Sign in to follow this  
El Gecko

Vintage vs. modern brushed motors

2 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I agree with all the above, I own a comm lathe and rebuild my own brushed motors, the Chinese new ones are junk, you get what you pay for.....

The only new brushed motors that perform like they should are Tamiyas range of Superstock motors, I 

Even the modern Reedy Radeon 30,000 rpm motors don’t do 30,000 rpm .........

Completely agree!   I solely run SuperStock BZ on my recent various buggies for this reason.   They feel old school good quality. 

9 hours ago, sosidge said:

In fact there's a lot of "premium" priced products out there that are coming off the same production lines with a fancy label. You've got to be careful.

2 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Even the modern Reedy Radeon 30,000 rpm motors don’t do 30,000 rpm .........

Agreed, I have one of those Radons too, and it seems a little lazy... not as much punch as I was expecting, although it does reach a decent RPM.

I'll pull it apart at some point, I'm curious what's actually in there.

Just chiming in to agree that most readily available brush motors don't hit like the vintage ones. I've got a variety of Yeah Racing Hackmoto motors, and they're pretty lazy for the wind. A cheap little hop-up, not a racing motor.

A 23t Super Stock vs a 23t Hackmoto would be an unfair comparison, but they're cheap and peppier than a silver can.

Team Brood still makes exceptional brushed motors to your spec, if you want to pay high-end brushless money for a brushed motor. They are very popular with comp crawlers and are worth it from a quality standpoint.

• Like 2

In my experience I have decided it’s only worth going vintage or branded brushed motors or brushless. For the cost of a cheap brushless setup up its not worth the time getting a cheap Chinese can unless it’s for show and even then it might as well be a silver can. I’ve also found another cheap option for a boost is just to increase the voltage if that’s an option. You will be surprised how much the stock silver cans can handle.

there is also something cool about vintage rebuildable motors that can become a hobby all in itself. Both the engineering and the rare collectible elements.

Just a heads up, I picked up a brand new Team Orion 13 turn triple off eBay , after an offer it came in shipped to Oz for under $50 AUD, the seller is in Germany and has more.........also many other winds are available, I particularly wanted the triple.