Sgt.Speirs

Sgt.Speirs‘ Nissan King Cab - TRF201 Transmission Conversion & Restoration

7 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

img_5079uuina.jpg

Good only for a shelf queen.
Don't use it or it will break in minutes.

Max

On 10/9/2022 at 3:25 PM, Sgt.Speirs said:

The last step of this project will be now the restoration portion. The original gearbox will be installed and and the electronics shall be restored as out of the box (mechanical speed controller, resistor, second servo,...).

@Collin: Yes, you missed my decision to build the Monster Racer finally as a shelf-queen ;) 

The condition of the chassis is too good to ride it off-road. But for off road touring I have a Dyna Blaster :D
But it's good to know I could do that if I wanted to (incl. swap the transmission).

@kontemax: I don’t know what motor you use for killing the gearbox immediately, but I don‘t think that you can achieve this with a silver can, Dynatech or TechniGold motor :P

With modern brushless systems I agree with you. But therefore there is the TRF201 gearbox or an Super Astute gearbox with slipper clutch.

• Like 2

That makes sense : ) Luckylie Dyna transmission is very good out of the box.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

@Collin: Yes, you missed my decision to build the Monster Racer finally as a shelf-queen ;) 

The condition of the chassis is too good to ride it off-road. But for off road touring I have a Dyna Blaster :D
But it's good to know I could do that if I wanted to (incl. swap the transmission).

@kontemax: I don’t know what motor you use for killing the gearbox immediately, but I don‘t think that you can achieve this with a silver can, Dynatech or TechniGold motor :P

With modern brushless systems I agree with you. But therefore there is the TRF201 gearbox or an Super Astute gearbox with slipper clutch.

Believe me, I'm expert with this model, check my showroom.
I destroyed the transmission with a simple Dyna Run silver, 23 turns.
The first part you will break is the plastic brace of the iddle gear, once broken you will grind the iddle gear and the spur gear in seconds.
You could replace the plastic brace with an aluminum alloy one, good, you will wear out very fast the teeth of the iddle gear and the spur gear.
Your gearbox is not dust proof, every sort of powder, sand and debris will enter inside and will make a deadly mix with the grease.
You will seal someway the gearbox and replace the gears, your diff will start to grind and slip.
You will add shims to the diff, it will grind and slip again after a bit of use until your metal pot diff housings will be too much deformed.
You will replace the gearbox housings with some full solid aluminum alloy machined with the lathe.
Your diff will not work and you will have a solid rear axle and your model will not steer, in a little bunch of time you will break the teeth of you iddle gear, or your spur gear, or your diff gear.
You will find the teeth everywhere in your gearbox, you will replace the gear set, you also could built a new gearset with billet steel alloy, you wil wear out the diff cups, the wheel axles, the half shafts.
No way, believe me.
If your King Cab is a runner absolutely consider to replace the entire gearbox and transmission included wheel axles and half shafts.
Don't think to swap the axles with the King Cab Universal Joints, they will wear out and snap very soon.
My 2 cents.

Max

@kontemax: I don't know what kind of dangerous, rc car gear killing dust/sand/gravel you have in Italy/Turin, but this we have here in South Germany definitly not ;)

I have here a King Cab from a friend and he assured me that this are the original gears from the 90s. And I know from back in the day that he also drove a tuning motor from LRP. He drove his King Cab not competitive or on a track, but nearly daily in front of his parents house or on gravel parking lot.

img_5525lae6h.jpg

img_5527vlf9x.jpg

img_5528a6i66.jpg

The spur gear has some wear and the motor pinion has a lot of wear, but the counter gear(s) look good.

In this case I'm not as pessimistic about the original transmission as you are. But everybody should be aware that these parts are more than 30 years old.

And here we have the final pics of the installed electronics.

img_5529kcde5.jpg

img_55300teoq.jpg

img_5531aaczp.jpg

The receiver is for display purposes only :)

img_5532a2ix2.jpg

The chassis from the rear...

img_5535fqdl3.jpg

...with the already mentioned Hop-Up Option 53001.

img_55333vclc.jpg

img_553696caa.jpg

That's it for now with the restoration of my Hilux Monster Racer.

The next episode will be the restoration of the King Cab body and the cleaning of the remaining King Cab rims. But this will be a project for 2023 :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

@kontemax: I don't know what kind of dangerous, rc car gear killing dust/sand/gravel you have in Italy/Turin, but this we have here in South Germany definitly not ;)

I have here a King Cab from a friend and he assured me that this are the original gears from the 90s. And I know from back in the day that he also drove a tuning motor from LRP. He drove his King Cab not competitive or on a track, but nearly daily in front of his parents house or on gravel parking lot.

img_5525lae6h.jpg

Have a look at the half shaft ends and at he diff cups and wheel axles.
I can see the wearing in the picture.
A simple Dyna Run Stock motor (23 Turns) and a 14T pinion gear and the transmission fails.
The dust is inside the gearbox, have a check.

Max

7 hours ago, kontemax said:

Have a look at the half shaft ends and at he diff cups and wheel axles.
I can see the wearing in the picture.
A simple Dyna Run Stock motor (23 Turns) and a 14T pinion gear and the transmission fails.
The dust is inside the gearbox, have a check.

Max

I can see this wear on almost every other driven Tamiya as well. @Sgt.Speirs restored a shelfie, so I guess its okay to use "as original" parts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Collin said:

I can see this wear on almost every other driven Tamiya as well. @Sgt.Speirs restored a shelfie, so I guess its okay to use "as original" parts.

If Sgt.Speirs uses it it's not a shelfie but a runner.
Anyway, I gave you my experience, that's all.

Max

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:14 PM, Sgt.Speirs said:

And then I got a present from...yes, I think I can say "friend" from Hampshire, UK :)
Thanks @Kol__

Absolutely buddy😃 And thank you for your kind help also👍

Got to say that chassis looks amazing mate!😍 You must be very pleased with it?

With all the period correct electronics, it just finishes it off so nicely. For mine, I will have the new resistor and a used MSC as well. Any tips on how best to clean up the MSC bud?

• Thanks 1

@Kol__

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

...Any tips on how best to clean up the MSC bud?

I would use first isopropyl alcohol...with a towel for the wires and tooth brush for the MSC itself. That's what I used for mine.

• Like 1

The thread goes on with this nice piece…

f7a8a3b0-bd1c-4d26-ah7ft6.jpeg

The Hilux Monster Racer is done…now (or in 2023) it’s time for building its sister model.

• Like 6

This is awsome! As a king cab lover I would most definitely like to purchase or invest in these if possible! Keep up the great work bro! 

• Thanks 1