Sign in to follow this  
rich_morris

Cling Film

This is probably already widely known, but it turns out that Tamiya Lexan paints do not play nicely with kitchen cling film ..

I removed the outer film from my body shell after painting. I was very happy with the way the iridescent purple/green turned out! But the window tinting was not so good. I think the last bit of a can didn't coat well .

Not to worry, I had another can, so masked up the outside of the shell with cling film, and added a couple of coats of window tinting/smoke 

Unfortunately, I'd wrapped some cling film inside the body on the underside of the bonnet.

Where the window tint had oversprayed onto it, it had reacted, and bonded to the paint underneath. Removing it pulled off the black layer and most the tint. 

A small patch on the roof, where I momentarily allowed the cling film to touch also removed the paint. 

All noticeable from the outside. Best I could do was retouch, with a brush with black. Still noticeable, but the marks on the bonnet had to be covered with stickers. The small mark on the roof will have to be ignored.

Very annoyed with myself, as it looked so good before.

• Sad 1

Some Tamiya manuals have a warning that "all" thinners are not plastic safe (well, not 100% true but) and as you found out, it reacted badly with very thin plastic. Spray paints have a much higher thinner contents to allow them to be sprayed. 

Next time, use Tamiya masking tapes, they are specifically made to work with model paints. 

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Some Tamiya manuals have a warning that "all" thinners are not plastic safe (well, not 100% true but) and as you found out, it reacted badly with very thin plastic. Spray paints have a much higher thinner contents to allow them to be sprayed. 

Next time, use Tamiya masking tapes, they are specifically made to work with model paints. 

The annoying thing is, I have loads of Tamiya masking tape. I just thought I'd save some time, and wrap in cling film.

Lesson learned.😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rich_morris said:

The annoying thing is, I have loads of Tamiya masking tape. I just thought I'd save some time, and wrap in cling film.

Lesson learned.😄

I've painted dozens of bodies over the years. Frustratingly there is still a lesson learned with every one...:wacko: 

I'll get it right one day.:lol:

• Haha 1

Strangely enough,  the first lexan body that I ever painted arguably came out the best.

9 hours ago, rich_morris said:

Lesson learned.😄

There are things that just cannot be saved and Tamiya masking tape is one of them. Go to (almost) any model making YouTube channels and you will see them using Tamiya tape. I find that nothing else comes close. 

• Like 1