The 1260 bushings arrived today and they look the part rather than a bearing in place of that wide-axle spacer

spacer.png

There's a little bit of play in the axle, but I don't know whether the original spacer was a closer fit and took all of that out, or if I need to add a 6mm shim or two?

This is about as far as I can go for now, until the red drive belt and screws turn up

spacer.png

• Like 3

Just back from a lovely week away in deepest darkest Mid-Wales. No mobile signal, no broadband, no mains electricity...just books, an open fire, countryside, sunshine, dark skies and Mrs J. Bliss!

And it was nice to arrive home to a couple of deliveries....red belt and screws 

spacer.png

And the fluorescent spring sets for the various TA03 builds

spacer.png

I'm impressed with the YR screws; the colour's a good match for the Tamiya parts, and they went in easily enough with no signs of getting overly stressed, undoubtedly helped by the fact that all threads were pre-tapped and had already had a steel screw in there, plus I added a tiny dot of Tamiya grease to the tip of each one before screwing them in 

• Like 5

Ooops moment 😂 

I realised when I built the steering assembly I completely forgot about the carbon support bar! 

spacer.png

Now corrected, and installed 😊

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Most of the red screws are in, along with the red belt and fluorescent red springs. Now just waiting for:

• Red 15mm screws for the upper damper mounts, where the rear section attaches to the tub, and the body posts
  • Red damper balls to arrive from the US
  • Red 5mm ball nuts to arrive from the US for the upper arm and tie rod mounts on the uprights
  • Stabiliser rods

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The belt is a bit weird; it doesn't 'feel' like the kit standard or black aramid belts. It feels more like....a giant strawberry bootlace :lol:

• Like 7

So, on with the stabilisers then :)

spacer.png

To be fair the rod ends are probably a bit redundant but 

a) I have them

b) they look cool

c) they don't seem to foul on anything and

d) I'm not going to be using red on anything else, soo....

spacer.png

spacer.png

That leaves two nice new yellow bars for the DJ restoration, and two blue ones for the blue 'un

spacer.png

• Like 3

I'm really happy for you that you got the belt.  Works really well with the rest of the chassis.

I know what you mean, the belt feels kind of plastic compared to the fibrous feel of the black belts.

:D  Blue belt for the Jun?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

I'm really happy for you that you got the belt.  Works really well with the rest of the chassis.

Thanks for the tip! I'm chuffed to have got hold of one :D

28 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

:D  Blue belt for the Jun?

I'm going to keep the DJ relatively stock, and just restore it to box-fresh glory. With a few little extras! 

I have managed to source a blue belt for the 3rd build though! As much as this one is red, that one will be blue B)

• Like 1

That's some red alright 👍

Loving the belt

• Like 1

Servo time!

spacer.png

To be honest, not that great a result. The lightweight servo mounts are too narrow at the top for 10mm screws, and need 6mm really. Which I don't have. And they attach to the chassis using 8mm screws. Which I don't have. And the ball connector could do with a red 3mm lock nut. Which....well, you get the gist

spacer.png

That'll be me waiting for more screws then :rolleyes:. Think I'll wait for these, the 14mm screws, ball nuts, damper mount balls, steel pinion and universals to turn up and make a start on the DJ restoration in the meantime...

• Like 2

So, the David Jun F-Pro was in pretty good condition when it arrived. All metal parts are grand after a dip in the ultrasonic cleaner, and most of the plastics were fine too. It just needed a few genuine restoration / replacements:

• The front gearbox, bumper and left upright were cracked so needed replacing, and as I want to rebuild it with hex-head machine screws instead of self-tappers I decided to replace the plastics
  • The chassis plates only had very minor scratches on the underside and would have done fine, but I found a new set super cheap in Japan and couldn't leave them behind. So the David Jun will get restored to box-fresh and the old plates will get used on the blue-build 
  • The original scratched up stabilisers will be replaced with these new ones that arrived yesterday 

spacer.png

Other than that it will get a few little added extras, some of which are essential (IMO) and some just because they're lovely

• aluminium hex hubs
  • aluminium servo stays
  • HT servo saver
  • hardened outdrives
  • aluminium steering
  • carbon stabiliser supports and steering bar
  • front bumper 

spacer.png

• Like 4

The David Jun is coming along nicely. Both ball diffs went back together very smoothly, rebuilt with ceramic silicon nitride diff balls and hardened outdrives

spacer.png

And a Brucey Bonus....the original mini-bumper was dented (evidence of whatever had caused the gearbox, bumper and upright to crack), and with no sight of a J Parts tree anywhere it wasn't going to be replaced.

However....

It turns out there's a mini bumper on the 3-RS E Parts Tree (E-10) which is unused! So I found a new home for it :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

One little oddity, whoever had built it originally had replaced the brass spacers in the C Hubs with plastic parts :huh:

But the Tamiya-flotsam pile proved there was still use in it yet, as it contained four brass 850 bushings :)

spacer.png

And that's the front end ready for motor installation...

spacer.png

• Like 2

One little finishing touch to the RS before I put it away for a bit...attaching the carbon reinforcing plate. Fun fact...by buying a separate tension pulley bushing from Tamico for €3, I didn't even need to open Screw Bag C!

spacer.png spacer.png

And that's it for another week or so :wub:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

@Juhunio that looks gorgeous :wub: So you´ve done red,  blue is upcoming. How about purple after that B)

Purple Shocks.jpg

1 hour ago, Lee1075 said:

@Juhunio that looks gorgeous :wub: So you´ve done red,  blue is upcoming. How about purple after that B)

What...mix red AND blue...are you crazy???

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

What...mix red AND blue...are you crazy???

:( :lol:

3 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

Purple Shocks.jpg

Purple maybe an acquired taste

IMG-20220119-WA0005.jpeg

• Like 5

Motor choice for the David Jun is this NIB DynaRun Racing Stock, which is a perfect match with the kit 23T pinion

spacer.png

I found another little bonus in there...the motor comes with that squared-off motor plate included B) Handy, because the previous owner had used a TZ motor, and no motor plate at all :huh:

spacer.png

But what life gives with one hand, it takes away with the other...

I could not get the cap screws to bite. They seemed too short...but that's impossible, cap screws are cap screws right?

Wrong :rolleyes:

spacer.png

I remembered when I took it apart that not only had the previous owner not attached a motor plate, he also hadn't attached the large washers between the cap screw and the motor mount (those in the pic are mine from the spares pots). This was to enable his 10mm cap screws to fit, because the TA03F-Pro....uses 12mm cap screws! That only come with the heat sink set! :(

I know I could just use 12mm button screws but I want to get this back to as close to box-fresh as possible, so I've had to order some 12mm cap screws from Accu. Which I'm now waiting for, along with all the other bits

Any Kinks fans out there?

"Cos I'm soooo tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting for screwwwwws"

Back soon....

• Like 6

Did the dyna-run come with the motor plates?

If so lucky boy🍀

@ThunderDragonCy is right it's a smart motor👍 not a racing stock though!

Kinks fan here😉

• Like 2

Nice @Juhunio I couldn't bring it over myself to fit that motor and put it on display instead :lol:

Found some great display stands and a lovely pink motor that are on there way to me :).

Thinking about pink: Next colour coded build for you? 

STMotor1.jpg

Acto Power.jpg   s-l1600.jpg

Dyno Run.jpg

• Like 4