moffman

Is this just another rumour???

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

Stella even sent my bonus parts in their own box. :)

Double wow! Now I’m jealous - Stella’s Stellar service as always. 

Sweet, thanks for confirming factory round-sealed everything then bonus was separate added afterwards  

I suspect oz distributor opened every kit to insert the bonus pack before sending to LHSes. Started applying sticker to box lid early on then gave up halfway thru :rolleyes::lol:

For the TowerHobbies folks, it is now listed and available for preorder(no shipment date). Make sure you don't forget the coupon code. Price is pretty good after the coupon and super saver club rewards if you have any. If you had $10+, you can use the $80 coupon code.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/110-optima-mid-vintage-4wd-racing-buggy-kit/KYO30622.html

Now to sit back and wait for it...

TH_OptimaMID2022.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And.....Pre-ordered! Finally, light at the end of the tunnel (or an oncoming train). Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

And.....Pre-ordered! Finally, light at the end of the tunnel (or an oncoming train). Thanks for the heads up.

Fantastic and no problem...we're all in this together

• Like 1

Well hopefully because you guys over in the USA can now order it this could mean its finally going to turn up..........I can't cope with anymore release dates! 

It's been available for pre-order on Amain since Mid February. Still no word. 

#wetblanket

3 hours ago, moffman said:

Well hopefully because you guys over in the USA can now order it this could mean its finally going to turn up..........I can't cope with anymore release dates! 

turning up (eventually) wasn’t the issue, the real drama will be # of units arriving <_<

Dunno if Amain/Tower are “only” preselling actual units they’ve been allocated or blindly taking $$$ for some arbitrary unlimited #. (Think there’s ample past history they’ve done latter for some recent high-demand kits?)

Downunder we’ve had some LHS presell eg a dozen or 3 units each on Day 1 of announcement in Feb 2022, they’ve all “soldout” by Day 2 too. 

Come May 2022 when first batch arrive... some LHS only get 1 (yeah One :lol:) kit, others only 2/3/4 and the max I’ve heard so far is 8 units to one larger/influential LHS. 

Even if you get 2 cartons, that ain’t gunna cover his coupla dozen presolds :ph34r: leaving him with a fair few annoyed unfulfilled prebuyers. 

Latest whispers thru supply chain is that we’ll not see another lot until earliest Sept or 2023. 

1 hour ago, tamiya3speed said:

Yay! Thanks t3s

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Me too.  Now I've got two buggies ordered.  Wild One is still in backorder purgatory...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Dunno if Amain/Tower are “only” preselling actual units they’ve been allocated or blindly taking $$$ for some arbitrary unlimited #. (Think there’s ample past history they’ve done latter for some recent high-demand kits?)

Well, TH does not charge your CC until your item(s) are dispatched so they are not really "blindly taking money". Their pre-orders/backorder policies can be found in the link below(scroll towards the bottom). Basically first come, first serve so if you don't make the cut, then you never get charged.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/why-shop-tower.html

Amain on the other hand does charge in full at the time of order, which is why I usually wait for TH to have their listings up. I can't speak to LHS here since they are going the way of the dodo.

Ultimately, I'm grateful that we all have the opportunity to acquire these amazing kits again and I don't have to nag my parents this time around...just the wife 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:00 PM, JamesM3081 said:

Amain on the other hand does charge in full at the time of order, which is why I usually wait for TH to have their listings up. I can't speak to LHS here since they are going the way of the dodo.

Ultimately, I'm grateful that we all have the opportunity to acquire these amazing kits again and I don't have to nag my parents this time around...just the wife 

Same here for the same reasons. I know Tower was considered evil to LHS's based on their size and pricing power back in the 80's, but in the internet age, they've treated me well. IIRC, I was never happy with Amain's privacy policy either (unless they've changed it) and they've never sold me something they didn't actually have, despite showing stock, (like another popular online store..RCMart) only to email the next day trying to offer me store credit. I did get a little wife nag this time too..."I thought you said the last kit you bought was your last...."

• Like 1

I'd appreciate it if you guys could talk me off the ledge, as I'm finding it hard to resist ordering some Mids. Is there a ton of difference between this and the Optima rere from a few years back? More importantly, any differences I will appreciate as I totter along on my homemade track? Reason tells me my Optima rere (and the four unbuilt ones,) will do, but the Mid looks SO good. 

