Sign in to follow this  
alvinlwh

Christmas Holiday mystery Box build (Now a NSU)

This is the build diary of my Christmas holidays build. It will be different from my usual diary as I had already completed it but will not reveal the chassis until the end (although some will be able to guess it).

First off, the shell is a 210mm WB Toyota bB. The bB stands for black Box, so I am calling this the mystery Box.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I am starting off with Step 3 as I accidently wrapped some Green Slime I needed for Step 1 into my Christmas "present".

Step 3 - Front and Rear Suspension Arm Assembly

The kit is split into bag/steps.

spacer.png

Beautiful FRP chassis.

spacer.png

All plastic parts are very hard, even harder than Tamiya's reinforced parts I had worked with. The manufacturer calls them "high carbon" plastic.

spacer.png

No screw pins here and all screws are hex machine screws (which proves to be painful for me later on).

spacer.png

Front and rear lower suspension arms.

spacer.png

Suspension holders mounted on main chassis. Main chassis is very stiff even though it is "just" a flat 2.5mm thick plate.

spacer.png

Lower suspension arms mounted. Angle can be adjusted by changing the supporting arm (optional parts) that secure them to the chassis. Also available in metal versions.

spacer.png

Also ride height/droop (not sure which, I am still a beginner at this) can be adjusted with a set screw that limits travel.

• Like 1

Step 1 - Gear Differential Assembly

Green slim had arrived! So I can proceed with the build. Like many Tamiyas, step 1 is building the diff.

spacer.png

All the parts for the diff. While similar in construction to a Tamiya gear diff, this is an oil filled one, therefore the need for Green Slime.

spacer.png

The drive cap connects directly into the diff, so they are not easily lost in a crash.

spacer.png

Main diff "cup" half filled with 500k oil/grease/gel, my first time working with an oil diff.

spacer.png

Diff "cap" with gasket fitted. My gasket fits perfect although some earlier report said that it is too big and need trimming.

spacer.png

Planetary gears fitted and filled with oil.

spacer.png

And that is the diff done with the instructions.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Step 6 - Oil Damper Assembly

I am doing all the steps requiring Green Slime at once, including building a set of shocks for my Christmas M-06.

spacer.png

Shocks are all the same hard plastic supplied with #350 oil.

spacer.png

There are option of 2 or 3 holes piston.

spacer.png

And shocks done.

spacer.png

I have to say, screwing the rods into the hard plastic is hard work!

• Like 2

Step 2 - Bulkhead Assembly

Not sure why they call this step bulkhead as it is clearly the gearbox assembly. Bearings comes as standard OOB, no bushing to be seen anywhere in the kit.

spacer.png

Counter/idler gears are the same hard plastic. Alum versions available as an option.

spacer.png

Gearbox halves ready for the gears to go in.

spacer.png

Gears in and greased up with the supplied grease.

spacer.png

Halves sealed and ready for diff to be dropped in.

spacer.png

Diff in "drain pan" and bearings on.

spacer.png

Gearbox built.

spacer.png

Next is building the motor and fan mount.

spacer.png

One half of the mount is fitted to the gearbox.

spacer.png

The other half.

spacer.png

Adjustable metal motor mount plate, nice! Also available, alum heatsink style as an option but not sure why will it be needed other than looking cooler than just plain black.

spacer.png

Motor mount plate on, I think I gave away the chassis now.

spacer.png

Spur gear next.

spacer.png

Spur gear mounted.

spacer.png

And that is step 2 done.

• Like 1

Step 4 - Front and Rear Bulkhead Installation

This step involve fitting the gearbox and rear structural members to the chassis.

spacer.png

Mounted.

spacer.png

Building stabilizers.

Front first.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And strangely, that is step 4 done.

Step 5 - Front and Rear Stabilizer Assembly

Since the front was one up previously, straight on to install it on the chassis.

spacer.png

Installed.

spacer.png

Now on to the rear.

spacer.png

Rear stabilizer done.

spacer.png

The piece holding down the rear stabilizer also holds the upper deck.

spacer.png

Rear stabilizer inserted, there are 2 positions that it can be installed, and I will need to move it after completion due to it hitting the suspension because of my short wheelbase.

spacer.png

Upper deck and rear section completed.

spacer.png

Step 6 - Front and Rear Shock Tower Assembly

Front first.

spacer.png

Installed. There are 3 positions for fitting the upper shocks and 3 positions for fitting the upper suspension tierod.

spacer.png

And the rear, there is actually a second piece of this that is slightly different, although I am not sure what for.

spacer.png

And fitted.

spacer.png

The alternative piece for the rear does not have the fitting eyes for the body mount (will be discussed later) but have a different screw position to the piece used here.

