KEV THE REV

Vintage Holiday Buggy / Sand Rover 540 gear cover

I thought about making one of these covers for a while , so I set about it as I has the spare materials etc to do it . I made paper templates and adapted as I went as I work on the fly as it were . I drew around the 540 mount and thought about installing the item as easily as possible but giving max closure to the gear aperture void and coverage of the gears . Primed then finished in satin black  , .5mm plastic-card was used  . This what I came up with :-

20211222_110757.jpg

20211220_175341.jpg

20211220_115120.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very well done. There used to be lexan one, but nobody sells that anymore. Yours looks better. 

It's strange how Tamiya left that gearbox open in the first place?!
Nice work, but are you scratch building these, not 3D printing them? I'd be interested in one for my Sand Rover.

Thanks for your comments . Yes it's strange it was left open as these were  basically off road / sand buggies . The Mardave Marauder is similar with some open gears . I scratch built these from plastic card and they are one offs no 3D  . You can still buy TBG covers , but I prefered to build my own.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Both together for comparison

Looks factory finish!!   :D 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Looks factory finish!!   :D 

Agreed, these are excellent!

@KEV THE REV What do you use to bond the plasticard pieces together (glue or plastic-weld?), and is there any bracing required on the inside?

Hi , thanks for the kind words . I use Tamiya thin liquid cement to bond the card . The inside seams are all bonded with JB cold weld paste , super strong finish . The card needs to be thin at the area between the original shaft hold down piece and the gear edges as there isn't much room , but once all is bonded up it is very strong . I used .5mm card as it curves nicely around the top and clears the gears on the side panel . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too use Tamiya cement (I use the basic orange cap one).. it works real well.  Bonds so strong when I pull at the joint to test, usually another part of the styrene gives out first.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's right . If you brush the plastic with the liquid glue it will melt the plastic just enough and is controllable  . I brush both pieces a few times then press them together and then brush the seems / joints to 'fuse' the plastics together . I use a good sized brush - not the small lid brush provided .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Thanks for the comments everyone , much appreciated

Keep up the great work.  

• Thanks 1