markbt73

A wild Striker appears!

And I do mean "wild." Look at this glorious thing:

IMG_20211202_165838027.jpg

That's a very nicely and carefully painted Bolink '51 Chevy truck body, and it's not the only modification.

IMG_20211202_170019903.jpg

IMG_20211202_165912743.jpg

CRP front suspension, Pro-Line wheels and tires, custom body mounts, bearings (at least in the hubs, but probably in the gearbox too). Rear tires used to be treaded like the fronts, I think. I get the idea this was all done long ago, and it was all done very carefully and quite well. Somebody really loved this car, and put a lot of effort into making it their own. I took a chance, at at buy-it-now price $109 with free shipping, and now I'm glad I did. This thing is great!

IMG_20211202_170053997.jpg

"2-Cool," indeed.

It's dusty, but aside from the tires, not worn or abused at all. I'm going to give it a very sympathetic restoration, using as much of what's here as I can, and run it carefully now and then. It's kinda the RC equivalent of a "barn find," and I want to respect it.

Look for more photos once it's cleaned up a bit...

• Like 20

I don't even know what this is, but definitley cool.  Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and running.  Has a great vibe to it. 

• Like 2

I love stuff like that - old things that people built with what was around at the time, that's a great piece for any collection

• Like 3

Wow. That is great. No idea why they thought a Striker, of all things, would make a good base, but they seem to have done a good job of it. Love the holes cut in the truck bed for the suspension towers. The fact that the rear tyres have been worn flat suggests it has been well used, but the condition of the body seems to indicate the opposite, unless the body came much later. What a splendid thing to find.

I'm glad you folks get it. I was afraid I'd be alone in my love of this weird pinkish-purple thingy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow. That thing is blazing!  What a unique body on that chassis. Makes sense to me as that shell is hard to find. Love this chassis and the mods. Way cool. May I suggest the cpr front bumper or at least the brace from the cpr bumper to protect the striker chassis weak point?  FYdbLFd.jpgAsk me how I know?

• Like 1

It amazes me sometimes how members of this site, and possibly others manage to come up with really cool vehicles by cobbling together various chassis’s and bodies and this is certainly one of them

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Busdriver said:

It amazes me sometimes how members of this site, and possibly others manage to come up with really cool vehicles by cobbling together various chassis’s and bodies and this is certainly one of them

Stuff like this was so common back in the 80s. I had a Grasshopper with a Dodge Daytona body on it, and my friend had a Buick stock car body on his Ultima. RC Car Action magazine wrote how-to articles on installing aftermarket bodies, and even how to make custom chassis out of plywood using Tamiya Hornet or Frog components. It was a sort of creativity borne of necessity and lack of pre-made options, and it was a ton of fun. What I like best about this truck is that it's a total time capsule from that period.

I had a Brat chassis with a homemade wooden mk1 Landrover body.!!!