Step 7 - Front and Rear Knuckle Assembly

Comes with universals and bearings as standard.

spacer.png

Front hubs done.

spacer.png

And front upper arms tierods.

spacer.png

One side fitted.

spacer.png

Both sides done.

spacer.png

Rear hubs.

spacer.png

Rear hubs assembled.

spacer.png

Rear upper suspension arms tierods.

spacer.png

Rear hubs installed.

spacer.png

Step 8 - Steering System Assembly

While the parts are plastic, they are the very hard plastic like the rest of the kit.

spacer.png

While similar to the M-05/6, the steering is more "firm".

spacer.png

Steering system installed.

spacer.png

Step 9 - Servo Installation

Step 10 - RC Unit Installation

This is where the construction became a little difficult as there are some reverse/"under" screws to be done. The sharp edges of the FRP decks are not hands friendly.

First the battery cage. This will get removed multiple times as I try to reach under the top deck but I have no fear of stripping the holes (unlike Tamiya where I prefer to build once and be done) as the plastic and screws used in this kit will come to a hard stop to let me know when it is tight enough.

spacer.png

Cage assembled.

spacer.png

Cage installed. There are 2 positions, normal and shorty. I have it in shorty position here.

spacer.png

Motor installed, note no pinion as I am waiting for some 48P pinions to arrive. Currently using a silver can as a placeholder. Since this is a new chassis to me, I do not want to fit an overpowered motor to it and I find that the 17.5t BL is a joke.

spacer.png

I cannot believe that there is actually not enough space to install the ESC and RX. I have to fit the RX to the battery cage, which is not ideal as it is not a flat or large enough surface. Alsom trying to undo the ariel holder from under the upper deck is a real pain.

spacer.png

Servo next. Again, some el-cheap-o servo as a placeholder as I feel that this chassis deserved something better than my usual 4 for £20 specials.

spacer.png

Servo fitted, which is painful, literitaly due to working in the narrow space between the decks with very hard to screw plastics, even when pre-treaded.

spacer.png

Step 12 - Oil Damper Installation

Front snap on without much of a fuss but plenty of pain due to the hard plastic.

spacer.png

The rear went on with a strange angle.

spacer.png

It just don't feel right to me so I swapped the ball screw to the other side of the suspension arm. L - Swapped R - Original instructions

spacer.png

Near - Swapped, Far - Original

spacer.png

Finished view.

spacer.png

Did I do the right thing? Leave a comment on what you think.

Step 13 - Front Bumper & Body Post Assembly

A little front bumper to at least give some protection.

spacer.png

Bumper built up, feels really tiny compared to my TT-01 one. Better than no bumper on my M-05.

spacer.png

Bumper installed.

spacer.png

Body posts, again of the hard plastic, which in this case could be a bad thing as they may break instead of bend in a roll over.

spacer.png

Front body posts installed. But they will be moved to the behind position later (will be explained later).

spacer.png

There are in fact 3 possible rear body posts positions, which was not explained in the instructions. In fact, the left post position is fitted directly to the chassis (which could be why there are 2 rear suspension mount pieces supplied, one without body posts holes), which was supplied but not explained in the instructions. This position is what I gone for as the bB is a very short body and I do not want the posts to be "right on the edge". The same reason I swapped the front posts as I do not want posts right at the front of the hood.

spacer.png

Rear posts fitted, front still not swapped yet.

spacer.png

Step 14 - Tire Set Assembly

Wheels and tyres came pre glued even though instructions called for gluing. The hex are the same hard plastic so I do not feel a need to replace with metal hex. Also the serrated nuts give me a bit more of a peace of mind that the wheels are less likely to fly off (as they usually do for me).

spacer.png

Wheels installed.

spacer.png

Step 15 -  Body Assembly

This chassis can come in a kit with a Civic body, which is not what I got. I got a bB body separately as I wanted a 210mm car, and I like the bB is the ugliest in that WB, and it is cheap.

Anyway, I made the mistake of fully painting the body before making body holes. Beginner's mistake!

spacer.png

So that's it, my Christmas Holidays mystery Box is mostly done, just need to wait for the pinions to arrive before it can run.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, it is a 3Racing Sakura MG Evo.

spacer.png

Bought directly from 3Racing HK for £55 (now £54, £ had gone up again) plus £15 delivered. Seems like I did not get taxed for it, although I am watching the mail for a letter from Fedex demanding tax for the next 2 weeks.

Like the M chassis, it can be built into 210/225/239mm WB, but unlike the M chassis kits, it comes with things like FRP chassis, CVA, universals, roll bars and bearings OOB.

That is the build diary for now, I will post my thoughts and feelings about this kit when I catch my breath.

• Like 2

Did a little minor work on the bB today, drilled a hole for the tip of the aerial to pass through. 

spacer.png

Also, as I said earlier, the rear stabiliser is in contact with the forward body post position. 

spacer.png

There is the option of moving the axis of the bar back 5mm and I will do that. 

While the 210mm WB of the shell works with the chassis at that setting, the shell is really short, forcing me to mount it at a higher position as it will not clear the front bumper. 

spacer.png

While it is possible to drop it 2 holes to have the bumper behind the shell bumper, the chassis bumper will press against it and the wheel will rub the wheel arches. 

