moffman

Is this just another rumour???

38 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

As this re-re mid already has a chassis plate with csk screws, turbo optima gold threaded body dampers and likely the same slipper from the re re optima / javelin - aside from the stabilizer bars is there anything else it would need to make it a Turbo Mid?

As I remember correctly my Turbo had lightweight FRP shock towers and the bridge over the motor was in the same material were for the normal Mid those were in aluminium. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I have no opinion on those who choose to keep them in kit form or on the shelf, it just isn't really me. Maybe one day I'll have a shelfer but only reason I'd have a car in its box is because I haven't got round to building it yet!

Slight irony in that if they weren't designed with performance in mind they presumably wouldn't be desirible in the box or on the shelf either. 

I don't judge. If one finds pleasure in NIB, shelfers or in abbusing RC'S I'm perfectly OK with that. It's just not for me. I tried it all and now know for me the pleasure is in building and driving. I only meant you captured perfectly what RC is all about for me personally.  Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. 

• Like 1

Preordered mine today from the LHS.  Super excited for the release.  Really hoping the supply issues with basically everything don’t cause any delays but time will tell I guess.

Holy moly canoly Batman !!!

I guess ill skip thunder dragon and thunder shot for this one.

8 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I don't judge. If one finds pleasure in NIB, shelfers or in abbusing RC'S I'm perfectly OK with that. It's just not for me. I tried it all and now know for me the pleasure is in building and driving. I only meant you captured perfectly what RC is all about for me personally.  Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. 

Sorry. Just meant to clarify/expand. I'm right there with you. 

Anyhow, looking forward to its arrival - roll on [April?]... 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Superluminal said:

As this re-re mid already has a chassis plate with csk screws, turbo optima gold threaded body dampers and likely the same slipper from the re re optima / javelin - aside from the stabilizer bars is there anything else it would need to make it a Turbo Mid?

The new hop up parts are carbon fibre shock towers and motor brace and this standard kit does not come with those. Nor does it have the turnbuckles or ARBs. So a Turbo Mid re-release could come with those as standard. They could also anodise the chassis like they did with the original Turbo.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The new hop up parts are carbon fibre shock towers and motor brace and this standard kit does not come with those. Nor does it have the turnbuckles or ARBs. So a Turbo Mid re-release could come with those as standard. They could also anodise the chassis like they did with the original Turbo.

Are these option parts available now or likely to be easily available when the kit is on the shelves? 

4 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Are these option parts available now or likely to be easily available when the kit is on the shelves? 

If previous Legendary Series releases are anything to go by then the hop-up parts should be available at the same time as when the kit comes out. Kyosho Europe have already started listing spare parts but don’t think any of the Option parts are amongst them….yet. 

https://uk.kyoshoeurope.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=optima+mid

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

Yes indeed I forgot the turnbuckles. ARB's?

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Yes indeed I forgot the turnbuckles. ARB's?

This standard re-re kit does not come with the actual ARBs, but comes with the arms with the hole to fit them. So it's fair to say that there will be an ARB hop-up part for this kit. And that leads me to think that they will either bring back the Turbo and/or the Turbo SE with the ARBs as standard. 

29 minutes ago, Wandy said:

This standard re-re kit does not come with the actual ARBs, but comes with the arms with the hole to fit them. So it's fair to say that there will be an ARB hop-up part for this kit. And that leads me to think that they will either bring back the Turbo and/or the Turbo SE with the ARBs as standard. 

And ARB stands for?

4 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

And ARB stands for?

Anti-Roll Bar.

The original standard Mid didn't have them but the Turbo & Turbo SE did.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, Wandy said:

Vid of the new Mid at the Kyosho fair...

Need them to do a re-release of the Ultima RB GP. I’ve got 99% of my original but the nitro engine and body are knackered…

So a question for everyone, as I'm kind of thinking about maybe getting one of these. Having downloaded a manual for original Optima Mid, there was an idler gear between the spur gear shaft and and the diff casing gear, to transmit motor power from the spur gear shaft to the diff gear by gear drive as well as belt. However in the new system this seems to have been removed and the belt tensioner installed, which would mean that although the belt has a better contact patch on the spur gear shaft and rear diff gear, it now has to transmit all the power from the motor.  I'm thinking that this might be a reliability issue maybe ? BITD the CAT and PB Ace used 2 extra belts to get the power to the rear diff, and on the old mid you had the partial gear drive to take some of the strain off the belt.

So has belt tech moved on in the last 35 years enough so that 1 belt can handle brushless power, or should I take a second look at the rear engine Optima re-re ?

