20220530_171329.jpg

An extra wing.

20220530_171830.jpg

And extra decals.

20220530_171618.jpg

Me happy :wub:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hope all these Optima Mids are going to get some good use, and not just spend their lives on a shelf! Mine certainly will....

• Like 1

Mine will sit on a shelf.

To get a bit of rest in between countless runs and outings to remote places :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to see our Euro buddies enjoying their new arrivals! 

Actually built one this week ^_^ been long time since I’ve last built a Kyosho, first Legendary model. 

Smooth build, except...

- blister packing looks good but dayum it’s PITA for building :rolleyes: the blister plastic feels thicker than the body shell!! (Gee... “what if” instead they gave us an Undertray instead of throwaway packaging!!?)

- Machined & molded parts all very nice high quality but imho the FRP plates workmanship is subpar. Edges very rough & splintered, looks like their tool was blunt. 

- steering/saver is too plasticky moldings :blink: including plastic 850 bushings, plastic crosspiece (which compresses quite easily) held by bronze flanged bushings.

- black steel screws felt low rent; e-clips supplied seem to be stamped from soft cheese. (& of 2 minutely different sizes... I swear wrong ones came in the screw bag order)

- no turnbuckles, dogbones all round... guess they’ve stated true to original OM spec there. 

- countersunk chassis welcomed though :) 

On 5/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, moffman said:

hopefully going to get another body because of the bonus turbo optima mid decals you get in the first batch!

But if one buys a OTB250 bodyset, you’ll get another set of stickers :lol:

On 5/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, BuggyDad said:

On second shells, given the extra wing and decals come with the kit, do we think this would be any good? 

https://landlmodels.co.uk/collections/10th-buggys-bodies/products/gull-by-frewer-racing-kyosho-optima-mid

There's also Kamtec. More money but comes with undertray and (lexan) wing:

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.mobile/en_GB/?

Frewer mold is not original K body shape, they were a Kiwi firm that modeled their own unique shells. OE decals won’t work.

Afaik Mid kit shell has been “analogue repopped” by Kamtec, Penguin, TBG. They’d be functional/usable when that’s all we had previously, but now that we’ve got a crisp fresh new Kyosho molding to compare to... (OCD kicks in). 

Ok Whinge time <_< OTB250 looks crazy ex (covid premium?) compared to earlier Optima shells. RRP is JPY5280 vs eg just JPY3520 for OTB248. 

That’s 50% premium!! :o For what? OTB248 is Turbo Optima shellset that’s about same size lexan-wise, also gets 2 sheets of stickers. 

New K owners angel investment firm wanting to claw back their monies? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

I hope all these Optima Mids are going to get some good use, and not just spend their lives on a shelf! Mine certainly will....

I haven't got any shelves. 

😜

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

But if one buys a OTB250 bodyset, you’ll get another set of stickers :lol:

Frewer mold is not original K body shape, they were a Kiwi firm that modeled their own unique shells. OE decals won’t work.

Afaik Mid kit shell has been “analogue repopped” by Kamtec, Penguin, TBG. They’d be functional/usable when that’s all we had previously, but now that we’ve got a crisp fresh new Kyosho molding to compare to... (OCD kicks in). 

Ok Whinge time <_< OTB250 looks crazy ex (covid premium?) compared to earlier Optima shells. RRP is JPY5280 vs eg just JPY3520 for OTB248. 

That’s 50% premium!! :o For what? OTB248 is Turbo Optima shellset that’s about same size lexan-wise, also gets 2 sheets of stickers. 

New K owners angel investment firm wanting to claw back their monies? 

Yeah that's the expensive problem! I'm thinking about a revive rc or equivalent after market one? But that's down the line.

In progress

628E3B29-0A77-4152-A7EC-84D12BD2F967.jpeg.9e9a06df6244c276c2c58f5ed2fb9838.jpeg

I didnt buy any option parts this time, the prices are ridiculous. Whereas I did for my Scorpion and Turbo Optima.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CoolHands said:

didnt buy any option parts this time, the prices are ridiculous

Yup same here! Big bonkers that the front and rear stabilisers are £26! For two bits of wire and plastic supports. Gonna run mine ragged but it'll be a proper whince come part replacement time.. 

3 hours ago, Andreas W said:

Nice, Coolhands. Does it come with front universals? 

