GeeWings

Super Clodbuster

So, I've been thinking about what to get next and the Hotshot/Super Hotshot has been high up my list but so has a truck of some sort. I've been offered a a great price by someone looking to offload both a Hotshot and Super Clodbuster.

Other than loving the look of the Clod I don't really know much about them. So, would love some opinions from the forum. The one I would be buying has been a shelf queen but I would be using it as a runner.

Before jumping in, what do I need to know about it? What hop-ups/upgraders are considered essential? How do they run and where are they best used?

Thanks in advance for any views/advice.

• Like 1

This was a good thread on expectations, mods and upgrades which might be useful

Depending on your point of view, the best, or worst thing about a Clod is the sheer scope of options of what you want to do with it.  In terms of essentials, though, I'd say if you sort out the steering, but leave the rest of it pretty much stock, you'll still have a ton of fun with it.

By "sort out the steering", that essentially boils down to removing the travel limiters on the front (to give you more throw) and lock the rear.  The stock 4WS system on the Clod is awful, and converting to to 2WS will make LOADS of difference.

After that, if you still want the stock look, the next thing would be to upgrade the shocks and convert it to a 4 link.  Not essential, but it does help give the truck a bit more stability in the corners.

I did a similar thing with mine originally.. showroom link here: 58321: Super Clod Buster Kit from SteelRat showroom, Super Clod Reboot - Tamiya RC & Radio Control Cars (tamiyaclub.com)

I'd say they were the things that made mine way more fun, but still kept it looking stock.  After that, you've got the endless rabbit hole of possibilities in the shape of full on Mod Clod.

So, the bare essentials are bearings and steel pinions for the motors.

I agree with @SteelRat that the stock steering setup is garbage, but I went a different route to solve it, by fitting 2 servos for the steering, one in each axle guard. This removes the slop from the steering, and if you're driving at stock speeds this gives the truck an excellent turning circle without making it too twitchy. Go much faster with it and the rear steering lockout is the way to go. If you go with servo on the axle steering, it also gives the added advantage of freeing up space above the gearboxes to allow more suspension travel (Which can then easily be achieved with the fitment of some oil shocks.)

If you can find them (Good luck) TXT-1 wheels  make the track of the wheels wider, making the truck more stable. You also need the stub axles and hubs, but these are readily-ish available as spares from the TXT-2.

Do you like the build or would you rather have something ready to run? I'm pretty sure the Hotshot and Super Clodbuster (or other monster trucks) are available new to buy.

If you're happy with RTR then choose whichever you prefer. If you want to build, check the prices of kits.

Also, the Boomerang is the best Hotshot chassis car, just saying 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, will have a proper read through the comments. Seems there is lots to look in to which is a large part of the appeal.

@Jonathon Gillham I prefer to build but I can have both for $500 AUD and they are both as new and come with radio gear too. At that price I think it’s too tempting to pass up.

The hotshot would still br a bit of a project as I would want to upgrade and go the route of a supershot anyway and what does appeal to me about the clod is the ongoing customisation possibilities.

Also, I don’t disagree about the Boomerang. It was the only Tamiya that was ‘mine’ as a kid and it’s still (I hope) in my parents loft back in a England. Although my sister reckons it was chucked away a few years ago. I will certainly buy a boomerang if I find out mine is gone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeeWings said:

Thanks everyone, will have a proper read through the comments.

@Jonathon Gillham I prefer to build but I can have both for $500 AUD and they are both as new and come with radio gear too. At that price I think it’s too tempting to pass up.

The hotshot would still br a bit of a project as I would want to upgrade and go the route of a supershot anyway and what does appeal to me about the clod is the ongoing customisation possibilities.

Also, I don’t disagree about the Boomerang. It was the only Tamiya that was ‘mine’ as a kid and it’s still (I hope) in my parents loft back in a England. Although my sister reckons it was chucked away a few years ago. I will certainly buy a boomerang if I find out mine is gone. 

Thats a bargain, buy them both. 

Also, I have been known to say the Boomerang is the pinnacle of RC so take that with a grain of salt (but the Boomerang is the best).