50 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

So a question for everyone, as I'm kind of thinking about maybe getting one of these. Having downloaded a manual for original Optima Mid, there was an idler gear between the spur gear shaft and and the diff casing gear, to transmit motor power from the spur gear shaft to the diff gear by gear drive as well as belt. However in the new system this seems to have been removed and the belt tensioner installed, which would mean that although the belt has a better contact patch on the spur gear shaft and rear diff gear, it now has to transmit all the power from the motor.  I'm thinking that this might be a reliability issue maybe ? BITD the CAT and PB Ace used 2 extra belts to get the power to the rear diff, and on the old mid you had the partial gear drive to take some of the strain off the belt.

So has belt tech moved on in the last 35 years enough so that 1 belt can handle brushless power, or should I take a second look at the rear engine Optima re-re ?

I'm really curious were you saw the idler gear has been replaced by the belt tensioner. Do you have a picture that shows this?

I don't know about belt tech right now but I had a SPA 240 WS in my original turbo mid since 1989 and used it intensively for at least 3 years without having any issues with the belt. No stretching, no significant wear. 

It only had to transfer the power from the back to the front and not from the spur shaft to the back and front as it would have to do in the configuration with the belt tensioner replacing the idler gear.

Not really worried as I have faith in Kyosho quality. Hope they don't prove me wrong with the most desirable rerelease for me 😀

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

They build car engines with cam belts, I am pretty sure they can build a 1/10 buggy belt drive that will hold together. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I'm really curious were you saw the idler gear has been replaced by the belt tensioner. Do you have a picture that shows this?

I don't know about belt tech right now but I had a SPA 240 WS in my original turbo mid since 1989 and used it intensively for at least 3 years without having any issues with the belt. No stretching, no significant wear. 

It only had to transfer the power from the back to the front and not from the spur shaft to the back and front as it would have to do in the configuration with the belt tensioner replacing the idler gear.

Not really worried as I have faith in Kyosho quality. Hope they don't prove me wrong with the most desirable rerelease for me 😀

It's in a lot of the released publicity shots showing the right hand side gear casing removed to show off the new belt tensioner fitted. It's slap bang where the idler gear would be. I think it's viewable on the photos of the Mid on Modelsports website, just go through all the pictures related to the model on there.

Kyosho Optima Mid 2022 30622 (modelsport.co.uk)

I can see gear teeth on the diff housing, and a gear on the spur gear shaft, but no idler gear .........

• Thanks 1

Okay, I saw the tensioner now. My eyesight has deteriorated more than I would like to admit...

If it's not to drive the idler what could be the function of the middle gear on this spur shaft?

Screenshot_20220205-230534_Samsung Internet.jpg

I saw a similar question on RC10 Talk about the idler space being gone and it has made me interested in what they did to compensate.  The rear motor cars have a gear that hangs off of a post bolted to the motor plate.  Wonder if they have done similar here?  Certainly hope whatever option the came up with is thoroughly tested!

Optima ReRe:

0B5E0132-29CF-47E4-B989-53566BD1FC95.jpeg

I watched a video last night that had showed what looked like optional parts for the Mid on it (Taken at a hobby show) that showed what looked like a plastic idler gear, put it looked very narrow. I can only think that it's fitted to the inside of the right hand side rear gear casing, but it does seem a bit 'iffy' supporting something that transmits power on only one side. As @tamiya3speed suggested, perhaps there will be a shaft to attach to the motor plate that will be rigid. I look forward to seeing the details of what they've done. 

I've only ever owned one belt drive car (PB Ace) and so would like to have another go with one. The original Optima Turbo was very tempting as I kind of looked at it as a 4wd Ultima, but the Mid is such a cleaner design that I'm very tempted by it, but I think for now I'll wait on making a decision until more detail comes out (Like maybe a release of the manual). Plus £400 is a lot to chuck at one car, especially when I have several buggies already.

The tensioner location is definitely very interesting...  My original Mid (SE) was, aside from the awful platinum shocks, bulletproof.  Ran everything from the original stock 240ST all the way to a 13x2 modified (Trinity King Kong) and never once had an issue with the driveline (broke MANY front A-arms, though).  I have every confidence that whatever Kyosho has cooked up here, it'll be just fine...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Okay, I saw the tensioner now. My eyesight has deteriorated more than I would like to admit...

If it's not to drive the idler what could be the function of the middle gear on this spur shaft?

Screenshot_20220205-230534_Samsung Internet.jpg

My SWAG is that one gear is from the pinion,  one for the drive belt,  one for the rear differential.