Nope. Dogbones all around. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I didn't opt for any hop-up options but I wish sway bars were included with the kit as they were with the Turbo Optima.  They aren't necessary however, and the carbon stuff looks too close to what is already on there (for me) to justify the price. As far as performance it seems to do fine as-is, same with universals..  even adding a bit more steering throw didn't cause any dog bone issues.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Killajb said:

to justify the price

crazy ex! :( 

yesterday dropped in at the L(ish)HS that sourced my MID to see what they had

Swaybars ex & OOS

Uni ex & OOS

”hard” suspension arm... OOS 

Turnbuckles super ex! But in stock yay... nah passed, panda in cheapskate mode ain’t paying $10/stick. They’re Titanium though. 

SWB Mid might be twitchy on long tracks especially if you’re running wide tyres all-round. Our modern tracks today have gone super grippy so gotta tame that nervousness. 

Does anyone know whether UK retailers have any Optima Mid re re kits in stock and ready to ship at the moment?

Or was the first shipment all spoken for and everything backorder.

I am getting tired of waiting for Kyosho USA to get its warehousing act together. 

I’d be curious in the UK how many kits did each LHS receive vs how many they ordered. 

Downunder LHSes had asked for 20-50 units each and only received 2/3/4 kits :blink: with zero ETA for next batch - could be September, could be 2023 is current speculation. 

Did UK shops do preSales against prePayment? Or did they only make a list of customers & called each one when stock appeared. 

Some oz LHS blindly preSold dozens of units back in Feb... smells like they’ve barely fulfilled 1/5-1/4 of those sales to date. 

I assume there are no leftovers :(

My LHS (Belgium) did not get all the pre-ordered ones either...

There's one on Ebay for US $ 906.30 :blink:

• Thanks 1

I just ordered 2 kits from Tamico, they are being shipped to Canada, I canceled my back order as I was not sure when Canadian hobby shops would get them and when I called to ask they had no answer so just purchased from Tamico should be here on Monday. Unfortunately they are sold out now as well, luckily I got 2 kits just in time one for me and one for my son.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

I’d be curious in the UK how many kits did each LHS receive vs how many they ordered. 

Downunder LHSes had asked for 20-50 units each and only received 2/3/4 kits :blink: with zero ETA for next batch - could be September, could be 2023 is current speculation. 

Did UK shops do preSales against prePayment? Or did they only make a list of customers & called each one when stock appeared. 

Some oz LHS blindly preSold dozens of units back in Feb... smells like they’ve barely fulfilled 1/5-1/4 of those sales to date. 

According to Modelsport the next UK batch is due on August 12th.

Would not be surprised if it is a month or two later than that though.

All this scarcity talk is making me nervous here in the states.  I ordered directly from Kyosho through my LHS so hopefully will get at least one.  As of right now I don’t know if any have landed here yet.

It is 100% certain that everyone who wants one of these will get one, eventually. Might have to wait a little while but it will happen.

They are not going to “do a Tamiya” and make them deliberately scarce. The Scorpion is still in production, eight years after it was first released. So they are not going to prematurely halt the production of their hottest re-release to date.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It is 100% certain that everyone who wants one of these will get one, eventually. Might have to wait a little while but it will happen.

They are not going to “do a Tamiya” and make them deliberately scarce. The Scorpion is still in production, eight years after it was first released. So they are not going to prematurely halt the production of their hottest re-release to date.

Absolutely right! I think all the legend series is still in production and some of them have been in production longer than the original ones! Can I just say though it's a superb buggy to build absolutely seamless through the stages although I did have trouble with the front shocks dumped all of the oil through the plastic seal that the shaft goes through:unsure: I re-built them again and don't know what I did different but they are still holding the oil:rolleyes:?

20220603_084040.jpg

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, moffman said:

Absolutely right! I think all the legend series is still in production and some of them have been in production longer than the original ones! Can I just say though it's a superb buggy to build absolutely seamless through the stages although I did have trouble with the front shocks dumped all of the oil through the plastic seal that the shaft goes through:unsure: I re-built them again and don't know what I did different but they are still holding the oil:rolleyes:?

20220603_084040.jpg

Looks superb. Hopefully going to start mine next week. Have you driven it yet? If so what's it like to drive?