5 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thats a bargain, buy them both. 

Also, I have been known to say the Boomerang is the pinnacle of RC so take that with a grain of salt (but the Boomerang is the best).

Lol. Growing up I had two older brothers who shared RCs and occasionally let me use them; hornet, grasshopper, hotshot and then the Boomerang which was upgraded a bit and had independent shocks. When my brother moved out he gifted the Boomerang to me. I loved it. I definitely want another but would love to see if I can get my one back first.

• Like 2

Sounds like you've made up your mind, and at that price I can't blame you.  Clods are a bit of an acquired taste in the RC world.  If you grew up with them and have a sense of nostalgia they are great, but if you're used to modern RCs and drive one you'll think it's the biggest piece of crap ever :)  

I have a lot of nostalgia for them and its probably my favrotie Tamiya model all things considered.  I've also gone through the customization route more than a few times, but there's nothing like a stock Clod for the fun factor.  Once you start heavily modifying them they loose their charm, but can also become very capable bashers, crawlers, racers, etc.  Some of the quickest pro mod racers are based on the Clod (axles only, but you get my point).  I think the best modifications to keep some of the original charm and also make it a capable runner are steel pinions (this is a must in my opinion), servos mounted on axles, slight wheelbase extension.  That's pretty much it.  My current favorite Clod (I have more than a few...) is my retro race truck.  Used the stock chassis with axle mounted servos and a 1" wheelbase extension.  That's it, still runs stock friction shocks and 27t motors and it handles great and it a pleasure to drive.  It's in my Showroom if you're interested in taking a look. Very knowledgable CLod guys on TC so any issues or questions you have can surely be addressed. 

@87lc2 thanks for the advice and the very clear warning! I'm certainly no RC connoisseur so great to get more opinions.

I have been after a truck for a while and although I had been leaning toward something smaller this is too good to turn down . My current plan is to fit metal bearings and a steel pinion (if they aren't fitted already) and try it for a while. If it doesn't gel at all with me at that stage I will look to sell it on but if there is something about it I like then I will likely start down the path of some more mods you and others have recommended. I stayed up very late last night looking through the various Clod threads on here and, as you said, there is clearly a huge wealth of knowledge to tap in to. 

Edit:

Found your showroom. Certainly lots of inspiration there, great work

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan.  After you realize it's terrible stock you'll either want to sell it or upgrade :)   Be sure to post some pictures when you get it!

Hey @GeeWings ! 

Super Clod, ey? Very cool! You've probabaly seen my Blockhead Clod. I have had it (built) for about a year now. I always wanted one as a kid and finally picked up a NIB for a bargain. Everything they say is true.....they are a bumbling goofy thing to drive, but there is something charming about them. And they look soooooo good on the shelf. 

I wasn't interested in the Mod Clod idea so I kept the upgrades to a minimum: steel pinions, ball bearings and metal version of the B11 part: 

https://flic.kr/p/2iy7SBj

TBH I haven't really driven it that hard so I could have gotten away with the stock, plastic B11 part for the time being.

I really need to get around to posting my build thread for it. Although it's more of a 'paint thread' really :) 

I may look at addressing the sloppy steering some day. For now, I'm happy to admire it on the shelf in between gentle backyard bounces.  

• Like 1

@rc_oxYes, I've seen your Blcokhead Clod and absolutely love it! I will certainly be looking to do a different paint job for this one at some stage but my painting skills are a few levels below yours so will be keeping it simple!

Glad to hear you've enjoyed yours. I won't be running this one hard either but it will certainly get out for some runs. 

Where in Australia are you based?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@rc_oxYes, I've seen your Blcokhead Clod and absolutely love it! I will certainly be looking to do a different paint job for this one at some stage but my painting skills are a few levels below yours so will be keeping it simple!

Glad to hear you've enjoyed yours. I won't be running this one hard either but it will certainly get out for some runs. 

Where in Australia are you based?

Oh, you are too kind :) The paint job changed as I went along and there were a few hiccups/lessons along the way :rolleyes:

I'll be keen to see if you end up with the Clod. I'll let you know when I post the build/paint thread.  

