moffman

Is this just another rumour???

1 hour ago, Mrowka said:

How does that corner balance?

I ask myself this, every time I see a buggy with the battery placement to one side.

IMG-6537.PNG

IMG-6538.jpg

With a normal sized servo, the balance L/R is 49/51.  I had to switch to low profile servo because of body fitment issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@joeling Nice.   I was optimistic as LiPo is so much lighter than NiMH.  Good job on the corner balancing.  :D 

Okay, so me, FedEx is going to make the delivery today.  Not sure what caused the delay as it was supposed to arrive yesterday.  I am also expecting wheels and universals (3rd party) so shall begin the build on the white Optima MID maybe this coming weekend.  :D 

Second one also included the poster.  B)

IMG_2022-7-25-193257.jpg.87bf6dd859f39ee529fbb24ed6ac0fd0.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2

Installed Gmade bigger bore shocks. Suspension more plush now.

IMG-6836.jpg

IMG-6837.jpg

IMG-6838.jpg

IMG-6840.jpg

IMG-6839.jpg

• Like 8

I am trying to figure out the electronics for my build, and am thinking of an affordable Hobbywing brushless combo.  It looks like there's very little room between the skinny main chassis -which I am going to use- and the upper deck. Does anybody know if a Hobbywing 10BL60 or 10BL120 would fit the car in its normal configuration? 

Also, does a normal servo fit, or is a low profile one needed? 

Thanks a lot

This is going to be a runner oh yes I am sure of it...

IMG-7325.jpg

IMG-7326.jpg

IMG-7327.jpg

Still waiting for the black backing paint to dry on the undertray & bigger Gmade shock though.

IMG-7328.jpg

After 35 years, 2 more babies.

• Like 6

4 x 9 x 2.5mm X 2. Suitable to tighten up that slack if required for LWB conversion

IMG-7514.jpg

• Like 3

Nice collection you got there @joeling!

So I guess I am glad I waited on building my Optima MID’s as now I have the 2 upgraded Kyosho motor plates in order.  :D    It’ll look nicer with my CF decks.

Still no availability on the universals so will just use the 3rd party ones I already have when the time comes.. I will probably start the build late next month when my 1:1 car hobby season ends.

Will do the Optima MID, Turbo Scorpion, and Fighting Buggy in this order.. this will complete my buggy series.. 

• Like 1

Apparently the Kyosho 125 B universals are a bit too short for the Optima Mid rear suspension. They work fine in the front.

Does anyone know of a universal that is otherwise identical to the 125B but a couple of mm longer? 

The following come to mind:

https://www.rcplanet.com/yokomo-68mm-yz2-universal-drive-shaft-2-yokz2-01068a/p763176

https://www.rcplanet.com/yokomo-65mm-rear-universal-shaft-2-yoks4-01065a/p718728

https://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho-rb7ss-universal-swing-shaft-2-65.5mm-kyoumw749/p991584

https://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho-universal-swing-shaft-set-2-kyontw001/p1339449

I suppose I could also try to limit the rear shock travel.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:44 AM, Mrowka said:

The following come to mind

I’d be a bit wary of the ball size too. 

Yok also loves modding the most tiniest detail for each variant... like I think they increased rear track by 1mm each side on YZ2 CAL3.1 vs YZ2 CAL3.0; then there’s the YZ2 DTM half brother too. 

What length are the OTB125b btw?

I’m still waiting on parts :( before I get to pull apart the mock build & finalize it with musthave hopups. 

Could’ve gotten a Yok YZ4 cheaper at this rate!! :ph34r:

On 8/17/2022 at 1:28 PM, WillyChang said:

I’d be a bit wary of the ball size too. 

Yok also loves modding the most tiniest detail for each variant... like I think they increased rear track by 1mm each side on YZ2 CAL3.1 vs YZ2 CAL3.0; then there’s the YZ2 DTM half brother too. 

What length are the OTB125b btw?

I’m still waiting on parts :( before I get to pull apart the mock build & finalize it with musthave hopups. 

Could’ve gotten a Yok YZ4 cheaper at this rate!! :ph34r:

I will have to measure the OTW125B, but the Optima Mid shafts are 64.7mm, more or less.

https://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-optima-mid-64-7mm-swing-shaft-2-pcs-ot272-00115774?search=swing shaft

65mm or so ought to be the sweet spot.

