Shapeways K100 cab
Hobby King 1200kv sensored brushless inrunner
Axial SCX10 100mm drive shaft
Black mudflaps
Castle Creations Copperhead ESC
RadioMaster R168 Frsky 16ch receiver

first photo, have a bunch of stuff taped together

20211107_130718.thumb.jpg.c36d36ff1bfca6df8aa0b23a2e456b95.jpg

second photo, added roof spoiler, and trimmed frame to 12"...  added fuel tanks...  cab still just resting on frame, you can see the block between cab and bumper.

20211107_171508.thumb.jpg.1faf7c8f06144ac6db74061d660c8e5a.jpg

• Like 7

Nice Tim! Bring on the KW builds! Do you have any pics of the rig you are basing your build on is it a custom build? Very nice looking cab mate. Your KW's make a nice pair.

FYI I've just been in touch with Ric from Garden Trucking in regard to the Kenworth hood badges (on the side) that I need for my W924 and he mentioned that he may make some. I'm picking they would be useful to you too? 

Cheers 

Kurt

• Thanks 1

@Beetlemankurt,  there is no "real" version of what i want to build. take the following photo and substitute the K100 instead of the cab in the photo, and you will have what i want the final result of the build to be:

estes-1.jpg

I already have a lesu single axle dolly and lesu single airbag single axle rear suspension sets purchased for what will be two 24" single axle van trailers.

• Like 2

Nice Tim, I’ll be eagerly following your build as it progresses. It’s a great looking cab you’ve got there.

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1

a few more pics of where the build currently stands.  I have finished the positioning of the fuel tanks, they hide the receiver and battery pack, an 8 channel FrSky compatible receiver, and a 2000mah lipo 2 cell shorty pack.  I have also finished the floor of the cab, and placed the dashboard inside to see how everything fits.  I have also added hinges to the cab and frame, as well as a temporary rear cab support.  i need to find photos of the real day cab supports...  if i can't i will just wing it and go with something made up.  I know the classic sleeper cab support won't work, the crossbeam would be where the inline six cylinder heads would be.

20211212_195914.thumb.jpg.ebca347a4ae763fdcfb4033f3ce5d0cc.jpg

20211212_195945.thumb.jpg.6b3f86edaaa7c9f4e8d699e6afdb154f.jpg

• Like 5

That's awesome Tim!! I want to try something similar... but the COST of a Shapeways Cab😲 I'd be divorced and homeless! 🤪  But I'm really going to enjoy watching yours come to life. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carmine A said:

That's awesome Tim!! I want to try something similar... but the COST of a Shapeways Cab😲 I'd be divorced and homeless! 🤪  But I'm really going to enjoy watching yours come to life. 

This model was built from parts i bought off ebay, thinking that "a little here - a little there" would cost less than just buying a Globe Liner and cannibalizing it.  boy was i wrong.  the gearbox was $170, the cab was $200, i bought a bunch of spare parts including the frame rails from someone for $60...  and then spent $200 buying things like fuel tanks and bud wheels and suspension sets.  i am only about 75% of the way done...   because i still need to make trailers for this and the w900, i ended up buying over two dozen tires and wheels at $5 a pair...    but the wife doesn't care, she's happy i am busy in the basement instead of at a bar.

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, tim.senecal said:

This model was built from parts i bought off ebay, thinking that "a little here - a little there" would cost less than just buying a Globe Liner and cannibalizing it. Boy was I wrong....

.....but the wife doesn't care, she's happy I am busy in the basement instead of at a bar. 🍻

I definitely understand!! I tried a PIECEMEAL build a few years ago... "just a TT-02".  Great idea? NOPE!! 😵  By the time I was done, that $125 Kit cost me over $330!!!! 🙄😲🤪🤬🤬🤬  Nice shiny parts though. 

So when I leaped into the money pit of 1/14 Semis, I saved a LOT by starting with a Grand Hauler kit!! 😊  Even with the vast amount of special parts, Sound, a pile of LEDs and details..... I know I ended up spending a lot less. 😉 

But I will soon be heading down YOUR Road soon. I'll be doing a Globe Liner - but stretched, King Sleeper - working Tilt Cab. For starters! Just haven't decided if I'm going Show Truck or Rust Bucket.

And THAT'S why I'm so interested and excited about yours! I like to draw inspiration and ideas from in-depth ideas like yours. 😊👍👍

On 1/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, tim.senecal said:

This model was built from parts i bought off ebay, thinking that "a little here - a little there" would cost less than just buying a Globe Liner and cannibalizing it.  boy was i wrong

I've made that mistake before. Piecing individual parts because you don't need it all costs more than buying a whole kit and having left overs. That is especially true these days. I realized it like you did. Better off starting with a kit. I feel your pain, been there. 

I like the way the day cab is turning out though. It's a shorty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did some initial work on the exhaust...  needs more work, but definitely on the right track.

