Beetlemankurt

Kenworth W924 log truck scale build

Hummmmm, not done it myself but I seem to recall using rails from other kits can get what you need sometimes? 
@Mad Ax has chopped and changed all sorts, perhaps he could offer some advice?

• Like 1

Hmm, good shout @Re-Bugged!  Thanks for the mention, I haven't been watching this thread recently (I've got a huge backlog of build threads to read through when I'm a bit less busy!)

The only time I did this was on my Drag King project, when I needed to both shorten and lower the front half of the chassis rails to level up the body to use the smaller front tyres.  You can see photos and details on this page, but basically I just chopped the chassis rails down the middle, notched them to overlap, and made some plates to reconnect them.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88916-king-hauler-drag-truck/&page=2

You could use this technique, but you would have a plate visible on the outside.  The other option is to get some aluminium stock that fits nicely inside the chassis rails, and make brace bars to run over the join.  As you're going for a true scale build, you'd probably want to do this under the cab to hide it.  It still may not be the perfect option for you, though.

The other option is to make all-new chassis rails.  A quick search for "custom tamiya chassis rails" brought up this UK seller - I don't know how much Carson stock you get on your side of the planet, but it's possible this is just a readily-available aluminium section that's been powder coated black and had a Carson label stuck on it and marked up by 1000%.  I don't have any of my rigs around right now to measure the chassis rails, if you could buy aluminium stock of the correct size already, you can make any length you want.  I'd go measure, but all my rigs are way up in the storage area which is cold and full of dust and cobwebs.

https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Cars/Truck-Accessories/Carson-Truck-Accessories/227998-/Carson-Tamiya-114-Aluminium-Chassis-Section-2x-1m-Lengths?fo_c=3984&fo_k=0eeffd5397adc1b9cd026d34d039d7bc&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKCAiAuOieBhAIEiwAgjCvcgCqcb3A0r4uXaIW45Sxlh5c6wAm8BrqOov6Ld6dFKgrMkiRy8EE7hoCiigQAvD_BwE

You can accurately drill the holes by clamping the stock chassis rails over the new rails and using the stock holes as a template.  I don't know how well the alu section will take a thread, so the threaded holes may need to be replaced with nuts on the back side.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both of you guys, much appreciated. 

Definately a couple of good options there. I'll do a bit of searching in regard to blank chassis rails and failing that, the cut and shut option under the cab could be a goer. Cheers for the Carson link, don't see a lot this brand down this way but i'll do some price comparisons (as shipping costs are an ongoing pain).

Thanks again chaps. Won't be shortening it for a wee while yet as I've got to finish the body first, but you'll know when I do :).

Kurt

• Like 1

i shortened a set of Globe Liner frame rails by several inches...

basically removed the entire rear most axle from the truck.  i also moved the front axle forward by about 1/4" by relocating where the front leaf spring brackets mount.  used a completely differernt rear suspension system ("airbags"), so i had to re-drill all the suspension mounting holes, and most of those were also tapped.  this also caused all the holes for the fifth wheel assembly to get moved.

• Like 2

Thanks heaps Tim, funnily enough I was just thinking of your build this morning...it dawned on me that you had done some shortening.

Cheers for the info, I'm gonna have to figure out exactly how much I need to chop so I can decide whether to go with new rails and redrill/tap or whether cutting and bracing will do the trick....I'm kinda leaning toward drilling new rails as the front axle is also going to need to be shifted forward while retaining the same ride height.

Thanks again

Kurt

5 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

("airbags")

As fantastic as the big rigs are I just wish Tamiya would start putting them on their Trucks now. To still be putting Leaf springs on the back of the Euro’s is bizarre for a company that pride themselves in scale looks. But at least they well hidden under the guards on the them.  (sorry just bugs me a little 😉)

• Like 1

He he..:lol:...now where would the fun in that be?...nothing to upgrade and spend more money on? Ha ha...

Be interesting to see whether they go down this track in the future at some point. The rigs seem to be getting more and more scale body wise so you never know. I suspect they will stick to the same chassis platform though for some time to come and concentrate their efforts on the bodies/guards etc...I'd like to see them add more licensed American rigs to the lineup in addition to the awesome euro offerings. 

Wouldnt be overly surprised if a cabover freightliner comes out at some stage if the licensing still exists from the Cascadia....time will tell.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

As fantastic as the big rigs are I just wish Tamiya would start putting them on their Trucks now. To still be putting Leaf springs on the back of the Euro’s is bizarre for a company that pride themselves in scale looks. But at least they well hidden under the guards on the them.  (sorry just bugs me a little 😉)

to be brutally honest, i wish i had just bought a set of the shortest blank frame rails i could find, cut them to the right length, and drilled all new holes.  except that is 20-20 hindsight.  i had no idea what i was doing to start with, so i realized this about halfway through getting the front axle re-aligned.  there are a whole lot of holes in the frames now that don't need to be there.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 12:46 AM, Re-Bugged said:

Its all about re-use.  they now have a dozen different cabs on basically the same chassis.  just like the OG ford f150 and blazing blazer...  instead of creating a real truck chassis, they put them on the same chassis as the sand scorcher

• Like 2

Got the panels cut out, just roughly at this stage before the sanding, filing, gluing and adjusting starts. Offered them up to the cab just to see what it looks like and am very happy B).

