Sign in to follow this  
wrighi

Tamiya G6-01 Exo Ares

Hello, this is my Exo Ares

I use it for walking, I'm pretty sure it will do 1200km without  need any spares.
it has a gps with which I can keep a maintenance diary

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to TamiyaClub! And with such a fascinating build, too :o I am sure a good number of us would be interested in reading about the backstory and how it all came together!

• Like 1

Thank you.

this new truck is the heir of my Dynahead which became Dynakong after 400km traveled because the red portals are worn out.
first Dynakong it has now traveled 870km and will come around 1000km without having to do much to keep it healthy.
I have to walk and these trucks are a great excuse for me, also yesterday I did 16km with the new Exo Ares.
So I have 3 G6-01 trucks:
a Dynahead dedicated to mountain trekking with red portals and 150km done.
a Dynakong or my first truck to which at 400km I removed the red portals and still use as G6-01 for urban and moderate country walks, but now with 870km already traveled.
for third this new Exo Ares designed to get to travel 1200km without problems (I hope) to be used in urban walks even at night, on the snow or moderate offroad.

This Exo Ares can hold the gopro 7 inside and also on the roof.
it has a door and a cap to operate the gopro when it is inside.
has an arduino control unit that allows you to manage 2 servos and some LED lights, such as direction indicators, brakes and high beams.
It has a gps that I need to know how far I travel and write the maintenance diary because 1200km cannot be done without scheduled maintenance.
in the next few days I will also post more photos about the construction, the cabin is made of wood and fiberglass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a great build, these 6x6 trucks really lend themselves to custom bodies.  Inspired idea and great execution :) 

• Like 1

some construction   photos

start from plywood

spacer.png

fiberglass

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

that's all real glass

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

handmade GPS

spacer.png

cob led

spacer.png

spacer.png

handmade piston servo saver

spacer.png

spacer.png

anyone who wants information I will be happy to help

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First of all, Wow!  

I think yours look way cooler than the Japanese space agency thing. 

90chsCL.jpg

It's made out of plywood!  It looks fantastic.  Tamiya should release one like yours.  

On 12/17/2021 at 2:06 PM, wrighi said:

red portals are worn out

I have no plans to run 400km with mine (that alone is a feat, let alone 1000), but how bad were they worn?  I assume they wore out with bearings installed?  

I would appreciate any additional photos, please. 

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

First of all, Wow!  

I think yours look way cooler than the Japanese space agency thing. 

90chsCL.jpg

It's made out of plywood!  It looks fantastic.  Tamiya should release one like yours.  

I have no plans to run 400km with mine (that alone is a feat, let alone 1000), but how bad were they worn?  I assume they wore out with bearings installed?  

thank you!!

yes, of course, ball bearings everywhere. in reality the gears that have worn are only the small ones made of brass.
it would be nice if those gears were made as steel hopups.
the other silver-colored gears are still as good as new.

I use this G6-01 frame for walking, an excuse to make an activity more enjoyable that I probably wouldn't do every day.
from the first photos a week has passed and my rover has already passed 50km of road, it is easy to reach 1000km, yesterday I walked 16km.

in fact I started to differentiate my three G6-01, I have one with red portals that I only use for trekking and two without portals that I use for walking in my town.

however, I will soon open a new discussion on the 2 Dynaheads with a lot of photos.

• Like 1

Walking 10 miles a day?  What possessed you to walk so much?  And how many batteries should you carry for 16km?  

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

Walking 10 miles a day?  What possessed you to walk so much?  And how many batteries should you carry for 16km?  

I try to walk  5 km every day and sometimes  become 15 easily.
nothing serious but I am 50 years old and need to walk for health reasons, which without my truck becomes more boring specially in winter.

I have invented a sport that I like to do even if it might involve a G6-01 chassis every year.

I live in a beautiful town and sometimes the best excuse is to go for a walk in the city center to shoot some tourist videos

however the distance from my home and back becomes about 12-16 km

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvHlgfTKnIo

I try to treat them well and do maintenance, this rover has already done about 50km.

but at least I stopped the old truck that has already done 870 km and still has no particular problems to have to disassemble and repair.

I will arrive between 1000 and 1200 before throwing away the bones and cups that will be the first piece to be replaced.
then I will have finished tires but as long as they don't get punctured they have no reason to be changed.

I only need one 2S 5500mA battery to travel 10 miles on a flat asphalt road with a 21.5T sensored brushless motor.
if all the lights off I can even travel 20 km but it is the minimum consumption limit set on 3.3v/cell  lipo alarm 
obviously if there are hills and many curves, consumption increases.

max speed 21kmh,  media speed 6-7kmh 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:16 PM, Juggular said:

these are the gears of the portals after 350km

120km in mountain trekking.

if I really need an emergency maybe they can do another 50km but it is clear that the cosumption could be improved, the silver gears would still have a lot of life.

a bag of 12 steel gears would be enough to take full advantage of the red portals.

spacer.png

these are bones and cups

maintenance  at 400km

spacer.png

my ex Dynahead has now covered 870km when he reaches 1000 I take off a great maintenace and take new pictures.
Bones and cups are the same as you see now in the picture.

just add wheel axle cups c when I removed the red portals.
Now they are worn out but not yet to be thrown away, I saw them at 800km, I bet them around 1000km before showing problems and maybe just steering.

spacer.png

• Like 1