Full rebuild with:

• waterproof electronics (new purchases)
  • front bumper (new purchase)
  • HT servo saver (new purchase)
  • full ball bearings (stock spares)
  • aluminium hex hubs (stock spares)
  • front suspension pins (stock spares)
  • front and rear stabilisers (stock spares)
  • rally block tyres (stock spares)
  • longer shocks with Mini CVA front springs (on front and rear / stock spares)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

My bits-a-builds projects and TRF415MSX restoration are awaiting parts, but the last little bit of purple arrived today so I'm going to start on my TA03F-Pro 'Purple Haze' 

The base kit is a TA03F-Pro Drift Spec, which will not be built to 'drift spec' 😂. As far as I can tell the only drifty thing about the kit were hard plastic tyres and an aluminium heat sink, so it's not like it was really a dedicated drift kit in the first place 

spacer.png

The purple elements are mostly small hardware (screws, nuts and ball connectors) but there are also some nice damper springs, servo mounts, drive shafts, front C-Hubs and a servo horn

spacer.png

And then there are a few other tasty Hop Ups to be incorporated along the way

spacer.png

The reason for pushing ahead with this one is that the body is already done. It's an AMG GT3 shell that I painted a few weeks back and intended to sell, but unfortunately really liked it so decided to keep! It's currently sat on a TA04-R which is destined for an Audi R8 LMS, so it needs a home and will fit well on a TA03F, so...

spacer.png

I've done nothing but bits-a-builds this year, so it's a treat to have an actual build manual to follow for a change 😊

spacer.png

• Like 5

That's a posh haul👍🏻

I wonder any purple ball connectors are left over after your build 😉😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, svenb said:

I wonder any purple ball connectors are left over after your build 😉😉

I'll let you know 👍

Straight into it this evening, first job to sort the hardware and make it easy to access

spacer.png

I bought as many purple screws as I could find, but think I'm going to be short of the 10mm round heads. We'll see how it goes...

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ball diffs built, using the stock balls for a change. I did upgrade the diff joints though...why not?

spacer.png

They are super shiny!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Attaching the front arms and bumper means breaking into the J Parts

This kit comes with a complete boxed FRP conversion kit inside it, containing the chassis plates and J Parts

spacer.png

Interestingly, the J Parts are black. I've owned (and sold) a TA03F FRP set and a TA03RS FRP set, and in both cases the J Parts were grey. As far as I am aware the black J Parts only come with the David Jun F-Pro and the R/RS-TRFs, so it was a surprise to find this 'bespoke’ set in this kit

spacer.png

• Like 3

The aftermarket purple screws look a fairly close colour match 👍🏻

I've just opened the metallic black dampers and I really like them, better than black black

• Like 1

11 hours ago, svenb said:

I've just opened the metallic black dampers and I really like them, better than black black

Yeah they’re smart aren’t they, the purple springs are a nice bright contrast too

Assembling the front damper stay and it's time to build the turnbuckle arms. I was pleased to find this set, I know all the bits are readily available but it’s handy to have the instruction leaflet for accurate measurements and the visual sizing aid

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then it’s onto the counter gear and Hop Up counter shaft...

spacer.png

Spur gear and Hop Up carbon shaft...

spacer.png

And finished off with a Hop Up aluminium pulley

spacer.png

• Like 1

Building up the front hubs meant taking the plunge with these after-market purple C-Hubs. They're specified for TA02 / FF chassis so not guaranteed to fit, so I also have a set of Tamiya silver hubs as a back up just in case

spacer.png

In the end, they fit perfectly. As far as I can tell the only real difference between these and the 'proper' TA03 carriers is that the TA03 carriers have an extra section on top with a hole in to receive the stabiliser bars. So by using these hubs I won't be able to attach front stabiliser bars, but I can live with that

spacer.png

• Like 3

Then with the hubs and drive shafts attached, it's time for motor decisions. In this case I'm going for a trusty black-can Sport Tuned paired with a 28T steel pinion. The only purple-can motors I could find were  Yokomo Drift Brushless motors which range from $84-$119...very nice, but a bit spenny

spacer.png

The kit comes with two different shaped motor plates. I've not come across the squared-off one before, so I went for the round one 🤷🏻‍♂️

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm liking the purple hubs👍🏻 a very close match in shade .

I'm not a fan of non tamiya but good choice 

19 hours ago, svenb said:

I'm liking the purple hubs👍🏻 a very close match in shade .

I'm not a fan of non tamiya but good choice 

Agreed, I'm getting less inclined towards non-Tamiya 'for the sake of it' bling but these looked like nice pieces and were a decent price. I'm chuffed with how they turned out, despite the loss of capacity for front stabilisers

GPM made a rear upright in purple once upon a time but I've not come across a set in a year of looking. If one ever shows up I will add them to this build 💜 

• Like 1

Been a busy but lovely day today; a nail-biting morning on the sofa watching the cricket (yay!!), a couple of hours in the garden doing the pre-winter tidy up, an autumnal walk along the canal and now a roast chicken in the oven. Perfect Sunday!

I managed to squeeze an hour in to work on the rear section of 'Purple Haze', pretty much the same Hop Ups as the front...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Front and rear all finished 😊

spacer.png

• Like 2

The SLF dampers are amazing, the inside walls of the cylinders are almost mirror polished 

spacer.png

When built, they're silky smooth 

spacer.png

The purple springs are a different shade to the anodised parts but are a good match, and really 'pop' against the black plastics 

spacer.png

• Like 4

With the front and rear sections complete, it's time to move onto the chassis plates which means breaking out the F-Pro FRP set that came with the kit, along with the black J Parts

spacer.png

It turned out I needed to make some choices, as the Hop Ups don't all work together. The QR Battery Holder doesn't fit if you use the Carbon Batter Plate, so I had to decided...and went for the QR Battery Holder 😁

spacer.png

I really like how this part works (functionally), and the fact it has an FRP plate makes it a better match with this chassis. Conversely, the CF battery plate didn't really work with the FRP plates

I've ordered a few extra bits of purple hardware (8mm cs screws, cs M3 washers, snap pins) to finish of the battery holder assembly 

• Like 2

Then onto steering, and again a couple of options to choose from...kit plastic or aluminium Hop Up?

spacer.png

In the end I stuck with the kit plastic, as I think the black works better with all the purple highlights 

spacer.png

I also left out the carbon steering bar, for the same reason that it doesn't really go with the FRP plates

spacer.png

• Like 2

And the belt is threaded through and front and rear sections attached 😃

spacer.png

• Like 3