zappto

Tamiya Hilux battery.

Hello all, this is first time i got Tamiya battery 6V-4000mA. It is battery for Hilux, it is very old as i know, i did try it, it spins the motor. So now i want to charge it properly, but i do have only 7.2v quick charger 1200C.

Can i charge using this charger? I noticed conectors do not fit properly. Do i need to get 6v charger?

Might you have any info, thank you!

A 7.2v charger (especially a "dumb" one) might overcharge a 6V battery.

Get a modern charger with a display, most have a NiMH/NiCd mode and will use a peak charge algorithm, this is the best way to care for the battery.

You're lucky the original battery has survived this long so treat it with care!

• Like 2

The original battery had a slightly larger clip to the normal Tamiya 7.2v of smaller 6v batteries so you might need an adapter to connect it to a modern charger . You could change the battery clip to a more modern one and change the speed controller clip to match

Image 1 - Tamiya 6V 4000mah Ni-Cd Battery New Boxed Vintage Hilux 4x4 Blazing Blazer RARE

Image 41 - Tamiya 6V 4000mah Ni-Cd Battery New Boxed Vintage Hilux 4x4 Blazing Blazer RARE

• Like 1

Hello, i found old tamiya NI-CD quick charger, 6v. I will make adapter to make it work, thank you for your answer!

Helped a lot. Hope this battery have life left after 40 years.lol.

You don't "need" one of those chargers. In fact there are many far better chargers out there for this battery.

What you do need is a compatible connector, maybe that is more challenging to find.

• Like 3

Tamiya designed a specific charger for the 6v 4000 MaH pack 

They had to because they stacked the cells to suit the Hi Lux / Blazer battery bay - not efficient charging - so it needed a modest trickle to avoid cooking the pack 

The pic attached shows what you’ll need but @sosidge is right re taking care 

The 6v connectors also aren’t common and would either need soldering to a modern balance charger cable before use or use of an adapter with transfer loss - noting even clever kit  will struggle to work out what Tamiya did, so (at best) you’ll end up with a half / three quarter run 

To be fair, that’s v good for a 40 year old battery … but brave to try ! 

I use mine purely for display + drop in suitably dialled back modern packs for dry day runs 👍

E123FC9B-7BE3-42FF-8C7C-DA45D9F32A85.jpeg

• Like 1