Grumpy pants

Soldering Iron Recommendations please.

What recommendations do you have for me?

Looking for easy to use and I am budget conscious as always 😉

Motor wires and putting new plugs on batteries and ESC’s is where I’m at.

Just tried out my plug in 30W and it’s not got the guts to do what I’m wanting to do really. 

I think this had been asked many times, just cheap and cheerful around 60w will do us fine, unless you are into serious shouldering and want top of the range everything kind. I just get the cheapest 60w I find on Amazon and for shouldering a few connectors, it is fine. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I think this had been asked many times, just cheap and cheerful around 60w will do us fine, unless you are into serious shouldering and want top of the range everything kind. I just get the cheapest 60w I find on Amazon and for shouldering a few connectors, it is fine. 

I read that in a Sean Connery accent :lol:

Go over it again carefully and you'll know why lol.

Back on topic though, I also use a cheap-n-cheerful 60w iron and it serves me just fine, even for soldering wires onto motor tabs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I use a cheapo Weller 40W soldering station bought off Amazon.. Weller WLC100 40-Watt Soldering Station

50W+ is ideal if assembling battery packs, but not needed.  I use a 50W in my garage as sometimes it's pretty chilly in there.

30W should work for soldering motor lead, etc as I only had a 25W when I was a kid and worked fine as long as I was not soldering outdoors.  I shortened the tip and filed it into a what resembles a flat-head screw driver tip.  

I also use a 60:40 rosin core solder, and soldering wick is helpful too for clean ups.   Hope some of this info helps.

IMG_Mar232021at53447PM.jpg.d3f370f1de7d393285d1d6349e9064e3.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I read that in a Sean Connery accent :lol:

Go over it again carefully and you'll know why lol.

Back on topic though, I also use a cheap-n-cheerful 60w iron and it serves me just fine, even for soldering wires onto motor tabs.

Ah yes, bleeding auto correct. 

I have a Hakko 888D.

A friend of mine who is a professor of electrical engineering and computer science uses an eBay special and says that it works just dandy for almost everything. Another friend who repairs mobile phones and electronics for a living (and who is certified to solder anything,  including components on space rockets) uses a similar el cheapo unit for most soldering. 

• Thanks 1

My bit of advice is get one with a chisel tip, not a point. It will make your life SO MUCH easier for what we use an iron for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot of cheap irons do not control the heat well so they can over heat if you leave them on while assembling the next bit to work on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1