Beetlemankurt

Kenworth W924 log truck scale build

Hi all, I’ve mentioned on here previously that I am about to start building the abovementioned truck. So here we go! 
This will be a SLOW build for three reasons:

a). Not much in the way of hobby time (I’m sure most know the feeling)

b). It’s gotta be scale….I’ll be using a Revell 1:25 W900 kit as a reference to scale up (will be under the Christmas tree this year), and online photo references to get it as accurate as possible. I’m also going to be building a home vacuum former to make some of the body panels.

c). I’ve started with just the body for two reasons. Firstly, I don’t want to have a the truck built and be tempted to rush the body, and secondly by the time I finish the body I should have saved enough for the rest of the kit.

So if you don’t mind a slow build, follow along as I venture into many aspects of styrene building for the first time. I’m looking forward to learning some new skills along the way. Won’t be much progress on this until after Christmas but hope to get through a bit over the holidays. 

The truck I will be replicating is pictured below (thanks pinterest). It was driven by a family friend for quite some time and I spent some time knocking around in this a young fella. While pictured as a chip truck, it actually spent most of the time I knew it as a log truck (which is what I will be building). This truck is still around and has been on sold, repainted and is now a tipper truck.

I bought the body from Tony’s Tamiya Parts in the UK and got fantastic service as always. I was a bit shocked when it arrived as the box looked like it had been run over by a postal truck somewhere between the UK and New Zealand. Fortunately, the body while having sustained some damage was able to be worked back into shape with careful use of a hairdryer. I must be clear this was the postal companies fault, not Tony’s as he always packs goods well and has top customer service. Cheers Tony!

So, here we go!……..

2591ADAA-B6CF-465E-8497-F44A4B27D8F4.jpeg

6FEAA6FE-3C95-4064-B906-A6ECAEC167CB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sleeper cab cut off and some cardboard 'mock up' pieces roughly stuck on just to get me thinking about the next steps in the build and get my eye tuned in :). Sitting proudly next to its big brother the Scania.

I'll be building a styrene custom grille and use bare metal foil for the chrome. Looked into molotow liquid chrome pen and Alclad chrome paint but neither seem very durable. Fine for static but not so much for RC.

Have a good weekend all!

20211127_160954.jpg

• Like 5

Cool project! Will have en eye on it as I every now and then feel the urge of building such a truck. Up to now I could resist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beetlemankurt said:

6FEAA6FE-3C95-4064-B906-A6ECAEC167CB.jpeg

It doesn’t look exactly like a Kenworth. A bit too brown. But stick a few wheels on and I reckon it’s done ;)

In all seriousness I envy people like you that have the vision and skills to do such a job. Really looking forward to seeing it progress.

• Like 1

Ha ha, that certainly made me smile! I spose its got a good crumple zone!

I'm looking forward to it, it's a bit nerve wracking cutting into a brand new shell but it's on its way now.....cheers for the vote of confidence 😁.

Kurt

i don't know if you can get it in NZ, but i have been hearing a lot of good reports about the Krylon chrome spray paint ...  

• Like 1

Thanks Tim, appreciate the heads up. I'll keep an eye out when I'm in town as getting a good chrome finish that is durable on something that isn't metal is certainly challenging. 

I managed to locate a plastic chrome plating company in Auckland but the item needs to be able to stand 70 degrees C for two hours...I'm sure the styrene itself would be OK but the smaller sections could potentially buckle so I'd rather look at paint or chrome bare metal foil. Always good to have options as the grille is such a focal point of the truck. Thanks again. Kurt.

• Like 1

Is anyone out there please able to let me know the diameter of the fog/spotlight lens that fit in the front bumper of the stock King Hauler kit and maybe post a pic? If they are the correct diameter I may look at ordering an additional set to use as headlights. Either that or I'll have to make a set from clear styrene.

