Sign in to follow this  
gregdogghurst

Set up issues-HELP!!

Hi guys

Over the Christmas break I found the time to get electrics installed in 2 buggies (both setups are exactly the same). Now both systems are experiencing the same problem so it must be something i'm doing wrong but I can't work it out and getting very frustrated now! :wacko:

I followed all the instructions linking transmitter to receiver/high point/neutral brake etc etc. 

when I first pulled the throttle the wheels started turning (car on stand) then suddenly lose drive with red and green alternating flashing light on ESC. I tried to go through set up again but still the same outcome. EXACTLY the same on both cars.

According to manual red/green flashing means- motor not in correct mode (brushed/brushless) OR sensor cable not connected OR motor has shut down. Ive quadruple checked in brushless mode and sensor cables are fine. Could it be motors are shutting down and why?

Any ideas or help much appreciated, this is doing my head in!!

Futaba radio gear

Tamiya TBLE04SR ESC with TBLM02S motor

Savox sc-1258tg servo

• Confused 1

Silly question,are you using the same cells? are the cells charged fully. specially if nicads or nims

• Like 1

So if the ESC is in the correct mode and the battery is fully charged, the culprit could be your Savox servo. They draw good power and can sometimes overpower the rX. Try unplugging the servo from the rX and see if the motor/esc works. However, I feel it's very likely that the ESC is not in the right mode. This is very common with the Tamiya TBLE (02 and 04) ESCs. It's a bit fiddly changing modes. So hard to differentiate red and orange lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Theibault said:

So if the ESC is in the correct mode and the battery is fully charged, the culprit could be your Savox servo. They draw good power and can sometimes overpower the rX. Try unplugging the servo from the rX and see if the motor/esc works. However, I feel it's very likely that the ESC is not in the right mode. This is very common with the Tamiya TBLE (02 and 04) ESCs. It's a bit fiddly changing modes. So hard to differentiate red and orange lol.

Hi Theibault-thanks for your reply.

Yes I tried unplugging the servo but still the same result. Also have the same servo on 2 other cars and no issues....

I'm going to have to try and work everything through again later :(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gregdogghurst said:

Hi Theibault-thanks for your reply.

Yes I tried unplugging the servo but still the same result. Also have the same servo on 2 other cars and no issues....

I'm going to have to try and work everything through again later :(

Never hurts to take a step away for a minute. Like I said, I'm almost positive it's the ESC setup. Try set up opposite to what you have right now. It can't hurt.

been advised elsewhere that these top of the range Tamiya ESCs won't run a tamiya 10.5T brushless motor.

Even though it says in the print 'designated for use with tamiya brushless sensored motor series'

I'm gutted if this is correct

10 hours ago, Theibault said:

So hard to differentiate red and orange lol.

Even worse for me as I am red-green color blind and red and orange(which contains red) looks the same to me! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

been advised elsewhere that these top of the range Tamiya ESCs won't run a tamiya 10.5T brushless motor.

Even though it says in the print 'designated for use with tamiya brushless sensored motor series'

I'm gutted if this is correct

I have 2 TBLE04S and had zero luck setting them up for brushless. Same red green flashing as you. I just about gave up on them right now and probably brushless as well. I got a 17.5t brushless which I was told here that "will easily beat" my Super Stock brushed. Well, it is just slightly better than a silver can, maybe on par with a Torque Tuned and no where near a Super Stock. 

Anyway, your TBLM02S should be 15.5t right? So should be within specs of your ESC, so it should work. Do you have another non Tamiya ESC that you can try out. 

Sorry to hear you had issues too. I think they should run a 17.5 no problems.

Both motors are 10.5T. It’s very disappointing if the ESC can’t run that motor as it’s not clear and I wouldn’t have purchased had I known.

Im going to try other esc and battery

It does say in the detail on brushless that a 02s needs the fan to run the 10.5. This still gives problems for some so maybe why they reduced the 04s which looks on paper to be more capable to the higher turn brushless.

anyways, what you have is similar to what I put in my super avante. I found a few issues on setting up- one was the battery voltage was too low, then the main one was that the sensor lead was not fully pushed in on the motor. Ran it yesterday on tarmac and got 15 mins running before it thermalled. Full throttle starts to check the slipper did it.

the Tamiya 17.5 motor is pretty weak- you need to gear it up to get a decent pace from it. I’d reckon a tamiya 13.5 would be similar to a super stock in how it goes.

33 minutes ago, Alangt4 said:

the Tamiya 17.5 motor is pretty weak- you need to gear it up to get a decent pace from it. I’d reckon a tamiya 13.5 would be similar to a super stock in how it goes.

It is not a Tamiya 17.5t I got. However the point is, I was told here by some BL fan boy that a 17.5t can "easily beat" a Super Stock, that fellow even quoted the performance of a BL @8.4v while performance of B are quoted @7.2v usually, took me a moment to see through the scam. So anyway, tested the 17.5t OOB and it clearly cannot match any of my Super Stocks. No mention of gearing, timing, turbo or other screwing about necessary, "easily" is the keyword here and so I tested it OOB, cannot be "easier" than that. When I have time, I am going to put it into a Lunchbox against a silver can and one of my Zs, no gearing option on that chassis so no arguments about "incorrect" gearing. 

17.5 brushless will pull a much bigger gear than a 23t brushed, depending on the Tamiya car it will actually be hard to gear them high enough to get the performance out of them.

I wouldn't expect a racing 17.5 to be massively faster than a rebuildable 23t brushed once geared correctly. I'd say a good 17.5 is now on a par with the old brushed 19t spec motors, no faster than that. But with close to zero maintenance.