rich_morris

Tamiya PS-46 Iridescent Purple Green

Hi all,

I'm thinking of using Tamiya PS-46 Iridescent Purple Green Polycarbonate Spray Paint on a Toyota Supra body shell arriving soon.

I can see that you need a black paint inside it, but wondered if anybody had used it, and how they found results?

Is it just a case of build up a few light coats?

Rich

Ive not used that particular one but I have used their anodised aluminium blue and silver PS paints which are both labelled as needing to be backed with PS5 black after. What I found was that in both instances I used the entire can of the blue and silver in numerous light coats - these werent particularly large bodies either (Df03 dark impact and an F104 F1) Surprisingly it doesnt add a great deal of weight to the shells like some paints do so even though a whole tin might be used tje actual paint volume seems low.

So after expending the whole of each can you are then left with a dull muddy looking thing that you wonder why youve paid the extra premium on a tin of paint plus the cost of the black. 

Then you add the black and it totally transforms it.

• Like 1

I have used the irredscent purple-green paint. I started with a coat of the Lame Flake first, for extra glitter. I did a few coats of the purple-green, then backed with black. The colour change is very noticable, especially in strong sunlight. 

IMG_1083.jpg.6292c1638780a99e845e6eb065cce646.jpg

3 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

I have used the irredscent purple-green paint. I started with a coat of the Lame Flake first, for extra glitter. I did a few coats of the purple-green, then backed with black. The colour change is very noticable, especially in strong sunlight. 

IMG_1083.jpg.6292c1638780a99e845e6eb065cce646.jpg

Thanks. Is the effect quite even all over, or does it require special attention to get the effect even all over. An even coat.

18 hours ago, rich_morris said:

Thanks. Is the effect quite even all over, or does it require special attention to get the effect even all over. An even coat.

It's sort of translucent, so it benefits from light, even coats. I think I did about 3 or 4 coats, then the black. I did it on a nice warm, dry day so only needed a few minutes between coats.

• Like 1

For good coverage, do multiple light coats.  It will dry faster and provide more even coverage.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input on this 

I used the paint today. It went well, and looked brilliant, until I made a mistake with some cling film. (Another post).

The colour change is very effective. Will use again.

Rich

• Like 2