Also, the rear chassis is slightly beyond the shell. 

spacer.png

These, TBH, are not really the fault of the chassis but the shell, I just went for a really short shell and this is the price to pay. 

So my thoughts about this chassis vs my M-05Ra. 

Really cheap (£55 + £15) with loads of what will be extra costs hop ups for the M-05. Oil diff, CVA, universals, metal motor mount, stabilisers, suspension pins and bearings. All extra cost items for the M-05. There are a small number of hop ups available, but at this moment, I do not feel the need. 

Really hard plastic all round. 

Machine hex head screws. Using an Allen key, while painful, ensures zero risk of stripping. Turn until it stops and that's it. I used Allen keys for the entire build and stripped my fingerprints instead of screw holes. 

Tons of adjustments including flexible motor fitting for pinion mashing. Also has a built in fan mount above the motor. 

Speaking of the motor, this has the pinion and spur gear exposed, which can be both a good or bad thing. It is good as it allows for quick pinion change and adjustment but bad as dirt will destroy the pinions in no time at all. 

Very stiff chassis. 

Extremely low ground clearance. The FRP chassis bottom will get scratches in no time at all. 

ZERO spare screws, while this is a useful reminder if I missed a screw, I also have to be sure not to loose any. 

Not as well laid out for electrics as the M-05. There is not even enough room to fit both an ESC and RX in on the upper deck. 

Instructions is not as good as Tamiya, just A4 print out secured with a binder. Some of the steps are not as well though out as Tamiya, requiring very difficult fittings in the space between decks. Will not recommend for a complete newbie with zero experience in model making or plans reading. 

Pinion not included! This is clearly not a beginner build as no motor or ESC is included, but as I do not have 48P pinions, I cannot run it until some arrives. 

Getting parts, while not impossible, will be more difficult than Tamiya. 3Racing themselves will be the best place to order but with the cost of postage and time. 

Will I buy one again? Yes, but not this one. I am considering a M4 (4WD) if I am to get another M chassis, but am also looking into MST kits. Also considering one of their touring/drift chassis as well. 

• Like 2

Run it without foam bumper, just the lower plate, or cut the foam back.

Shave the rear of chassis to fit within body.

Your pinion and spur gear will be fine, unless you are running in a filthy environment.

Get a chassis skin/protector if you are that worried.

7 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Run it without foam bumper, just the lower plate, or cut the foam back.

Shave the rear of chassis to fit within body.

Your pinion and spur gear will be fine, unless you are running in a filthy environment.

Get a chassis skin/protector if you are that worried.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will avoid any modification to the chassis at the moment  until I got a chance to test drive it. It is unknown how much protection is "needed" for this chassis. Also, have not decided on the final motor yet and that will be a factor too. One thing about shaving, there is not much room at the back from the end to the last screw holes, will shaving cause a problem? It will be OK if I am to keep this at 210/225mm forever and can probably chop the end off, but those holes are needed for 239mm setting.

I will be running it on tarmac footpaths and multicourt, not perfectly clean, but not dirt. This will not do any kind of off-road with its very low ground clearance. It will probably get caught up with manhole covers. 

I am not worried about scratches, just pointing it out for people who might be. 

Took the Allen keys out and shifted the roll bars back to the rear position. Now they no longer hit the body posts. 

spacer.png

Replaced the wheel hexes with some alum ones from Amazon. 

spacer.png

And mystery BOX. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Two items that are required for completing the build arrived today. 

Starting off, the 48p pinions. I ordered 24t, 26t and 28t. Since I have no experience with this chassis, and I am just using a silver can I decided to start off easy with the 24t. 

The mount allows for flexible pinion size as it has 2 slotted motor mounts instead of fixed position holes. I find that the best way is to set the mesh by securing the bottom screw first then the top as securing the top screw will have a torque movement that cause the mesh to be too tight. I checked that the mesh is correct by turning one of the front wheel, and of it turns the opposite wheel (diff action), it is too tight. But if it turns the motor instead, it is correct. 

spacer.png

Next up, a low profile servo. First removal of the e-cheap-o servo (and that's going into the M-06 build) and in with the low profile one.

spacer.png

Again, another round of painful Allen key action, but it was quicker this round as the screw holes are now treaded. 

spacer.png

I used the rubber bits for the fitting brackets as I thought it will give the servo some protection as it is a direct drive servo with no saver action at all. I am not sure if the horn is supposed to sit at this angle but I just fit it with the front wheels as straight as possible. I will adjust if it proves to be a problem. 

Time to tidy up the electronics. 

It is quite unbelievable that there is actually no place to mount the switch. Perhaps I had gotten too used to having a switch position on any Tamiya. This is the best position I can find that is flat and big enough for the large Tamiya sized switch. 

spacer.png

The rest of cables cable tied in. Cable management is surprisingly difficult with this chassis. 

spacer.png

The chassis against the body really shows how narrow it is. 

spacer.png