a bit distorted..   The room is still work in progress as just last week I moved from another part of my house and still making various adjustments.

IMG_Nov302021at93527PM.jpg.2fc7fce507f853beb16b7e6acdae494b.jpg

• Like 7

I've been scoring, snapping, and gradually modifying a RJ Speed '55 Bel Air body with the hopes of making a kind of homage to the old Sega video game, "Crazy Taxi."  Still in the process of cutting away more of the body, trying different chassis, trying different offset wheels, and in general just seeing if it has any hope of coming together like I imagine it.  The biggest challenge will be making an interior since the shell has been turned into a convertible now.  Lots of different ways to go here; in my mind I imagine a blend of taxi and lowrider all in one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

GF01 with F100 body build

Funnily enough I’m doing similar. I’ve got two Pro-line ‘66 F100 shells on the way but haven’t worked out what chassis to put it on yet. I’m thinking one of the CC chassis. But I’m also wanting one as a kind of rat rod so not sure what chassis will work as a low rider. 

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks, I am not sure if I can get to all of it during the winter break as I still need to move 2 rooms inside the house, but I'm going to get at least the GF01-SWB completed. :D

This is my imaginary RC shop.  I'm using panoramic view so the image is a bit distorted..   The room is still work in progress as just last week I moved from another part of my house and still making various adjustments.

IMG_Nov302021at93527PM.jpg.2fc7fce507f853beb16b7e6acdae494b.jpg

Looks great! So you've moved it all out from what looked like a large basement area before? If you don't mind me asking, why the move buddy? 

• Thanks 1

I have a NIB Neo Fighter (ridiculously low Amazon UK bargain price atm) on the shelf and my wife is getting me my first 4WD in the form of a Neo Scorcher for Xmas. I am wanting to build at least one of those over the Xmas period. I'd really like to just have a fresh, straight forward NIB build with the Neo Scorcher, but part of me says leave that stuff alone and get working on the mass of Madcap parts I have accumulated to build a shelfer. That way I can then also recoup some money selling the bits I don't use/need. Maybe I can do both!?

There's a tug of war going on there between my heart and my head. Tbh I can't say my head ever really gets a look in with this hobby! If it did I wouldn't have spent anywhere near the amount of cash on this stuff that I have in the last 3 months!!!!

• Like 2

Gmade GS02F under the tree this year. I am selling up stuff to make space so no idea why I bought another car but I felt I needed one 😂

9 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Gmade GS02F under the tree this year. I am selling up stuff to make space so no idea why I bought another car but I felt I needed one 😂

Is there any logic to this hobby Nobbi!?:blink:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Looks great! So you've moved it all out from what looked like a large basement area before? If you don't mind me asking, why the move buddy? 

Thanks!  Yeah, there were a couple of reasons.. one was that my wife was worried that her work gear (mainly servers and computers) was weighing down the first floor a bit too much structurally for the house and wanted to move down in the basement.  So I agreed to switch places as I wanted a larger room for my music gear.. My music room gets my wife’s old work den which is about twice the size, my RC shop got my old music room (pictured above), and my wife gets my old RC space.

The bonus is that my imaginary RC shop will be adjacent to a 250sq ft room where I will clear out and use the entire space to lay down a mini track for my comical cars and crawlers once my teen son goes to college. 

There is still a lot that needs to be done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, simalarion said:

Convice wife that we actually have space for TD4 and that it would probably make me better in bed…

This is the best answer I've seen on here for a long time. Wonder if the same argument will work for a TRF420, maybe not since I'll be talking in 10ths of a second...

• Haha 2

A couple of months back I bought an MST MTX-1 specifically for a winter build project.  Since the I've acquired a JConcepts body (I'm not really a fan of the Toyota body on a monster truck) and my wife has ordered me a cheap brushless combo for a Christmas present.  I'm looking forward to sitting on the sofa with the family during Christmas week and putting it together.  I'll have to prep the body soon so I can paint it during a lunchbreak if we get the weather for it, I don't want yet another car-with-no-body hanging around doing nothing.

My F150 tow truck project might still be ongoing at Christmas, plus I've got most of what I need to get started on my custom leaf-sprung 2.2 monster build, I just need to source some tyres.  Cash is a bit tight at the mo (although I managed to justify an NIB M05 yesterday) but I hope I can stretch the December budget to a few sets of tyres for the F150 tow truck and the leaf-sprung monster, which at least frees me up to work on those.

• Like 2

Got a M-06 Karmann Ghia coming in soon but highly doubtful that it can be a Christmas build as there are still many bits to order for it. In fact looking at the costs for the optional parts, it is probably going to be my last Tamiya RC for a while. Looking back at what I had spent on my recent kits, I think it is time to get something that needs less hop ups out of the box. 

We have a wet Xmas period forecast here in eastern Australia, but I'm hoping for a few fine days so I can paint some bodies. Chassis-wise I'd like to build something over the break, it's a toss-up between the M07R (I already have a finished Alfa Mito body for it) and the VQS. Maybe the TD4 my wife has got me for Xmas though?

I would have liked building some vintage/re-re NIB on Christmas day, like in my teens, but money is tight at the moment and has to fund 1/1 projects, therefore running an old one from the collection will have to suffice; hope to get some snow to recreate the atmosphere in full:P

9 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I have a NIB Neo Fighter (ridiculously low Amazon UK bargain price atm) on the shelf and my wife is getting me my first 4WD in the form of a Neo Scorcher for Xmas. I am wanting to build at least one of those over the Xmas period. I'd really like to just have a fresh, straight forward NIB build with the Neo Scorcher, but part of me says leave that stuff alone and get working on the mass of Madcap parts I have accumulated to build a shelfer. That way I can then also recoup some money selling the bits I don't use/need. Maybe I can do both!?

There's a tug of war going on there between my heart and my head. Tbh I can't say my head ever really gets a look in with this hobby! If it did I wouldn't have spent anywhere near the amount of cash on this stuff that I have in the last 3 months!!!!

Snap! I just ordered the Neo Fighter and the Racing Fighter from Amazon as they are at great prices at the mo. especially as they come with esc. One will be a present to my father-in-law, the other a present from my wife to me (she doesn't know that yet!).

• Haha 1

Oh its stil up for you guys. That Neo Fighter Bargain Seems to be for UK Only, even tried a direct URL to the offer and the price changed to over 100$ for me (Norway)

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks!  Yeah, there were a couple of reasons.. one was that my wife was worried that her work gear (mainly servers and computers) was weighing down the first floor a bit too much structurally for the house and wanted to move down in the basement.  So I agreed to switch places as I wanted a larger room for my music gear.. My music room gets my wife’s old work den which is about twice the size, my RC shop got my old music room (pictured above), and my wife gets my old RC space.

The bonus is that my imaginary RC shop will be adjacent to a 250sq ft room where I will clear out and use the entire space to lay down a mini track for my comical cars and crawlers once my teen son goes to college. 

There is still a lot that needs to be done.

Nice! I look forward to the day I have the space at home for such ventures! Keep us posted on the track room, that sounds awesome. And I can just picture your son coming home from college to find his room transformed into RC land!:lol:

• Haha 1