simalarion

Suggestions on TXT-2 Oil Dampers

A direct fit would be nice :), im quite new so i do not know what exactly to look after to find a direct fit.

I have been looking since i got the kit. Reason for steering away from official Tamiya PiggyBack is first off all Price and i also heard they are very hard to setup just right. I have been looking at options and have some earlier sugestions but they where not in stock. What i found now is:

Tamiya 54541 RC Truck CC-01 Aluminum Oil Shock Damper (4pcs) Set Hop Up Parts

Does not say how high they are and not sure if the upper part is a fit but they are ment for chassis CC-01, i was thinking about using springs i have now on TxT-2

Any reason you're looking to upgrade?  Just asking because I love the stock TXT-2 shocks, they work very well.  Try messing with the pistons/oil weight if you want to change how the truck feels.  I usually ditch the stock aluminum side plates (they're so heavy) and run 3-hole pistons with 15-20wt oil.  Sometimes just one spring on each corner, leave the other shock as a damper only. 

If you're set on upgrading look into the GMade line.  I've used the aeration & piggyback versions on other monster trucks and they're pretty nice.  Proline Powerstrokes are also very smooth and would work well on the TXT.  However, I dont think any of these would really give a perfomance upgrade, the stock shocks are pretty good.

• Like 1

I bought the Hop-Up dampers for Top-Force https://www.rcmart.com/index.php?route=product/product&osc_sku=74789

These where superb compared to stock, i got them just they way i wanted right away and they improved performance (its possible that i just could not get the stock ones right to), and ofc they look better.

As i do not know exactly how i want a Monster truck to handle/perform its harder to say but i feel it flipped to easy but then again i believe my new Firestorm Tyres will help there :), but i somehow believe it would handle better in other words, but then again not sure

Edit: Do not remember if i installed the 3 hole ones, but i followed the manual so i can check tomorrow

Those Top Force dampers look nice!

I think the manual specs the 2-hole pistons, but not 100% sure.  I like the 3 holes with light oil, the truck lands a lot better like that.  With monster trucks it's all about soaking up the landing from the jump.  You don't want the truck to bounce after it lands, the idea is to get on the throttle as soon as possible after coming down.  That's how I set up my trucks for racing, for fun it's whatever suits your needs.  

• Thanks 1

@Killajb - yes this was the ones i mentioned in previous post (could not find my older post) but RCmart as they where linked to then had only 3 pairs in stock and i need 4(to few in stock on Ebay also and expensive on Ebay + vat + shipping). But thanks it seems they are in stock there, have not used 3Racing store before

These dampers come stock on the 3Racing Cactus 2wd buggy, which is aimed at the upper tier of 2wd mid-motor competition.  I have that buggy and based on how good those shocks were, decided to give it a try.  Like you, I found stock was limited in my local hobby shops here.  However..  I noticed that Kyosho uses the exact same dampers on their Outlaw Rampage Pro.  Figured, must be a good thing if Kyosho outsources them as well.  Plus, 8 of these are 1/2 the cost of the Tamiya dual reservoir dampers I bought for the Bullhead...  and they work much better as well.

• Thanks 1

RcJaz Seems to be the same online shop(?), same stock, Same layout, same prices. Sinch i use RcJaz alteady i used my login there. This will probably be the last Agrios update, thanks for helping out

RcJaz very slow on this one, only status -Processing- after some working days. I asked if product was in stock and they only told me to wait :), oh well.

They where exactly what i was after, easy to get just as i wanted them, one part in the msnual i had to jump over though as oil got out the shock-shaft did not kick back anymore (as i suspected). @Killajb did you do this part:

spacer.png
So i jumped over this part to keep a bit kickback, went out for a testrun and are very happy with them:

spacer.png

@simalarion yes, I did "bleed"  air and excess oil from the dampers when I assembled them.  Having the "kickback" as you call it means that too much oil is inside the damper cylinder and cannot pass through the piston holes when the shock is compressed.  You are relying on the O-ring, shock cap and bleed screw to hold all that pressure in while you bounce around, eventually it may cause a leak somewhere.

To think of it another way, the "kickback" is actually doing what you want the shock springs to do (push the shock shaft out).   If we played catch with fresh laid eggs (why I have no idea.. but let's just run with the analogy), having a "neutral" shock balance with the right amount of oil would be like wearing pillows for gloves to catch those eggs.  Having a "positive" shock balance, would be like wearing filled balloons for gloves.   I may be rambling.. but hopefully you get the idea.

• Thanks 1

Was confused in that area because so many say there should be a push back and was never sure how much. Agrios are better than i got the stock shocks as they are now but not as good as i got those top-force hop-up damper but i toght it had much to do with the weight. I will try to follow this step then :)

For what its worth I set my shocks up with very little push back on my race trucks, allows for a much flatter landing so the truck can just stick and go.  Remember, on a monster truck the tires play a pretty big role in suspension, espcially if you're using uncut stock foams in those Firestorm tires, they will bounce unless you cut the foams or have very soft shocks with little to no rebound.  Soft springs and light oil play a role in that as well.  You don't want the truck to rebound quickly when racing monster trucks, but for fun running whatever works for you is best.  On lighter vehicles (short course, buggy, etc.) I set the shocks up with about half stroke of push back since tires play much less of a role in suspension.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that is what i was looking for also. They are pretty close as the setup are now, some are at the most pushing halfway out, as they have a tendency to soften up under use i leave them for now even if i think it was i tiny bit to jumpy stil, well im going off to Sweden tomorrow anyway and are back New Year 

• Like 1