moffman

Is this just another rumour???

For those of us located in the states, I reached out to Kyosho America regarding the Mid and received the following response. Seems like the delay is still due to the ports/supply chain which is not too surprising. We'll get them in time, and it is exciting seeing our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world receiving theirs :)

Hello,

I am sorry, I'm trying not to update our site until they are actually in a container on the way, which could take about a month or so once it leaves.
The port here has been really bad. Our"scheduled" delivery has already past.
Some of the other distribution in other countries use air freight.

We are also moving our operations at the moment as well.

Thank you and sorry for the delay.

Sincerely,
Kyosho America

2 hours ago, JamesM3081 said:

For those of us located in the states, I reached out to Kyosho America regarding the Mid and received the following response. Seems like the delay is still due to the ports/supply chain which is not too surprising. We'll get them in time, and it is exciting seeing our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world receiving theirs :)

Hello,

I am sorry, I'm trying not to update our site until they are actually in a container on the way, which could take about a month or so once it leaves.
The port here has been really bad. Our"scheduled" delivery has already past.
Some of the other distribution in other countries use air freight.

We are also moving our operations at the moment as well.

Thank you and sorry for the delay.

Sincerely,
Kyosho America

Us in the UK are probably getting them at the same time as you guys! At the end of April but more than likely the beginning to middle of may!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, moffman said:

Us in the UK are probably getting them at the same time as you guys! At the end of April but more than likely the beginning to middle of may!

I'll be glad if I get mine here in Belgium before the end of May. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I'll be glad if I get mine here in Belgium before the end of May. 

Oh really? I feel your pain mate😥 if that turn out to be right!, Fingers crossed🤞 they all turn up sooner!

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:18 PM, Tamiyastef said:

@Killajb When you start opening things up would you mind measuring the thickness of the chassis plate? I'm curious if it's the 2mm or the 2.3mm the turbo had BITD. Don't think it's mentioned on the box.

Chassis thickness is 2mm

OptimaMidChassisThickness.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:14 PM, tamiya3speed said:

Post a pic of the rear gearbox setup from the manual if you could please!.  I am curious how they install the idler gear since it looks like the new tensioner occupies that space.

1648892205137 (1).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killajb said:

1648892205137 (1).jpg

Lovely thanks!  So looks like the idler mounts directly to the case. I was expecting a metal post or something like that.  Heck of a lot of reinforcement molded in at that spot it looks like.at least!  

• Like 2

Finally managed to get on the phone with my LHS guy, found out he DID pre-order one for me!! Yay! He is so awesome :D😅

• Like 2

Hello All,

Build is done (box art paint will follow).  For those who have had the pleasure of building any of Kyosho's Legendary series offerings, this doesn't disappoint. 

For anyone who needs elaboration, the build itself went very smoothly.  Most of the parts for each phase of the build are in itemized bags, with only a few plastic parts located on parts trees (which can also be easily located).  No searching the entire kit for a weird -looking piece or stall in your build due to obscure instructions.  The parts themselves fit beautifully.  Screws that went into plastic had a solid feel when completely tight, machine screws into metal fit like a charm.  Top class experience, building that chassis (as was the Turbo Optima) and I enjoyed every minute of it.  

Installing the electronics was a bit of a struggle (for me).  I will only reflect on my personal experience rather than knock Kyosho at all on this.  I chose a G Force TS120 esc, a Tamiya TBLM 10.5 motor and a Savox SC-1251MG servo.  Servo went in just fine.  TBLM motor was also no problem.  My issue was trying to find space for the esc and routing the wires in such a way that the body will fit properly.  Again, I'll take this upon myself.  I'm sure those with better modeling skills won't find it to be such a challenge.  In the end, I got everything situated and the body fits without any interference.

My second (and final) issue is with trimming the body itself.  Most of it is simple, but I was challenged by two issues:  The small slots where the body is held with body pins..  they are very  small and I had to scratch the basic shape out with a hobby knife and then poke out the piece of lexan once it was free enough to budge.  A round shape that can be done with simple body reamer would be nice..    Also, there's a section of the body with very sharp curves near the spur gear cover that is quite a challenge.  What makes this worse, the instructions show the opposite side of the body and don't detail the more difficult part that needs to be cut.  Well..  I managed to get past that as well and then cleaned up all the edges with a rotary tool.  Any seemingly jagged edges in the photos are actually the overspray film on the edge that was tattered during the process.

I'm waiting for an extra rx to arrive in a week or so, and I'll finish painting the body and applying decals before driving.  