I just added a futaba s3004 servo and got over the $400 hump to use the coupon and $15 in rewards.  If the coupon code doesn't work for you (it didn't let me add it) then just email them and they'll fix it.  They are good like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

I'd appreciate it if you guys could talk me off the ledge, as I'm finding it hard to resist ordering some Mids. Is there a ton of difference between this and the Optima rere from a few years back? More importantly, any differences I will appreciate as I totter along on my homemade track? Reason tells me my Optima rere (and the four unbuilt ones,) will do, but the Mid looks SO good. 

The mid is quite a departure from the Optima.  While there are some carryovers -- I believe bits like the A-arms, steering knuckles, gold shocks -- the architecture is completely different; far more efficient transmission, longer suspension travel, mid-mounted motor, etc. etc.  There's definitely a generational difference between the two.  This is not an "evolution," the way the Turbo Optima was to the Optima.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FromageTheDog said:

The mid is quite a departure from the Optima.  While there are some carryovers -- I believe bits like the A-arms, steering knuckles, gold shocks -- the architecture is completely different; far more efficient transmission, longer suspension travel, mid-mounted motor, etc. etc.  There's definitely a generational difference between the two.  This is not an "evolution," the way the Turbo Optima was to the Optima.

Thanks, that settles it -Mid is needed. 
Cheers! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 12:11 AM, tamiya3speed said:

Has anyone looked at the rear gearbox assembly yet, where it's been modified to get the belt tensioner in there ?

The idler gear between the counter gear and the diff gear runs on 1 1260 bearing, on plastic, plastic !!! shaft. :unsure: Any wobble in that single bearing (and they do have wobble) is going to translate into a less than perfect tooth alignment.  And funny old thing, there's an option for a heavy duty replacement gear in the corner of the page.

Now I'm thinking that if I'm going to get an Optima it will be a rear engined Turbo Optima rather than one of these. Shame for me, but one more for someone else to enjoy.

6 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Has anyone looked at the rear gearbox assembly yet, where it's been modified to get the belt tensioner in there ?

The idler gear between the counter gear and the diff gear runs on 1 1260 bearing, on plastic, plastic !!! shaft. :unsure: Any wobble in that single bearing (and they do have wobble) is going to translate into a less than perfect tooth alignment.  And funny old thing, there's an option for a heavy duty replacement gear in the corner of the page.

Now I'm thinking that if I'm going to get an Optima it will be a rear engined Turbo Optima rather than one of these. Shame for me, but one more for someone else to enjoy.

Yeah, I am worried about that myself.  Guess they were thinking that since the gear rides between the top shaft and diff gear that that will eliminate any potential runout or side loads?  Doesn’t seem right to me but Time will tell once these actually make it out in the world.  May be able to countersink a screw and aluminum standoff from the outside in worst case to give it a more solid base.

Now I'm thinking that if I'm going to get an Optima it will be a rear engined Turbo Optima

That's still a great build/buggy, even if less "advanced" in the timeline. I have two Optimas but I'm still drawn to that Turbo version with all the beautiful Option House gold parts in the kit. 

Yes I have and I don't really see a problem in the near future. I have been building, restoring, running, using and abusing kits from various manufacturers and to be honest if this Mid rerelease would have a design flaw that really becomes a problem with use, this would be a first for Kyosho in my experience. While from other manufacturers I don't even start the build without the necessary hop ups or options. And with necessary I mean not building from the start with these, will cause problems and rather sooner than later.

But I'm absolutely biased as I drove and bashed my Mid turbo as a teen without any precaution and without experiencing any problems. At the same time my nephew drove his Avante with the same motor and a better esc and experiencing problems on a regular basis. Broken suspension arms, center diff working loose, multiple broken front uprights,... and they all ended his day of driving untill they got replaced or repaired.

20170901_230639.jpg

Time will tell if my confidence in the Kyosho design departement is justified or not. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say and I hope I can taste the rere Mid pudding very soon :D

• Like 4

Yeah even though it seems like an odd compromise, i suspect the design change was tested well.  If not, I am willing to bet somebody will come up with a good alternative setup.

12 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Can confirm the gearbox assembly is stout.  10.5 brushless power is no problem while thrashing about. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Killajb said:

Can confirm the gearbox assembly is stout.  10.5 brushless power is no problem while thrashing about. 

Even my seven year old has yet to break a Kyosho re re gearbox, and that thrashing a full house 10.5 race motor and esc. 

Spoke with Amain today. 

No word on when the Optima Mid re re will arrive. :( The story is that the delay is the result of Kyosho "changing warehouses".

Seems odd, but I was told the same thing a month ago, so at least someone has their story straight.