Kyosho USA put the last of the parts up on the site.  LHS called with my additions and it sounds like at least some of the parts are on the way so will be interested to see what shows up.

The battery in my micrometer died, but the OTW125B appears to be about 64mm exactly. 

At any rate, it is a hair shorter than the stock Optima Mid swing arm.

What are your guys thoughts on the Lemans490 brushed motor?  I realize it's a 30T with only 15400 RPM.. I am looking for a lower power adequate motor that is Kyosho branded to run on my TurboScropion and Javelin.. no plan to race the cars, mostly display.  Good choice I hope?  :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What are your guys thoughts on the Lemans490 brushed motor?  I realize it's a 30T with only 15400 RPM.. I am looking for a lower power adequate motor that is Kyosho branded to run on my TurboScropion and Javelin.. no plan to race the cars, mostly display.  Good choice I hope?  :ph34r:

I've got that motor in my scorpion and it's good for that! Not the most powerful motor but looks very good I probably wouldn't bother in a 4wd buggy! 

20220327_085134.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moffman said:

I've got that motor in my scorpion and it's good for that! Not the most powerful motor but looks very good I probably wouldn't bother in a 4wd buggy! 

20220327_085134.jpg

Thanks for the info!  I will do exactly that then. :D   Since I am running chains on my Javelin for good ol times sake, I think I’m going to run this motor in it as well..mainly just for looks.  

My Optima MID will run BZ as my other faster buggies.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks for the info!  I will do exactly that then. :D   Since I am running chains on my Javelin for good ol times sake, I think I’m going to run this motor in it as well..mainly just for looks.  

My Optima MID will run BZ as my other faster buggies.  

Yeah good idea! I think the 490 goes well with the scorpion (and I assume turbo variant) because it's got quite a simple gearbox and the motor doesn't really have a lot of torque so if there is no real resistance it'll work well? When I got my scorpion the gearbox was already built but I still took it apart and the grease that was in in was not good at all:unsure: (and I'm being generous with that statement^_^!) I put silicon oil in it instead and now it's super smooth! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Yeah good idea! I think the 490 goes well with the scorpion (and I assume turbo variant) because it's got quite a simple gearbox and the motor doesn't really have a lot of torque so if there is no real resistance it'll work well? When I got my scorpion the gearbox was already built but I still took it apart and the grease that was in in was not good at all:unsure: (and I'm being generous with that statement^_^!) I put silicon oil in it instead and now it's super smooth! 

I see what you mean, it's basically a fancy looking Mabuchi motor. :D    Yeah, good thinking with doing a complete breakdown on 2nd hand cars!  I had to do the same on ALL of my 2nd or 3rd hand cars as either it was packed with too much dried up grease or some shelfers had zero lube inside and I drive all my cars.  I should be getting my Turbo Scorpion on Monday so I'm looking forward to that. 

• Like 1

@joeling You must be a wealthy guy. Congrats!

I've been to Malaysia on business numerous times, and where I visited were the sticks where factories are located (ie: Sungai Petani, Kangar).. a huge contract from your background!  :D 

• Like 1

@Willy iine, I am located in the Eastern part of Malaysia on the island of the headhunters (Borneo).

Keeping on topic :

Does this work ? Proline Aluminium with a dash of red

IMG-7963.jpg

IMG-7965.JPG

IMG-7966.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Kyosho put up an Optima Mid video to youtube that is worth watching:  

I saw that a few days ago.  Very cool.  I also recommend checking out “Akira Kogawa RC Story” on YouTube (part1 and part2).   I hope part3 is posted soon.  B)

OK, at timeindex 9:07 in the video where he starts talking about option parts, it looks like there is an anodized steering servo saver installed.  What part number is that?  It's not listed at the end of the video in the option parts listing.

image.png.ca0e86f60dee02cb8d3db5b6e80b7233.png

Another angle:
image.thumb.png.7a555f95ef45d1c6693e249a055f2778.png

Interesting. It isn't mentioned in the manual either. 

I thought why not ask the question in the Youtube comment section but I just saw you already did :D

Edited by Tamiyastef
Extra