JeffSpicoli

Detail Brushes

What are you guys using to paint details?    Any preferred brands or qualities?

I'm finding the brushes I use which are average in price, I always get that one strand of hair on the tip that messes up a good line. 

I'm assuming there are better brands and qualities but I'm ignorant to what they are.

What are you pros using?

Thanks!

Tamiya Paint Brush Basic Set, used it for over a decade using very hash paint and thinners and they are still fine. 

The trick with dealing with stray strand of hair is boiling hot water, after cleaning, dip it into the hot water and shape the brush and allow to dry. I have used El-cheap-o sets for ages and actually like them better than expensive brand ones. There is one brush I used for so long that the wooden handle actually rotted away. 

I use Tamiya and mig by ammo brushes. The better grade brushes do help get a better finish and details in longer term use. I build and paint dioramas so learned a lot about the better brushes helping. The Tamiya basic set is very good for most. You’d only need the higher grade ones when you are getting to a very high expertise level.

Nothing special for me, I mainly use 3 brushes.  Tamiya's basic Fine and Med brushes in the picture, and disposable junk brushes I buy in bulk for doing larger areas that are not cosmetically important (not in foreground).

IMG_Dec202021at65500PM.jpg.cb5d441064f91f0493d7315fa0dced52.jpg

Weirdly, my favorite tiny detail brush is a Humbrol brush that came with an Airfix kit I bought while I was in the UK many years ago. It's really small (sub-1mm lines possible), holds its shape, doesn't shed, and cleans up easily. I only use it with Testors enamels and their brush cleaner/thinner, I don't know how it would do with acrylics, and I don't intend to find out.

I'm no Rembrandt when it comes to painting models, but it does seem to make me look like I kinda know what I'm doing...

IMG_20211102_174457381.jpg

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Weirdly, my favorite tiny detail brush is a Humbrol brush that came with an Airfix kit I bought while I was in the UK many years ago. 

I used my Humbrol brush for so long that the wooden handle rotted.