JezHall

TL01 replacement Motor

What is a good replacement motor and ESC to fit a TL01 in the UK?

I'm new to this so it would be easier if it slotted straight in.....

Thanks in advance.

Jez

What do you want to do with it? Are you replacing to go faster or is what you have dead? What is in currently and why the need to upgrade?

Answers to these questions will lead to better answers for you. 

Hi, 

Apologies for the lack.of information. 

The standard motor is dead. I would like it to go faster if possible? I have 2 of these and the working one isn't very fast.

Thanks 

Jez

A noticeable but not unmanageable performance improvement could be achieved with a Sport Tuned motor and Quicrun 1060 ESC. They plug together with no soldering, and shouldn't over-stress standard Tamiya battery connectors. This ESC also gives plenty of headroom if you fancy even more performance down the line.

If not already fitted, oil shocks, bearings and a steel pinion would also be beneficial. Oil shocks improve handling, bearings improve performance and a steel pinion improves longevity.

Is this a project car undergoing constant improvement, or one that is sorted to your satisfaction that just needs to get going again? If the former, there are many other things you can do to get more out of the car. Let us know if this is your aim, and we can advise further. 

• Like 1

Thank you for that comprehensive advice. It's exactly why I joined the forum 👍🏻

I can see the quicrun ESC on eBay from around £15

Regarding the motor.....How many T (turns??) do I need? 

Thanks again

Jez

1 hour ago, JezHall said:

Regarding the motor.....How many T (turns??) do I need? 

No need to worry about turns at this stage. Just look up "Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor" and it should turn up. Just be sure you're getting the 540 size and not the 380 size, which is too small for the TL01.

Edit: Oh, and make sure it's a genuine article. ebay has a few sellers that are peddling imitation Sport Tuned motors that are barely faster than the standard silvercans.

What Car do you have? (the TL-01 has Street Models, Rally Models, Stadium Models and Buggy Models)
What ESC do you use? (if you`re running an mechanical speed controller, get the Quickrun ESC)

If you were running a normal silver Motor from the Kit, the sport tuned Motor will give you a nice performance boost.

If you want "more" you always can get faster Motors. In General: the lower the Turns the faster is the Motor. E.g. a 21T Motor should be faster than a 23T Motor if the Motor has enough Tourque.

But the Sport Tuned Motor is a good allround Motor with good Specs.

• Like 1

These are the 2 I have. As far as I can see the chassis are identical, only the wheels are different. It was suggested that they are TL01 copies?

I had trouble programming the ESC so I was thinking I should buy that and the motor together to ensuring compatability?

Thanks 

Jez

F5984A3F-5ECD-4AB0-A417-EBCD6F609FB7.jpeg

BE11B76B-B4A5-4A1C-9DD1-C1B47026EED4.jpeg

83846428-21BF-49A7-960F-902CC8792A58.jpeg

4 hours ago, JezHall said:

These are the 2 I have. As far as I can see the chassis are identical, only the wheels are different. It was suggested that they are TL01 copies?

I had trouble programming the ESC so I was thinking I should buy that and the motor together to ensuring compatability?

Thanks 

Jez

F5984A3F-5ECD-4AB0-A417-EBCD6F609FB7.jpeg

BE11B76B-B4A5-4A1C-9DD1-C1B47026EED4.jpeg

83846428-21BF-49A7-960F-902CC8792A58.jpeg

Ah, that's different then.

The buggy is a TL-01B Baja King clone, so the Quicrun 1060 and Tamiya Sport Tuned combo will work fine, but the other one is a HBX Bonzer, made by taking a TL-01B clone chassis and mating it with a Wild Dagger clone body, wheels and tyres. This is a combo that Tamiya never released themselves due to the loooong rollout granted by the big wheels and tyres placing undue stress on the motor, leading to high running temperatures and premature failure. HBX tried to get around the issue by fitting a bigger 550-size motor from the factory, but this didn't fully address the issue and motor failures were still common.

To ensure proper operation in the long term, three potential approaches present themselves. You can either fit the Quicrun 1060 ESC and a high-turn brushed motor of about 50 turns, which won't give stellar performance but won't give you overheating problems either. You could fit smaller wheels and tyres to give a rollout similar to your buggy and fit the Quicrun 1060 and Tamiya Sport Tuned. Or you could opt for a brushless motor / ESC combo which develops enough torque to give good performance with the wheels and tyres as they are. There are a lot of cheap sensorless brushless 3650kV combos on ebay that aren't particularly smooth or reliable, but can let you dip your toe in the brushless waters for not too much outlay, or you could spend more and get a smoother and more reliable sensored setup with a Quicrun 10BL60 or 10BL120 ESC and a well-made but not ludicrously expensive 17.5t motor from Turnigy or Surpass, or even a generic "Bluebottle" off Ebay. These run best with LiPo power, but you can get away with a good NiMH battery in most cases.

Personally, if I was in your situation, since you already have an offroader in the form of your buggy, I would convert the truck into a touring car, drifter or rally car, giving your fleet a bit more variety and opening up a far wider range of motor options. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I too think the SportTuned motor and 1060 would be a great natural upgrade.  Similar characteristic as stock, but just noticeably faster, but not ballistic fast which is good.    

1060 is a good esc as others said. A cheap alternative for a Sport Tuned motor is the Carson Race Machine motor. These motors perform very well. 21T, price about 17 euro.

IMG20220325164107_BURST000_COVER.jpg