@Lee1075 I haven't yet found an Acto-Pink at a price I can stomach, but one day....I've a Super Astute ready to give one a home :)

@svenb yup it sure did include the motor plate, happy days!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, svenb said:

@ThunderDragonCy is right it's a smart motor👍 not a racing stock though!

No indeed! My only experience of that sort thing was a very leggy Dynatech 02H that came with my FF01. I sold it as it was no good to me as it was, but it was flippin fast even in the condition I got it! 

Still no cap screws for the David Jun, and no servo screws for the RS. But some useful bits did come through this morning, and I had a quiet day at work so...

spacer.png

Not all the Integy parts will be useful, although they will all work

The Wide Track CC01 Conversion would do the same job as the TA03 wide rear axle set. The axles are the same length but this set takes up the extra width with a longer hex nut rather than a spacer. It is beautifully made, Integy / Square RC's parts are infinitely better than the Jazrider / GPM / Yeah Racing stuff. But I managed to find a set of the TA03 wide axles and a brass bushing to replace the spacer, so this Integy set is no longer required and will find its way onto eBay

Same goes for the Universal Assembly. They're the same dimensions as the TA03 universals, though the axle cup is a little deeper but still fits perfectly:

spacer.png

The issue is you would hardly know that it's there, the red-theme of the build wouldn't visually benefit from that red ring buried inside the upright. So no need to go off-reservation at all and I can use these Tamiya TA03 Pink Universals I picked up cheap in Japan as they are (very) lightly used 

spacer.png

The red ball nuts are great and finished off the upper arm and tie-rod mounts perfectly, and the damper ball mounts also worked a treat even though they are a slightly different shape to the Tamiya part

spacer.png

The MST rims are cracking, a much better visual match to the 1996 Le Mans car than the Tamiya mesh wheels, and the variable offsets are handy though I didn't need them; 3mm on the front and 3mm plus a 1mm wheel spacer on the rear, together with the wide rear axle conversion, and the track fits the body shell perfectly

spacer.png

• Like 2

Then the last pages of the manual revealed a nasty little surprise....instructions for what to do if you decide to add TRF style dampers, which is different to the kit CVAs. You need a spacer and an o-ring in the fronts, and an o-ring in the rears. Which means I needed to dismantle and rebuild the dampers, one of my least favourite messy jobs :rolleyes:

To make it worth my while, I decided to use these titanium coated rods I found in another kit box

spacer.png

But with that done (and the motor installed) I could stick the wheels on and check the ride height and bodyshell fit, both of which are looking good I reckon

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 9

A little more footering around the edges while waiting for screws....attaching some 'tail-pipes' :)

These Yeah Racing jobs look the part and ended up fitting really nicely

spacer.png

There are two holes in the top of the rear gearbox, behind the stabiliser mount, that were unused and took an M3 screw. I needed 5mm of spacers to lift it just enough to clear the stabiliser bar and still fit the shell properly, so there are some temporary bits in place now and some red 5mm spacers on their way from China

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip with the exhaust tips. That was a pita on my gt2 tbh. I ended up fixing it to the shell as I didn't find nice fitting points on the chassis. But this looks good. You had to bend it a lot, didn't you? How difficult was it to get this right? BTW I prefer the original Tamiya bbs style wheels by far. but I also don't like the mst wheels that e. G. Rckicks puts on the 934. I find them too big to look proper scalish. 

14 minutes ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Thanks for the tip with the exhaust tips. That was a pita on my gt2 tbh. I ended up fixing it to the shell as I didn't find nice fitting points on the chassis. But this looks good. 

No bending at all, that's how they come. It was more about getting the spacing right to clear the stabiliser but still exit the tail at the right height

14 minutes ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

BTW I prefer the original Tamiya bbs style wheels by far. but I also don't like the mst wheels that e. G. Rckicks puts on the 934. I find them too big to look proper scalish. 

We'll agree to disagree, I think the MST rims are a better match for what I'm gunning for :ph34r: But I might change my mind :lol:

41 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

Just need back fire kit for those pipes.  

Is that....a thing??

3 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Well that just looks like a hot mess 😂

Cap screws arrived! So I could pick up the David Jun restoration again and finally get that lovely Dynarun fitted :)

spacer.png

It also struck me that, despite the ultrasonic clean, some of the aluminium parts were looking a little gloomy and tarnished, so I bought some Autosol to give them a polish. It worked a treat and they came up lovely

It's a weird light day today, either full sun or pitch black, so these photos aren't great but hopefully you get the gist

Before:

spacer.png spacer.png

After

spacer.png spacer.png

And that's the front gearbox done. Rebuilt with all OG parts cleaned and restored, apart from new A Parts, new knuckles and the addition of hardened outdrives. Oh, and machine screws instead of self tappers...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Same deal with the rear gearbox. Everything cleaned up lovely in the ultrasonic, so just needed a bit of Autosol on the pulley flange and uprights to brighten them up a bit

Rebuilt with all OG parts apart from a new B Parts tree and the addition of clamp style hubs and hardened outdrives. And machine screws...

spacer.png

• Like 5

Just about time to rebuild the low friction dampers today. Only really needed a few fresh o-rings but decided to use new V parts too; when they're that cheap at Plaza Japan, why not?

spacer.png

I went with the hard oil because although I'm rebuilding it to box spec for now (with the blue harder springs) it will ultimately wear the fluoro yellow springs (medium) so thought the harder oil would help compensate for the softer springs

spacer.png

My first time building this type of damper, they are silky smooth :)

• Like 6

The final screws for the RS finally arrived! One day shy of four weeks from order to delivery :blink:

spacer.png

The 15mm Aliexpress jobs aren't great, they're a slightly different red to the YR screws. In fact, there's at least two that are a different red to the rest of the pack :lol:. My first dance with Aliexpress, I suspect it will be the last

Anyway, it meant I could get the servo built and replace the body post, motor cover and damper mount screws and finish the chassis build

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3