20230218_182558.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all, after a bit of a break I got a bit more done this weekend with the grille vacuum formed and primed. Still a bit rough and need gaps filled and sanded etc....but it's getting there. 

Gotta vacuum form a bumper next and then get on with shortening the chassis rails etc. Getting there little by little. 

I was chatting with Berman on another forum today and realised how long since I've progressed this....what a slacker ;).

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.

Cheers

Kurt

20230625_142406.jpg

• Like 9

Hi all, well the last photocopied paper mock up part is now turned to plastic so a bit of a milestone :)....vacuum formed a KW front  bumper today and then trimmed the white rubber mudflaps to fit. Still gotta add some rivets and other details to the right parts of the bumper, it'll then be reinforced behind and painted in Alclad aluminum. 

Sorry about the budget photo, it's been a wet, cold and dark day here today being the middle of winter and all....bring on Spring...

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone.

20230709_181907.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all, got some time on the KW this weekend. Soldered up some brass side mirrors (well the first one at least) and did some more work on the air cleaners. Shortened the chassis last weekend by 23mm and she looks right now.
Still loads of sellotape holding bits on so please excuse that!
Really want to be ready to paint by Christmas.
Cheers Kurt.

20231023_163612.jpg

• Like 10

Happy 2024 all. Thought it was time for an update....

Did some more work on the KW this morning. Took the bumper off, sanded and finished off a few scale details. Mounted the Mike Lambert mudflaps (finally got rid of the sellotape :)....) and put some faux nuts and bolts on the inside of the mudflaps so they look like they are screwed on..still got some painting and touch ups to do under there.

Doesn't look like there's much happened to it but man, there's been a tonne of sanding and filling, sanding and filling and so on to the bonnet and cab recently.

Next is more work on the cab, (drivers side) followed by side mirrors and paint! I've got a guy designing the decals at the moment so they should look sweet.

Following that, the fuel tanks etc will be next on the list. But by bit, there's less sellotape holding it together!....

Cheers
Kurt

20240112_144320.jpg

• Like 7

Cheers Tim, she's getting there. Slowly but surely.

Is it wrong that I'm already thinking about what to build after this ones done :P:blink:....I'm thinking International s-line....just to keep the KW and Scania company of course..

Nmp below.

FB_IMG_1705090468522.jpg

• Like 2

Not wrong at all.  The two trucks i have built made me get another.  I now have a new globe liner waiting to be built.  Before i start on that I need to find a trailer for it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Cheers Tim, she's getting there. Slowly but surely.

Is it wrong that I'm already thinking about what to build after this ones done :P:blink:....I'm thinking International s-line....just to keep the KW and Scania company of course..

Nmp below.

A plastic model company that went by the name of Ertl made a 1/25 scale s-series f-2575 that i had as a kid.  I thought it was a great looking truck.

IH2575.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt, everyone's correct. Each picture is a new benchmark!! Well done so far my friend! 

By the time I get back to my builds (which BTW is soon, now that we're in our new apartment, and I have a dedicated Modeling Room!)..... 

What I finally put out will maybe elicit the reaction:

oh, you built a truck 

Seriously though, stellar work! 👌 

7 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

A plastic model company that went by the name of Ertl made a 1/25 scale s-series f-2575 that i had as a kid.  I thought it was a great looking truck.

IH2575.jpg

@tim.senecal thanks mate, yeah I reckon it's a good looking truck too. Kinda tough looking. Interestingly I've yet to see anyone model one in 1:14 scale rc. I reckon it would make a nice subject to model.

I'll have to start keeping one eye out for a kit set such as the one you've posted as I'll most likely scale up from a static kit again as this has worked for me so far....gotta have our projects/plans don't we :)

4 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Kurt, everyone's correct. Each picture is a new benchmark!! Well done so far my friend! 

By the time I get back to my builds (which BTW is soon, now that we're in our new apartment, and I have a dedicated Modeling Room!)..... 

What I finally put out will maybe elicit the reaction:

oh, you built a truck 

Seriously though, stellar work! 👌 

@Carmine A cheers mate. You have a dedicated modelling room!...niiiiice. I'd love to have that option. Pics of this workplace please so I can drool about it :D.

Mate, I'm sure your truck will be awesome too and I look forward to seeing  it.

Cheers

Kurt

Still moving in, but here's a  peak at the "project list"....

IMG_20240115_021551.jpg.6d4634612f9844658e2e61e78d54e01f.jpg

IMG_20240115_021933.jpg.64114919a63c04a8c0d91a7e164e6963.jpg

• Like 2