20220110_215600.thumb.jpg.68d4a8282c2699cbf138e193d9f14a13.jpg

• Like 7

Got some more work done...   3d printed an air cleaner and a battery box, as well as an "elbow" for the exhaust.  I used double-sided tape and some simple square tubing to make brackets to check everything for fit.  i still need to make the rest of the air cleaner intake piping, as well as a bracket for said piping.

20220123_201934.thumb.jpg.67ecd3954d876bc474b6a5f412086f3d.jpg

20220123_202232.thumb.jpg.7e8e32719089af0d5218d57bf107f9ea.jpg

20220123_202238.thumb.jpg.766df5e9f002f48aa9b1507b1ca29b32.jpg

20220123_202247.thumb.jpg.90810bd07cab96e7e1db7d2f9958b2d1.jpg

20220123_202253.thumb.jpg.5f770f70fe272040bf279c621a91fec3.jpg

• Like 7

So, having figured out most of what the day cab is going to need to finish, i started on the trailers.  I have one mocked up, and am drawing up the front, back and frame rails so they can be 3d printed...trailer_mockup.thumb.jpg.3a03968592015070b7f6437cf86f1a2f.jpg

• Like 9

Finally got a good set of prints for the front and back of the pup trailer, they need a little tweaking to make them look 100% what i want, then i get to print off another set for pup trailer number two...

pup_trailer2.thumb.jpg.9ac42263e1ba84fabe94bf5680227134.jpg

pup_trailer3.thumb.jpg.2cdbe843d49cd184a80223f8d9c49f31.jpg

for those that are interested, the floor is 1/16" (1.5mm) sheet aluminum, the sides and roof are 1/8" (3mm) pvc sheet.  3d printed parts are PLA filament, and there are some structural elements (landing gear) made of plastruct shapes.  the suspension is a Lesu single axle airbag unit, and stock tamiya tires, wheels and axle.

• Like 6

Almost all of the parts for both pup trailers have been made.  I still need to figure out a roll-up door...  then its sand/fill/paint everything...  and then lights and sound.pup_trailer4.thumb.jpg.1dbcfd964704b27cb5b6402df873373b.jpg

• Like 6

That's looking cool! Good work and it's coming along pretty darn quickly too. Won't be long and you'll be throwing some paint on it!

Enjoying watching your build progress.

Kurt

Looks great Tim!! 👌  Makes me want to try Pup Trailers..... 

NOT for my Grand Hauler though! A couple of Trucker friends told me that the hardest thing to manage - and especially back up, was a long Tractor with a short Trailer!! 😲

my biggest concern about paint right now is that the weather (outside temps in the 40s) won't allow painting.  i get the feeling these will sit for a couple months before i can paint them.

• Sad 1

Did a little work on a prototype roll-up door... know what i need to get it to work like i want...

pup_trailer5.thumb.jpg.0737387f7fdf7aee0c413d52fbe0db42.jpg

pup_trailer6.thumb.jpg.6204e25a968d64799e9711b9a1eb6ae8.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice work!  Is it all 3D printed pieces?

I never got around to making my pup trailers. Was going to make mine out of 2 cut down Tamiya freight trailers. Finished dollies, have the kits, but never started the trailers.

For the door you'll need some kind of rail, track, or channel. With a curve or radius. Like a garage door.

Those will look nice when done. Waiting to see how you work it out.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Nice work!  Is it all 3D printed pieces?

I never got around to making my pup trailers. Was going to make mine out of 2 cut down Tamiya freight trailers. Finished dollies, have the kits, but never started the trailers.

For the door you'll need some kind of rail, track, or channel. With a curve or radius. Like a garage door.

Those will look nice when done. Waiting to see how you work it out.

Tamiya Fan 1,

The front and rear of the trailer are 3d printed, i also 3d printed the basic chassis that sits between the floor and suspension.  the floor is 1/16" aluminum sheet, and the walls and roof are made of 1/8" "sintra", which is an expanded PVC plastic (similar to styrene).  the rollup door is using a single track, with pins on the back, and the panel on the front to sandwich the track.  I will show pictures when the final door is finished.  each trailer will have its own receiver for lights and possibly powered front legs so that the trailer can be connected and disconnected from the tractor via remote.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, tim.senecal said:

my biggest concern about paint right now is that the weather (outside temps in the 40s) won't allow painting.  i get the feeling these will sit for a couple months before i can paint them.

I'm in the same boat! 😵😫  Arizona is WEIRD lately.... 🤔 I know it's Winter, but temperatures in the TWENTIES (F) is odd for here, and impossible for Painting. 

Tim, that Roll-Up Door is BRILLIANT!! 👍👍👌

Something rarely done in these Trucks, I should do this on my Mercedes 1850L Box Van. It's more typical on Box Trucks. Can't wait to see more of how you did this!