I'm up north, in QLD! :) 

@rc_ox @Badcrumble @87lc2 @MadInventor @SteelRat @Jonathon Gillham thanks all for the advice so far. 

Predictably temptation got the better of me. In the end he dropped the price to $500 for the clod and Hotshot and included four batteries and flysky radio kits. He had more for sale but I had to walk away before I started trading organs ;)

D28696B9-A5CA-4C7C-B564-1BB5BB11EDE7.thumb.jpeg.75c6a2156ebf02a193aeebb4ff3a28ca.jpeg

I’ve only had a very quick look but it seems hardly run and is in great condition. It’s going to get put away for a few weeks while I do more reading on upgrade options, etc.  

Before I put it away I did have a quick look to check how the Proline stampede shell fits. Pretty well I think! 😮

0E1105C1-AF48-44ED-90D5-A56164EBBDC2.thumb.jpeg.4af314bbc8216e33dc424e1a487b93ee.jpeg 

• Like 6

The Clod looks like new, even has mold release on the tires still.  Front tires are backwards :)  The Proline Stampede bodies are close to the same wheelbase, but very narrow.  Unless you really want that look, JConcepts has a lot of 10.5" wheelbase bodies that fit the Clod very well.  

5 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

The Clod looks like new, even has mold release on the tires still.  Front tires are backwards :)  The Proline Stampede bodies are close to the same wheelbase, but very narrow.  Unless you really want that look, JConcepts has a lot of 10.5" wheelbase bodies that fit the Clod very well.  

Yes, the guy reckons it’s literally been driven once and then put on the shelf, with the front tyres backward 😆

You are right about the shell, it’s definitely narrow but will be fun to stick it on as a basher body potentially.

Awesome! Congrats on the new aquisition. That thing looks *mint*!

I used a bit of WD40 on a rag to get the mould release off mine. Or you could just run like it was meant to be ;-) it will come off :D 

A basher body is a great idea. I'm looking at the Traxxas Bigfoot body as an option. 

1 hour ago, rc_ox said:

Awesome! Congrats on the new aquisition. That thing looks *mint*!

I used a bit of WD40 on a rag to get the mould release off mine. Or you could just run like it was meant to be ;-) it will come off :D 

A basher body is a great idea. I'm looking at the Traxxas Bigfoot body as an option. 

Yes, it's got a scuff on the back which he said he just did when packing it up, otherwise a layer of dust is the only real wear visible! 

Thanks for the WD40 tip, I had heard about sticking them in the tumble dryer but might go your route instead!

• Like 1

I buy a lot of monster truck tires and they have a lot of mold release on them, hate it :)   I used to scrub them with Simple Green and that would work to get most of it off, then I heard about the dryer trick and it actually works.  However, it does not actually remove the mold release, more just makes it invisible.   Good enough for me, the tires actually get a bit stickier after doing it.  

I'll have to try the WD-40 though, if it actually removes it that would be great.  It's funny, I'll buy two sets of the same tires at times (Proline, JConcepts, etc.) and one set will be covered in it and the other will be perfectly clean.  Guess it depends on when they started sticking in the mold and the machine operator gives it a good spray.  Proline release is the worst, it's a brown color and makes the tires look awful.  I dont mind cleaning buggy tires and crawler tires, but monster truck tires are a pain because they're so big.  That's why I've been using the dryer trick.  Makes them look good enough for my post-build photos and after than it doesnt matter anyway, they get dirty and wear off the release in time.  

Good to get the reassurance that the dryer won't destroy them! What temperature do you run it at?

Good question...I have no idea to be honest.  Pretty sure I usually put them on low heat for 15 minutes or so, its not really an exact sciene and you won't ruin them.  Be sure to put them in a pillow case or something otherwise you'll get black marks all over the inside of the dryer.  Wife doesn't like that too much :)  

Some say that the Clodbuster is so big, it has its own gravitational pull,

And when you punch the throttle on a Clodbuster, it doesn't travel forwards, it actually pushes the world backwards.

All we know is that it's called the Clodbuster.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1