moffman

Is this just another rumour???

Looks like the UK have finally received some of their stock this week. More coming next month apparently.

19 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Whilst we are all impatiently waiting for our 30622s
Here’s some Beaut vids by our good fellow JM aka BorMac

https://youtu.be/9m4dlLvT2BA
https://youtu.be/jh8gVXqKVmQ

Whoa, that's an awesome channel that's flown completely under my radar. Thanks a lot for the heads up @WillyChang!
Seeing the build vid of the Mid has given me several itches to scratch! And makes me even more convinced Tamiya should've given the top force evo the blister-treatment. 

10 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Whoa, that's an awesome channel that's flown completely under my radar. Thanks a lot for the heads up @WillyChang!
Seeing the build vid of the Mid has given me several itches to scratch! And makes me even more convinced Tamiya should've given the top force evo the blister-treatment. 

Looks like some lovely quality in there and some nice engineering touches. I may not get to my build for some time but when I do I will try to appreciate it over many evenings. It looks in a different league to what I've had before (I had a well used optima back in the early '90s but I was not of an age to appreciate it fully, and it wasn't complete either). In fact this will be my first "nostalgic" kit (if that's the right word - to me it doesn't really look to have aged, as such, compared with today's stuff unless performance on carpet and whatnot is your measure; it seems more it's a different thing than today's buggies are simply better).

I've got this funny thing though where I prioritise fixing and minor improvements to our runners over opening anything new, and those are mounting up. And then there's the seasons - I now find myself not naturally inclined to spend evenings in unless it's because I've got chores to do or I'm just wanting to collapse in front of the TV. So I think this one will end up waiting until my motivations have shifted again. That may be no bad thing, but it could be autumn.

It sure is appealing though. This first or XV-01? 

I would say build the XV first and save the Mid for cosy nights when the winter storms are raging. Then you can enjoy quality-time building the Mid. 

16 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

I second that. Super cool channel, thanks a lot!

Just had confirmation mine will be delivered tomorrow! Werhoo, can't wait 😁.. Feels like being 12 again! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grotty Otty said:

Just had confirmation mine will be delivered tomorrow! Werhoo, can't wait 😁.. Feels like being 12 again! 

When my LHS contacts me to let me know my Mid has arrived I will not only feel 12 again but probably also act as a complete overly exited 12 year "old" crazy boy as wel :D.

My really jealous inner child doesn't want to but my adult self makes me say: "Good for you, enjoy your build" :unsure:

Please give us some nice pictures once it's delivered?  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Please give us some nice pictures once it's delivered?  

I shall do my best! 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

Gonna be a glut of pics me thinks! 

Makes me think about Depeche Mode: "just can't get enough"😁

• Haha 1

Look what turned up literally out of the blue today at work of all places! I don't often give customer services 10 out of 10 but I'm giving sc models 20 out of 10 for today because Shaun at sc models is seriously unwell and in hospital and because it's a family run business they have taken the hard decision to close until he his well again hopefully sooner than later! But they are fulfilling their pre-order book as of when whatever stock comes in and to my surprise I gets a phone call from his wife (angie) to inform me this little beauty has turned up and she is going through the pre-order for them to be despatched inbetween looking after the children and obviously Shaun seriously ill because I'm down as local will pick it up she will drop it of as they are not open! 20 minutes later she dropped it off at my place of work:D now that's customer service!!! Especially in the situation the family is in!......get well soon Shaun! We need you behind the counter;)

20220524_201828.jpg

• Like 10

On 12/12/2021 at 9:10 PM, moffman said:

Normally I take things like this with a total pinch of salt but I've been on the delicate side today (alcohol over indulgence related so only myself to blame) and just looking around the internet Instagram etc etc and I keep on coming across articles on kyosho re-releasing the Optima mid in late March 2022??? Has anybody else come across this?

And no, this is not just another rumour :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

And no, this is not just another rumour :D

Yep after 30+ years I have eventually got one:D:D after seeing the very first optima mid when a guy brought one to the local rc club at our school hall/gym and to make things even more envious he also had a Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 with the exact wheels that the optima had I just thought from that day on it was so cool and he had a Sierra xr4i in black:wub:........I had a BMX

20051951-2-medium.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations! @moffman Have you applied for a builders permit and decided on motor, whether to go boxart or not etc?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Congratulations! @moffman Have you applied for a builders permit and decided on motor, whether to go boxart or not etc?  

I applied for the builder's permit back in 1987 when I first seen one! I'm going boxart and have period motor and esc hopefully going to get another body because of the bonus turbo optima mid decals you get in the first batch! The decals in the picture were for a schumacher cat sx2 project which I finished and sold to a collector and he was over the moon with it!

20220317_082112.jpg

• Like 2

Mine arrived today too! 

20220524_230801

Came with a poster. Not sure where I'm going to put that. It's not a Mid one. 

Thinking I too will get a second shell. Got to make use of both sets of decals. I think I will do at least one of them box art. I do like the shell on this - it has that bit of old school realism about it. And that kind of leads me to keep it as per, I think. 

Although I will go (modest I think) brushless and lipo.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, moffman said:

I applied for the builder's permit back in 1987 when I first seen one! I'm going boxart and have period motor and esc hopefully going to get another body because of the bonus turbo optima mid decals you get in the first batch! The decals in the picture were for a schumacher cat sx2 project which I finished and sold to a collector and he was over the moon with it!

20220317_082112.jpg

Great minds think alike.. (or something to that extent..  :rolleyes: more like knock-off copy-cat dude tries..)

Toms480G.jpg

• Like 6

On second shells, given the extra wing and decals come with the kit, do we think this would be any good? 

https://landlmodels.co.uk/collections/10th-buggys-bodies/products/gull-by-frewer-racing-kyosho-optima-mid

There's also Kamtec. More money but comes with undertray and (lexan) wing:

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Products/K0039&Locale=en_GB

I just got a phonecall from my LHS that my Mid has arrived! Will be Monday before I get a chance to pick it up though. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I just got a phonecall from my LHS that my Mid has arrived! Will be Monday before I get a chance to pick it up though. 

Brilliant! get it Monday and then we need to see it:D! I absolutely can't wait to build mine but over the next few weeks I'm at work and definitely don't have the time so all I'm doing is staring at the box I did look at the wheels and I just love the Matt finish on them:wub: just pure quality!

• Like 2