For those outside of Aus/NZ, the W series KW's in the mid eighties here and in Aus had slightly larger round headlights and were often fitted with rounded/convex plastic headlight protectors over the front of them also. I'm not 100% certain if they were like this elsewhere in the world but the photos that I've come across would suggest not as they seem to shift to rectangular in other countries by then (happy to be proven wrong if anyone wishes to educate me further 😊). From what I've read, this was seen to be an advantage in places like the outback where a pencil like beam could highlight animals etc a long way up ahead if they needed to slow a road train down in advance, also they were widely available from a practicality sense.....there's a dose of random trivia for ya!

Cheers Kurt

Well, while I am waiting on the Revell kit to arrive for me to use as a reference, I spent some time in the garage this afternoon and  'recycled' an old set of cube shelves into a vacuum former today. Really pleased with just how much suction it's got so I'm sure it will do a great job when it comes to vacuum forming the the guards, bonnet and cab roof. 

Now I've just got to make the frame to hold the styrene while it's being formed and she will be good to go! I'm pretty excited to get going on it and do some experimenting!

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Kurt

20211218_172931.jpg

• Like 4

Beetlemankurt, one recommendation i have for you, having built a vac former myself.  there is no reason at all to make it that tall, the side walls only need to be tall enough to allow the vacuum hose to connect.  consider this:  the entire volume of that box needs to be removed to create a vacuum.  the smaller the box, the faster the vacuum is created, and the more suction that can happen.

• Thanks 1

Hey Tim. Aha..... now that makes sense. I might have to do a bit of trimming before I get stuck in. Cheers!

Edit: A few swipes of the saw and a new hole for the vacuum, she's now less than a 1/3 height it was. Can't wait to try it out!

@Beetlemankurt Looks like a great project, with a lot of creativity!! I'll definitely be staying tuned! 😁 

And I'm used to slow going.... my Smokey and the Bandit Rig has been on hold for 4 months now, whilst I struggle with programming the Beier Sound and Light System. 🙄🤬🤬🤬😭  I WILL be getting back to it soon....

And thanks to a GENEROUS benefactor, I also have a 8X4 Tamiya Dump Truck to eventually build!!!! 😁😁🙏 

So carry on and Merry Christmas 🎅 🎄 

@Carmine A, thanks for following along. I’d love to see your Smokey & the Bandit rig, such an iconic KW.

ive been thinking about a Beier sound unit for my rig, what is giving you a headache with your unit? Id be interested to know. 
VERY cool you have a dump truck waiting in the works too, exciting stuff. I take it it’s the Merc?

You have a fantastic Christmas too!

Cheer Kurt.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

@Carmine A, thanks for following along. I’d love to see your Smokey & the Bandit rig, such an iconic KW.

ive been thinking about a Beier sound unit for my rig, what is giving you a headache with your unit? Id be interested to know. 
VERY cool you have a dump truck waiting in the works too, exciting stuff. I take it it’s the Merc?

You have a fantastic Christmas too!

Cheer Kurt.

Kurt,  it's more my ineptitude than the Beier product!! 🤬🙄 I'm getting closer. It had troubles dealing with Windows 10, but it's getting sorted. My biggest problem was, the best instruction Videos are all in German... which sadly I don't know. 

I would highly recommend the Beier for you! It's infinitely better than the MFC-01/03. Your Kenny can have an ACCURATE  Cummins, CAT or International Engine sounds, your choice, all came in Kenworths! And many cool Horns.... Air Brake sounds, you can even make your Driver FART at will!!! 🤪🤣 (a favorite of my Grandbabies) 

Yes my Friend, it's the Merc Actros 8X4 Dumper!!! I still can't believe this $1100 beauty is a GIFT!! I teared up when I opened the box. 😭  It can be set up with single Servo, 4-Wheel front Steering, or a Servo on each Axle....  I figured a single 35kg Metal Geared Servo was more than up to the task! I can't WAIT to get started!!! 😁😇😍 

But I NEED to get Smokey done first. So much work has already gone into her.... like yours, pretty far from Bog Standard. Since I've also got a Globe Liner, I'm going to swap Stacks with the Kenny... The Globe Liner has the correct Exhaust Stacks. Besides, Smokey and the Bandit has always been the primary reason I wanted a 1/14th Scale Rig..... 

