Now all set to build the rear gearbox with ball diff, into Bag B…

spacer.png

The tray of Tamiya-flotsam is getting fuller and fuller 😂

• Like 3

On 1/12/2022 at 9:56 PM, M 800STD said:

The red is looking really good.

I went with silver on my F Pro.

Thanks! Red belt on the way too :D

• Like 1

Fun but steady couple of hours today building the rear gearbox. I've gone for a ball diff in the rear, I always like building a ball diff and this combo (gear front, ball rear) seems to work well in the TA02

I'm prone to a bits-a-build, so went that way with the ball diff. By buying all the bits from Tamico I was able to get two ball diffs for the price of one TA03 ball diff kit, and with hardened outdrives too! The other one will go in what's looking like a Build-3. A Rhapsody in Blue, to go with this Code Red! I also added Ceramic Nitride diff balls from eBay, just because...

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

41mm suspension shafts replace the 38mm screw pins in the lower arms, same as the front. I replaced the 3mm washers with these red spacers but by the time the screw is in you could hardly see them. They're definitely 'just for me' :lol:

spacer.png

Rear uprights secured using 25.3mm shafts instead of the 22mm screw pin. It's very satisfying removing all the tapping screw elements from a build 

spacer.png

• Like 6

These red ballstuds are so nice :wub: I am looking for months now, but cannot find a single bag. Where did you get them :P

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

These red ballstuds are so nice :wub: I am looking for months now, but cannot find a single bag. Where did you get them :P

Yeah they’re lovely aren’t they? I don’t know why Tamiya did such a short run of the red bits?

I got them from a hobby store in NZ at RRP; when bundled in with a few other parts the p&p was worth it. I actually ordered two packs but they revealed they only had one after they shipped the order, which was a bit frustrating. I’m four short for this build, so had to use four brass ones on the uprights 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Maybe one day I’ll find another set at a reasonable price 🙏 There’s a set on eBay right now, but at silly money 

• Like 1

That's going to look so cool with red belt.

You ever thought about just send parts off to be anodised?

Probably be cheaper.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, M 800STD said:

You ever thought about just send parts off to be anodised?

Probably be cheaper.

Now, that's interesting! 

I didn't know that was a thing. Is that a thing? Who does such a thing?

@Juhunio you’ve probably done this already, but if not worth asking Antony or James at Tony’s Tamiya if the 53643’s are actually discontinued rather than just out of stock everywhere. I did find this though, and the site has an English language option: https://shopee.co.id/READY-53643-Tamiya-5Mm-Aluminum-Ball-Connector-Red-LIMITED-i.175413530.12957294731

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, futureworks said:

@Juhunio you’ve probably done this already, but if not worth asking Antony or James at Tony’s Tamiya if the 53643’s are actually discontinued rather than just out of stock everywhere. I did find this though, and the site has an English language option: https://shopee.co.id/READY-53643-Tamiya-5Mm-Aluminum-Ball-Connector-Red-LIMITED-i.175413530.12957294731

Yup, I had seen that and managed to create an account, but it looks like the shipping is all domestic within India :(

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Now, that's interesting! 

I didn't know that was a thing. Is that a thing? Who does such a thing?

Just Google anodising and you will get a bunch of people near you who do it. Most have minimum orders and some don't do colours, and much like RIT dye, one company's red might not match another's, but ring around. What you would probably need to do for such tiny parts is wait until they get a big job through in that colour and yours can go in with. 

• Thanks 1

I've a suggestion!

53641 are the red 5mm ball nuts, they seem to be available so use some 3x10mm threaded shafts(9804194) and use the ball nuts in conjunction with them on the damper stays. Gives you 4 ball connectors to use elsewhere 👍

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, svenb said:

I've a suggestion!

53641 are the red 5mm ball nuts, they seem to be available so use some 3x10mm threaded shafts(9804194) and use the ball nuts in conjunction with them on the damper stays. Gives you 4 ball connectors to use elsewhere 👍

Yeah, I've been looking for them too! No joy though....where are you seeing them available?