TurboOptimaMid3.jpg

TurboOptimaMid5.jpg

TurboOptimaMid4.jpg

• Like 14

Brushless combo do seem to have an Achilles heel when it comes to fitting them to re-release cars/buggies because the wires are just to unforgiving I don't think I've ever built a re-release and had a straight forward job in fitting brushless motors or combos I just generally use brushed motors/esc that are lipo compatible so you get a good punch of power and long run times!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moffman said:

Brushless combo do seem to have an Achilles heel when it comes to fitting them to re-release cars/buggies because the wires are just to unforgiving I don't think I've ever built a re-release and had a straight forward job in fitting brushless motors or combos I just generally use brushed motors/esc that are lipo compatible so you get a good punch of power and long run times!

Agreed..   I hadn't taken a moment to consider that these cars were designed long before sensored brushless motors were a thing.  That said, I had a challenge to install a brushless combo in my Super Avante as well, but we got that done too.  I actually went to purchase Kyosho's esc after my initial struggles to get the esc I purchased in there, but then I realized that Kyosho's esc as a 13.5T motor limit (which would mean I have to get another motor as well since I purchased a 10.5T motor) and the little "party trick" that enables Kyosho's esc to fit is that it has threaded holes in it's aluminum heatsink case that you can use to attach it to the chassis with screws. >>Therefore, not making a big deal about the esc slightly "hanging" off of the chassis.  My workaround to this was to anchor the esc's 12 gauge motor wires to the chassis top plate underneath shrink tubing and plastic loom and then double-sided tape underneath.  The plastic wire loom also bundles the wires into a shape that fits underneath the body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Mid was always a tight squeeze fitting everything in. You should have seen the original with an MSC! Wires everywhere.

I'm still on the fence about this one. I don't NEED one, but that doesn't mean I won't end up with one eventually.

12 hours ago, Killajb said:

Agreed..   I hadn't taken a moment to consider that these cars were designed long before sensored brushless motors were a thing.  That said, I had a challenge to install a brushless combo in my Super Avante as well, but we got that done too.  I actually went to purchase Kyosho's esc after my initial struggles to get the esc I purchased in there, but then I realized that Kyosho's esc as a 13.5T motor limit (which would mean I have to get another motor as well since I purchased a 10.5T motor) and the little "party trick" that enables Kyosho's esc to fit is that it has threaded holes in it's aluminum heatsink case that you can use to attach it to the chassis with screws. >>Therefore, not making a big deal about the esc slightly "hanging" off of the chassis.  My workaround to this was to anchor the esc's 12 gauge motor wires to the chassis top plate underneath shrink tubing and plastic loom and then double-sided tape underneath.  The plastic wire loom also bundles the wires into a shape that fits underneath the body.

Oh mate I thought it was just me with fitting a brushless combo into a super avante I just give up at the end:blink: (half a day of my life I won't get back) and its tamiya's latest 4wd buggy! 

20220313_122532.jpg

@moffman it can be done, and the result is quite worth the hassle.  At first I thought I would "settle" with a Tamiya TBLM motor but as mentioned before, it's quite good.

SuperAvanteFullRight.jpg

• Thanks 1

Someday Tower will have these in stock...someday....maybe.....I hope...

• Haha 1

To answer the OP, until it ships, it's still vaporware as far as I am concerned. 

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Someday Tower will have these in stock...someday....maybe.....I hope...

I check every day...and every day I am disappointed...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FromageTheDog said:

I check every day...and every day I am disappointed...

Yeah, I get tired of seeing the original Optima and Turbo Optima (both seemingly perpetually on backorder) come up in my quick search, but no Mid :(.

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Yeah, I get tired of seeing the original Optima and Turbo Optima (both seemingly perpetually on backorder) come up in my quick search, but no Mid :(.

2 weeks ago tower had the turbo optima in stock. They were gone by the next day. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

2 weeks ago tower had the turbo optima in stock. They were gone by the next day. 

I thought I saw that! I was thinking I imagined it for how quick it disappeared, lol.

• Like 1

Well.. if it's any consolation to folks back in the states, I checked every day on the LHS website here in Japan for this release for two months and found nothing, no info, zilch, nada..  and then one day I see it and it's listed as "sold out".  I put my name on the waiting list anyway and one popped up in stock luckily 5 minutes later.  Then?  Listed as "sold out again".   I've been looking out for all the hop-up parts since this thing arrived last week...  nothing, zilch, nadd-  oh last Friday they show up on the website  and "sold out".  The games we play..

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I thought I saw that! I was thinking I imagined it for how quick it disappeared, lol.

Yea it definitely was in stock, i was checking myself everyday to preorder the mid and also checking to see if tower would ever list the unpainted 2022 astute kit. I finally gave up when they listed the painted kit as coming june 2022. 

• Like 1

Mine is being delivered today. Delivery in 3 working days from Hong Kong too. 😎😎

On 4/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, Rb4276 said:

I've just been browsing at kyosho parts (still ridiculously expensive) and noticed that the turbo optima is still readily available in the UK! I don't know if it's still viable to order from the UK from around the globe after boris Johnson's "excellent" let's leave the biggest trading block in the world and go it alone idea? 

• Haha 1