RockSteadyEddie

Dynatech 02H rebuild and restoration

Your photos of this motor take me back to the early 90's!

Looks like you have a pretty decent specimen there.

I'd love another one but I'm too $cared to look :unsure:

6 hours ago, rc_ox said:

Your photos of this motor take me back to the early 90's!

Looks like you have a pretty decent specimen there.

I'd love another one but I'm too $cared to look :unsure:

Hi RC_OX, The late 80’s and early 90’s was exactly the same time I got into Tamiya RC with my first being the Monster Beetle and my last being the Avante with a Dynatech 02H. Sadly they both and my 959 were lost over time with parents moving etc etc. I got my son a 2013 MB rerelease as his first RC car too and have a NIB 2011 ABS and rere 2021 Egress both to build with him over the Xmas holidays. 
This 02H is going into a 2011 Avante which we are also building. 
I have to say just rebuilding the motor has been an amazing trip down memory lane and so much fun! I’m glad I have helped trigger fond memories for you too! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimmyMcGoose said:

What’s that red tool you’re using and what does it do?

It’s an RC universal Bearing Tool, or Ball Bearing puller. This one is from MOTIV RC. It’s to safely extract and insert ball bearings. A very handy little bit of kit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:15 PM, RockSteadyEddie said:

Hi RC_OX, The late 80’s and early 90’s was exactly the same time I got into Tamiya RC with my first being the Monster Beetle and my last being the Avante with a Dynatech 02H. Sadly they both and my 959 were lost over time with parents moving etc etc. I got my son a 2013 MB rerelease as his first RC car too and have a NIB 2011 ABS and rere 2021 Egress both to build with him over the Xmas holidays. 
This 02H is going into a 2011 Avante which we are also building. 
I have to say just rebuilding the motor has been an amazing trip down memory lane and so much fun! I’m glad I have helped trigger fond memories for you too! 

Wonderful memories! 

My first car was the Madcap. When it had the 02H it was INSANE! Nothing could catch it. I had to upgrade the motor mount to a metal one as the plastic would flex and chew up the spur gear. I also remember doing a speed run one day and the whole gearbox locked up skidding out of control. When I opened it up, the white plastic insert that cools the motor had been chewed up! It still ran fine without it though. Perhaps a little "hotter" ;)

Sadly my 02H and Madcap parts got thrown out years ago - before I knew about r/c restoration!  

• Like 1

Really nice job and some great photos too. 

what did you use to clean the parts? Did you do any touching up on the outside of the can?

39 minutes ago, JimmyMcGoose said:

Really nice job and some great photos too. 

what did you use to clean the parts? Did you do any touching up on the outside of the can?

Hi Jimmy, Thank you so much for your positive comments. I decided to post this Dynatech 02H renovation because other than Glen “Tamiya Legends” YouTube video there really isn’t a lot of reference material online. 

I have an ultrasonic cleaner (they truly are a tool of the Gods) which I used to clean the can and end caps once I had extracted the bearings. It all came up fairly well except the spindle end cap which was flaking paint already, hence the need to respray. Luckily the writing was predominantly intact and just the sides needed a touch up. Used my wife’s Cricut Maker to create the frisket film mask for this. 

• Like 3

Great job on this, really nice write up. 

I was given one of these motors to try out but am not sure what esc would be ok with it as ive struggled to find any definitive specs on it. It sounds quite pokey from what others describe so assume beyond the capabilities of an tble-02 or 04S?

Also assume the brushes are unique to this or are other spares likely available?

• Like 1

Brushes are unique to it and super hard to find, and very pricy.

It’s not a motor you can run regularly.

I did run mine with the hop up rotor in top force evo with a cpr-160 or standard hobby wing and the tble-02. CPR-160 and hobby wing managed OK- the other Tamiya -02 one thermaled quickly even on tarmac. You’d need another higher spec esc to handle a 10T motor without problems.

• Thanks 2