Now I've got FOUR!!! 🤯😵😁

@Carmine A, thanks for the info re: the sound unit. I’m glad to hear that it’s a good unit overall as I’ve seen a few vids on YT and like the gear shift simulation and the authentic sound. They are certainly not cheap but I guess you get what you pay for.  Keep at it mate, I’m sure you will figure it out…then I’ll be able to come to you for guidance when I get stuck! :lol:…I’m sure my kids will enjoy a farting driver also he he…

Your Merc sounds cool, what a cool thing for someone to do by gifting it to you. Sounds like it’s gone to a good home.

I look forward to following your Smokey build. I remember this truck very well.

While waiting for my Revell kit to arrive, I’ve been sussing out which bits I need to change/customise on the KH body for me to be happy with the end result (too darn fussy for my own good  <_<). Just about every part of the body will end up being modified in some way to varying degrees. Some will just need some minor reshaping, other bits will be completely replaced with new custom parts.  I’m (trying to be) very patient by waiting until the kit gets here for an additional reference before I start chopping/shaping too much…..

Merry Christmas to you and all TC’ers and may your Christmas tree have many many truck parts hiding under it! 

Cheers Kurt

• Thanks 1

@Beetlemankurt Kurt,  I'm still STUNNED by the gift!! It was by the "RC Elf", I don't know if this forum has heard of him..... He enjoys buying people with small YouTube Channels, whatever RCs they desire! He ALREADY got me a CC-02 Unimog and a G6-01 King Yellow. I thought that was MORE than enough! 

THEN - he read comments on other Channels, about how much I wanted the Merc Dump Truck..... and he sent me an email with a picture of it, and a note saying "be sure to be home when FedEx DELIVERS it!!!!!" 🤯🤯🤯😁😁 

BIG piece of advice.... IF you're looking at the Model that goes with a separate ESC, like I did.... DO NOT get the USM-RC-2 available now! It's very limited in capacity. Only TWO input Channels, after Steering and ESC! 🤬  The NEW USM-RC-3 does the same plus more, and has SIX input Channels - up to  EIGHTEEN Channels if your Radio has S-Bus!!! 😎😊👌  it also can control 3 auxiliary Servos or electric Motors - for whatever purpose you'd like.  AND it's only $10 (USD) more! 

I'm very excited about the level of custom work you've taken on. Mine is more of a representation of a W900.... You're doing an exact COPY! 💯 

My Friend, patience is the hardest part!

That’s such a cool story about the RC Elf, what a legend! Just as cool that it’s gone to someone that really appreciates it too B)…nice to know there are still selfless people out there who simply want to make others happy.

That’s really good advice about the Beier units, thanks! I’m never too sure where to start looking with the sound/lighting stuff as there are so many different units and combos on offer. What you’ve suggested sounds like a good option. 

re: the custom work, I think the KIng Hauler is an absolutely gorgeous truck whether completely bone stock, or customised. I’ve just been itching to make something custom for some time now, so decided to go all in! It’s certainly going to be challenging and not every bit will be smooth sailing….but hey, it should be fun along the way and hopefully I’ll learn a bit while I’m at it! :P….that’s the plan anyway :D.

• Like 1

Absolutely Kurt! If you're not having fun, what's the point, right? Your plan sounds exciting!! 

I learned the HARD way! The USM-RC-2 was recommended by a Hobby Shop, who I now know was just eliminating his old stock. 🤬🤬🤬  The RC-3 is clearly superior. I was able to buy ONE. 

As I sort this MESS, I will try and help you as much as I can! 