I look a couple of weeks ago for some blue and they came up! It could have been Plazajapan but they don't have any now🙁

I've seen quite a few of the 6mm red ones, but not 5mm :( It's not a biggy, the red damper caps came with their own stepped ball nuts which are rather nice, so I will probably use those for the upper damper mounts and relocate the red ones to the uprights 

• Like 1

You can use the 6mm balls just swap the adjusters👍

Joy! I just discovered these, which will be perfect for the upper damper mounts as they look a match for the ball ends that came with the damper caps, but in red! They will free up four ball connectors for the uprights :)

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Oh where from?

https://www.integy.com/

They had some red 5mm ball nuts too!

And a few drive shaft / axle parts for the CC-01 that I reckon might work on a TA-03 too :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Motor choice is the SS RZ, I like all the SS motors but this one is the right colour :D

spacer.png

Using the ball diff in the rear means switching to 04 mod, and while I initially thought a 23T pinion would be ok I'm going to be happier with 24 to give me an FDR in the middle of the motor's range. So I'll have to wait for that to show up from HK before it can have a test run :rolleyes:. For now, the motor is installed without a pinion 

The rear axles are the wide axles, courtesy of @futureworks. They came without the spacer but  a 1260 bearing seems to do the job.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've ordered a 1260 brass bushing (the opposite of standard build-behaviour!!) to use in place of the ball bearing, cos its a better colour match! 

I can't find the proper gold rear wheels for the GT1, but the fronts are easy to come by. So my thinking is to use the fronts on both front and rear, and use the wide axles at the back to replicate the extra width / offset of the 'proper' rears to fill out the rear arches. Worth a crack...

So that's the front and rear gearboxes built, very satisfying build. The TA03 is great fun already :)

spacer.png

• Like 6

Damper time today...the cylinders and red bits are new, but I had all the other necessary hardware in the spares pots :) Going to get those blue bits up on eBay later...

spacer.png

After taking that photo I realised I should build them to TRF damper spec, with the right spacers and o-rings etc. So I raided a TRF set in my unbuilt XV-01 box to pilfer the bits...must remember to order replacements from PJ

spacer.png

• Like 3

Fun times with the dampers today! Turns out that while the kit might spec the shorter pistons in the front and longer in the rear, those longer ones are too long for the TRF cylinders. Which I only found out when they were full of oil. Messy :lol:

So back to raiding the 42102 set for some additional short pistons, and they're done

spacer.png

The springs are temporary for now until the 53163 sets arrive from HK. I'm going to use the red on this, the yellow on the David Jun and the blue on Build 3

Their fluorescent colours will go well with the TA03 stabiliser sets, and I think I've tracked two of them down two :ph34r:

Before moving on to the steering I realised I needed another three ball connectors:rolleyes: I've got the Square RC ball nuts en route, so moved the red Tamiya connectors from the front and rear uprights to use in the steering, and replaced them with brass ball nuts and 10mm screws. I figure they'll be the easier ones to switch over to the red Square nuts when they show up

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

When the red ball nuts and damper ball connectors turn up, it's gonna look sweeeeeet! I've decided to go all-in, and have ordered some red hex head screws too :D 

Can he create a special edition Evo III tribute TA03R-S? Sure-'e-kan :lol:

(Sorry)

• Like 3

The steering rack was next, and decided to use these 15mm turnbuckles in place of the kit 16mm shafts. I also seem to have accumulated a pile of these flanged tubes (below the red washers), and have used a lot of them recently on this and a TA02SW where I replaced all the step screws with hex head screws. They're dead handy, but I'm down to my last 3... I think they're part number 19803101, OD 3.6mm, ID 3mm, length 6mm?? Or maybe 13585060? I think they're the ones in the 03F-Pro manual to do the same job, though typically they're the only part in the manual without a code, just a description :rolleyes:

spacer.png

In the end the short adjusters were too, err, short...so I used the kit adjusters but trimmed 3mm off each one which worked a treat

spacer.png spacer.png

It's all quite nice and smooth, swinging around on those flanged tubes and the three ball connectors I liberated from the uprights 

spacer.png

• Like 2