Goudar

Restoration stuff

Did anyone ever tried to sand a lexan body shell ? 'Cause I got a vintage OG shell but there is some pretty nasty scratchs on the inside.

Can someone in EU got a supplier for screws, I can't find one in my country that can provide some screws for my next build.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, it is possible to polish clear plastic, you just need to use every finer sheets of wet and dry, in 'wet' mode. Tamiya used to recommend sanding the inside of lexan shells before painting them  to give the paint a surface to 'key' to, so you don't need to get the surface back to perfectly unblemished anyway.  This was back in the day when polycarb paint came in bottles. I can remember removing tamiya paint from an un-keyed shell with a blunt screwdriver. Modern paint may chemically bond to the lexan so you might have less luck with them. I would suggest getting some wet and dry paper, rough up a scrap piece of lexan with the roughest grade, and then see how much of an improvement you get with then polishing it with the finer grades of paper. Bear in mind that lexan shells usually have areas that are near impossible to sand, and power tools are going to be a 'no-no' as they can easily put holes in the plastic. It's just down to patience and lots and lots of elbow grease.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goudar said:

Did anyone ever tried to sand a lexan body shell ? 'Cause I got a vintage OG shell but there is some pretty nasty scratchs on the inside.

Can someone in EU got a supplier for screws, I can't find one in my country that can provide some screws for my next build.

Thanks.

What kind of screws are you looking for? I've bought stainless steel screws from Amazon and eBay. If I need model specific screws I use Tamico or other retailers.

No idea on the scratches of lexan body's. Maybe you can made some tests on an empty bottle.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

What kind of screws are you looking for? I've bought stainless steel screws from Amazon and eBay. If I need model specific screws I use Tamico or other retailers.

No idea on the scratches of lexan body's. Maybe you can made some tests on an empty bottle.

I'm looking for flat head machined screws (M3x15mm). I may try under Alishop.

Good idea for plastic bottle.

Hey @Goudar, is this for the MC?

For original hardware such as screws, I usually look at the back of the instruction manual for the product code and search the web for that plus the word Tamiya. Usually people like Tony's Tamiya have them, but also some places in Germany. One of which I use doesn't post to UK, but I have a family friend in DE so they send onto me. The model shop might post to France though - https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/

If you need help sending stuff over from the the UK just let me know bud:)

@Kol__ Modellbau do not send in France :( Thanks for your offer, really pleasant.

Nope, it's not for my Madcap. But I got some nasty screws on that one too. I presume they can be found more easily ?

It freashly arrived today, check "The "Postman Brought Me" thread hehe

• Like 1

Nice, checked out the Postman thread. I reckon you'll get the rest of that paint off pretty easily mate, a lot of it has ready come off! A forum member (sorry I forget which) recently recommended micro mesh for polishing up top coats and lacquers. I wonder if the coarser grades would also be a sensible option for gently removing paint from the inside of a lexan shell? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Mesh-Abrasive-Polishing-Cloth-Sheets-9-Grades-7-Sizes-Available-/333641208471?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

@Kol__Thanks for link, the main problem is to remove scratchs from lexan shell.

I will try with wet 1000 2000 sand paper. Then polish with micro mesh. :)

Anyone has a trick to refurbish tires ? Just for shelf purpose.

8 hours ago, Goudar said:

@Kol__Thanks for link, the main problem is to remove scratchs from lexan shell.

I will try with wet 1000 2000 sand paper. Then polish with micro mesh. :)

Anyone has a trick to refurbish tires ? Just for shelf purpose.

What's the matter with the tires? Do they have  flat spots or are they cracked or just brittle?

I guess thats the way to go. Warm water and mild soap. I would try silicone oil after that. 

• Thanks 1

I think you could also try a vinyl/rubber treatment that offers cleaning, protection and shine etc. such as the 1:1 car AutoGlym products or 1:1 tire shine products.

I use this on my 1:1 car interior -

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning/autoglym-vinyl-and-rubber-care-500ml-121657.html

And this on my motorcycle body panel and most of the bike - 

https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/Motorex-Protect-upgraded-645-500ml-Cleaning-Product/d57134846.htm?colour=Clear&sku=754879&productid=206050&gclid=CjwKCAiA78aNBhAlEiwA7B76p0bEwut0fuAcffV6eQd4le6syRTzNoJUvUkpoJE49ryPHZinzNcNoRoCS6QQAvD_BwE

I'm going to try both on a set of new RC tyres that have that grey grubby finish to them straight out of the packet. What that is all about I have no idea. Tyres are made of black rubber and should be a nice deep black!!

Edited by Kol__
Edited to add links to products
  • Thanks 1

For tyres soak them in glycerin.

As long as they aren’t too cracked, it really helps.

Soak them in the glycerin for at least a week, turn the tyre over every day or two.

Then when you take them out, leave them for a good week or so, to let the tyres dry off.

Patience is the key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1