moffman

Is this just another rumour???

On 12/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, Sir Crashalot said:

No slipper, it was a "gear protector". The gears were 0.8 Mod, or 32p.

stacks-image-17cc50f-4891.jpg.6bcb9bdecb31dacac7ddccab92539282.jpg

The gears were 0.6 Mod on the Mid. Which is very close to 48dp. The Hobbyshop listing says the new re-re will have 48dp gears.

4 hours ago, Yalson said:

The gears were 0.6 Mod on the Mid. Which is very close to 48dp. 

I should have said the internal gears. The internal gears were 0.8 Mod, the spur was 0.6 Mod.

• Like 1

Ah, ok. Then the one I had must have had an aftermarket spur gear, because it was definitely 48 pitch. And white, I think...?

9 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Ah, ok. Then the one I had must have had an aftermarket spur gear, because it was definitely 48 pitch. And white, I think...?

Standard gears were all black with a smaller yellow one for the belt. This was on the turbo version but doubt there was a difference with the gears in the standard Mid. 

On 12/21/2021 at 2:45 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Standard gears were all black with a smaller yellow one for the belt. This was on the turbo version but doubt there was a difference with the gears in the standard Mid. 

In my experience the standard internal gears on the Mid were all black, as @Tamiyastef suggests. None of them had white 48dp spurs as far as I am aware. After the Optima Pro, all Kyosho race cars had 0.6 Mod external gears up until, I believe, the Lazer ZX-R. I have read that some of these were sold with 0.6 Mod gears and some with 48dp, presumably with the latter in the US as it is an Imperial measurement, while 0.6 Mod is metric. Obviously any of them could have been regeared later with different size and/or pitch gears. I had a Mid and an Ultima that ran on 64dp gears, for example, which made them lovely and smooth but rather liable to chewing up spur gears. The similarity in pitch between 0.6 Mod and 48dp also meant that owners and workers in LHSs frequently mistook one for the other, with occasionally disastrous consequences.

My LHS (in Belgium) contacted me about my pre-order. They received answer from Kyosho and the Mid is definitely coming, normally at the end of March 2022 but they couldn't give a price to my LHS yet! I think the rere of the Mid was not intended to be known already. 

Kyosho teasing the Mid now. Very probably just lighting but the body looks unusually curvy compared to the original. Not a chance they changed the design though.

Confirmation too that the original OT-66 tyres have been jettisoned for more modern variants.

FB_IMG_1641754036636.jpg

• Like 3

I think its going the same way as the turbo optima probably changes for the modern motors and batteries but 98% mid?

52 minutes ago, moffman said:

I think its going the same way as the turbo optima probably changes for the modern motors and batteries but 98% mid?

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/teaser-2022-kyosho-optima-mid-4wd-buggy-kit/

Seems to be getting the anti-roll bars and countersunk chassis that were part of the package for the original Turbo Mid, so no idea how that will affect a possible re-re Turbo. Also seems to be getting a belt tensioner. The original didnt have that feature.

The A-arms have build in sway bar mounts but I don't think the sway bars come standard with the new Mid. Hope I'm wrong. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

The A-arms have build in sway bar mounts but I don't think the sway bars come standard with the new Mid. Hope I'm wrong. :D

Yeah that could be it, paving the way for the Turbo to have sway bars as standard.

• Like 1

Great this car is re re-ed. Surprised to see no belt cover is added. Even with belt cover my TOMSE bitd  suffered from sand in the gearboxes.

28 minutes ago, Boomerang89 said:

Great this car is re re-ed. Surprised to see no belt cover is added. Even with belt cover my TOMSE bitd  suffered from sand in the gearboxes.

I believe the picture is of an original mid missing some bits. (like the belt cover) 

I cut small strips of electrician's tape to cover the edges of the belt cover on my turbo Optima mid BITD, never had dust in my gearboxes. 

Think the orignal instruction was to use some kind of loc-tite/glue to seal the covers. Making removal difficult. Happy to hear you had no issues, tried with tape as well but also kept that rubber part that would enclose the top cover at the bottom side at the rear gearbox. Maybe that one was the culprit.

I used liquid tread lock first but when I realised that wasn't working (obviously) I used the tape. Taping that rubber piece was the most fiddly together with the transition between the belt cover and the rear gearbox on the bottom plate. I hope they "engineered" a better solution for this rere :D

• Like 1

I also wonder whether the re re Optima/Ultima optional ball diffs will work in this re re?

I had a Mid SE, and it used double-sided tape to seal the belt covers to the lower and upper chassis plates.  As for glue, changing belts or replacing a damaged chassis was a pain, but in years of running, never had any major issues with dirt intrusion into the gearboxes.

6 hours ago, Mrowka said:

I also wonder whether the re re Optima/Ultima optional ball diffs will work in this re re?

Most likely as it would save them money on development/production 

Man. Guess I have to wait a couple of years for a re-re Lazer ZX🤣

Is there two or just one with different decals? Eather way it's the one I've been waiting for!

Really nice they kept the original wheel design of the Mid and not just put the turbo Optima wheels on this. Are you listening Tamiya?