Try to run any Chassis Wiring, BEFORE fitting Axles and Body parts. You'll thank me later!

• Like 1

Hi all, well I was hoping to have a bit more to report by now however this pesky virus is certainly making it tricky to get bits and pieces from around the world at the moment.

The Revell 1:25 scale kit I've ordered from a local Hobby shop to serve as a reference to scale up for my build, has decided it is taking the scenic route to New Zealand from the USA :lol:....I've been informed that the original kit was ordered in early December but ended up going MIA along with a sizable shipment of other kits somewhere in Japan on their way here from the States. 

A second batch was then ordered on 5 December from the States but the Hobby shop's just been told that the complete shipment was accidentally returned to the shipper before even leaving the US.....it's been resent to NZ today with an ETA of late March..oops....so.....there will be a little more waiting yet until this kit arrives and I can get stuck in, but hopefully it turns up sooner than expected. 

In the meantime, I've managed to get some Lesu Dayton Spider wheel rims and a KW front bonnet/hood badge from Ric at Garden Trucking. Ric has advised he is also looking to make some Kenworth hood (side) badges shortly which will be great! Might be handy for others here on TC as well.

In the meantime, I'll keep saving for the King Hauler kit and watching the other cool builds happening on TC. Just as well us modellers are generally a (fairly) patient bunch.....I'm sure it'll work out all in good time B).

BTW....I like the look of the new Tamiya Scania released yesterday. I'd love for them to release that as a twin steer logger...what's the bet that will happen at some stage in the couple of years......twin steer mechanics from the 8x4 Arocs, logging stanchion set up from the Volvo, bung the Scania body on top and voila!

Catch ya, Kurt.

• Like 2

Twin Steer Logger... now THAT'S cool!! 😎 Tell Tamiya, it's quite doable. Might as well make longer frame rails, to justify the extra capacity.

Having Shipping issues here in the Colonies as well. 🤬🤬  Most have heard about our Cargo Ship fiasco, where NOTHING could get in... Well China, not wanting to miss out on $$$, started Shipping to the US by Air!  Works for us, China orders now take no more than a WEEK!!! 😳😁  Of course it won't last, but nice while it's here.  OTHER places... we're experiencing what you are. I'm still waiting after 7 months, for an order from Mighty Car Mods, in Sydney. UK orders are only a bit shorter. 

Have I mentioned that I HATE COVID!!!!😭😫😡🤬🤬🤬 

• Like 1

Well my Revell kit arrived a week ago so I've been busy taking measurements off it and increasing the size by 87.71% which brings it right up to the King Hauler body dimensions and allows for the styrene forming thickness of 1.5mm.

From there, I've printed off a number of scale photos resized to what I need to then transfer this to MDF and shape the bucks that will be used on the vacuum former.

To get an idea if I'm heading in the right direction, I've just sellotaped the correct sized prints onto the KH body to get an idea of what it will look like. You've got to use a bit of imagination but it's really starting to look like a Kenworth! Interesting too when comparing the prints to the Revell KW, the Revell W900 is definately a very accurate model kit so it should help me to shape the contours nicely. 

What I have realised through this is that due to the amount of cutting and reshaping needed it is going to be easier/stronger to start with making a whole new cab etc from styrene sheet...rather than cutting the KH body up and patching it multiple times.

Now....off to start transferring this onto wood!

Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe.

Kurt

20220312_130604.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Kurt 👍🏻 That’s how it should have looked in the first place from Tamiya. Funny to think that you now have a Log truck made out of paper 😉

• Like 1

:lol:..:D...too right! I didn't think about the paper logging truck aspect...he he.

It's been awesome to find so much reference material in the way of photos on line. Don't know what I would have done without it. 

Looking forward to getting stuck into the next phase followed by an actual plastic version of my Origami Kenworth :ph34r:....

Hopefully Berman you'll actually get to see it person when it's done at a truck show demo somewhere.....when we return to some sort of normality out there that is.

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 2