Kol__

MCI decals

Pro? You having a laugh!! I remember painting the rocker cover for my Astra VXR back in 2007 and putting it the oven to bake at 70 degrees, then accidentally pushing knob round to 170 and melting the **** thing. Lol. The rocker cover was plastic !! 🤔🤦‍♂️

James.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Pro? You having a laugh!! I remember painting the rocker cover for my Astra VXR back in 2007 and putting it the oven to bake at 70 degrees, then accidentally pushing knob round to 170 and melting the **** thing. Lol. The rocker cover was plastic !! 🤔🤦‍♂️

James.

OUCH!    It's good to know even pro's makes mistakes sometimes.  :D  

I've made my share of mistakes.. :ph34r:    like grabbing the wrong can of paint while spraying multiple parts in different colors.   lol.    oops.

Anyway, back to MCI decals!

Lol, here is some of MCI decals Michelin WRC style decals on my Tamiya I20 WRC. 👍 Surprisingly they lasted very well given how much abuse that car has had. 😂😂👍

15R45gq.jpeg

James

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rally! said:

I was thinking of ordering a set of classic Michelin tire logos from them but this thread has made me hesitant.

Personally I would ask for a good quality photo of the supposed final print product. If what you receive doesn’t match up you should get a refund.

Perhaps it’s just me but if a business exists largely to produce repro decals they should be able to do so at a similar (not necessarily the same) quality as the original. I’m not sure ‘good enough’ should actually be good enough if that makes sense?!

• Like 1

Out of interest did Nate ever offer to do a new print of your decals @Kol__?

Personally I've never had an issue with anything he's made for me and always been very impressed with the quality. My guess would be that he gets a bit overrun with orders when he does a discount offer and struggles to get everything out in a timely manner, so checking might not be as precise as usual. One time I asked him to do me a favour to add a couple of small freebie stickers on a sheet I'd ordered, which not only did he do for me, but he sent me a bunch of free sheets of ones he'd discarded as faulty. When I emailed him to say I thought he'd sent me someone elses' order by mistake he explained he'd rejected them so were free I spent ages staring at them trying to work out what was wrong with them. Eventually I found an error on 1 of them, but have still to find the problem with the others.

Although the quality of Tamiya stickers are generally better I'd dispute that they are faultless and point you in the direction of the Midnight Pumpkin and Vanessa's Lunchbox for starters. They look like they've been printed with a dot matrix printer! And as previously stated by others, MCI are a lot cheaper than Tamiya and at the end of the day, they have enabled many of us to complete restorations that would otherwise be left stickerless.

I find it strange that so many people that are complaining about the quality yet are all so happy that he offers custom stickers! They are made with the same printers - so why is one ok and not the other?! :huh:

• Like 1

Hi @jonboy1, good to hear you've always had a positive experience with MCI buddy. No offer of a reprint from Nate as such, this was his reply (copy & pasted) -

"Hi. No that is just the limitation of my printer. It’s a thermal printer. And along the x axis it caps out at 300 dpi. I can try rotating them to change the angle. Sometimes that makes it less noticeable."

I haven't responded mate, as I don't see there being much improvement. If a better quality is/was available, then the set I received never should've been sent out like that. If he was busy and overrun I'd rather of waited whilst he produced an acceptable quality of product. I think the process/equipment is not up to the task of producing something a high quality from his response there.

In my limited experience so far in the hobby, I wouldn't say MCI are much cheaper than the available Tamiya stickers that I've seen/purchased, you can pick up most sets for £10-15 delivered on eBay UK. With shipping from Canada it works about about the same cost for MCI. I haven't seen a set of Pumpkin or VBox stickers in person, but will have a look if I ever pick up a set. All Tamiya stickers sets I've seen so far have been spot on wit regards to absolute quality buddy.

The point some of us made about being happy with being able to customise but not with the quality, is for me, simply that it is great to have someone out there providing the option to customise our stickers and bring our visions and creations to life, but that doesn't also mean we're happy with the quality of final product if it is a substandard output. A real plus for MCI is the customisability, a negative is the lack of quality and attention to detail. As I posted before I'd buy again for a runner, but wouldn't even consider MCI for a shelfer.

I guess this mostly comes down to personal standards, what's acceptable to some, isn't to others. For me if you're selling a product it should be of the highest quality that technology allows for and if it's not then this should be advertised as such.

• Like 1

I guess this mostly comes down to personal standards, what's acceptable to some, isn't to others. For me if you're selling a product it should be of the highest quality that technology allows for and if it's not then this should be advertised as such.

Agree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I find it strange that so many people that are complaining about the quality yet are all so happy that he offers custom stickers! They are made with the same printers - so why is one ok and not the other?! :huh:

For reference I've used MCI and been happy with them but I would not have been happy with the quality of the decals sent to Kol. 

My point previously is that quality seems inconsistent. I just don't think people are always getting the quality as shown on the website. 

• Like 1